VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone, I have had some issues to save an output file in the MKV format, using HEVC (H.265) codec on VirtualDub_FilterMod 40087_5.
    I'm making an AMV (Anime Music Video). So, I'm cutting specific
    scenes, from several file formats, like MKV (AVC and HEVC) and MP4 (AVC and HEVC).
    To cut a file MKV or MP4 (HEVC), I just use the Direct Stream Copy, it works fine,
    and save it, in the MKV HEVC, without errors.
    But, when I'm cutting a MKV or MP4 (AVC), I don't use, "Direct Stream Copy" to save a output file, because I want it, in HEVC.
    So, I use the option to "Save As", selected: MKV. For the compression, I change (Uncompressed RGB/YCbCr) for x265vfw - H.265/MPEG-H codec (I did instal:
    x265vfw_x64_v160_x265b130_12bit_20170821) because the VB FilterMod doesn't came with H.265 HEVC output codec.
    Here is the thing, when I Try to Save As MKV, compression x265vfw - H.265/MPEG-H codec, appears an error in the end of the process, and all windows get closed
    However, the output file is saved, so I put it to play, but it doesn't show up any image, just a black window with audio playing, without video image.
    I hope didn't bothering you guys with a simple problem like this,
    It's just really important to me, to save the output file with a HEVC codec.
    I'll let the link of the VBFilterMod and the HEVC output codec that I used here.
    Anyways, thank you for your time!

Links:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/vdfiltermod/?source=directory
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpxplay/

[Attachment 42994 - Click to enlarge]

After installation of the HEVC codec
    [Attachment 42995 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Sounds like you selected 2-pass encoding, first pass. That creates an empty output file (and a stats file that is used by the second pass). Or, if x265vfw is like x264vfw, the output was sent to another file rather than the normal output file. Check the x265vfw config.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I never tested x265vfw and I believe it is not compatible with vdfm method of writing MKV files.
    If you are not afraid of scripts and command lines you may use "export via external encoder method".
    Or wait for next version, I have (very simple) embedded hevc codec.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Sounds like you selected 2-pass encoding, first pass. That creates an empty output file (and a stats file that is used by the second pass). Or, if x265vfw is like x264vfw, the output was sent to another file rather than the normal output file. Check the x265vfw config.
    If you don't mind, take a look, please.
    [Attachment 42996 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  5. As I suspected, you encoded with "Multipass - First Pass". If you want a multipass encode with a specifiec bitrate you must set up the first pass, encode, then set up the "Nth" pass and encode again. During the first pass the output file contains only a black video, the important thing is the stats file that's created. During the second (Nth) pass the stats file is used to allocate bitrate and video will appear in the output file.

If you don't need a file of a specific size you should use crf mode instead. You specify the quality you want and the encoder uses whatever bitrate is necessary to achieve that quality, in a single pass.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by shekh View Post
    I never tested x265vfw and I believe it is not compatible with vdfm method of writing MKV files.
    If you are not afraid of scripts and command lines you may use "export via external encoder method".
    Or wait for next version, I have (very simple) embedded hevc codec.

About External Encoder option, I don't have much expertise with scripts and command lines.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't came with External Encoder,
    [Attachment 42997 - Click to enlarge]

But, I found in another thread, the solution to get an External Encoder Option to use on Virtual Dub Filter Mod.
    And fortunately, this pack came well done. I didn't have any trouble with it, works fine.

Thanks to @racer-x, for made available his profile section and thanks to @Nologic, for his little changes and improvements.

If anyone wants to check this out, take a look of this, it's all here:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/367446-Virtualdub-External-Encoder-feature/page3

[Attachment 43002 - Click to enlarge]

And using jagabo's tip, I finally got it the way to save the output file into a MKV HEVC, by using CRF mode on the settings. Just using the option "Save As". Works properly! Thanks @jagabo , I really appreciate it your support!

This thread's solved.

Best regards!
    Last edited by ResetMaster; 31st Aug 2017 at 08:00.
    Quote Quote