VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Howdy!

I have a loaded question, which I probably should have asked BEFORE starting my projects (long completed), because I'm not going to redo them due to the complexity of the editing, but which might help me for future endeavors.

Anywho, awhile back I did an IMAX recreation of The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises, which has the image ballooning from its 2:39 shots to the 1.43 IMAX scenes. This is ideal for full-screen projector viewing but not so much on HDTV, which has it pillarboxed.

I created it in AVS4YOU, and framed the entire picture in the 1.33 setting, as I couldn't create a "custom" 1.43 frame, which would have presented as the scenes do on the supplemental disc from which they originated. This resulted in my IMAX having slight letterboxing, but that's neither here nor there.

The question I have is about resolution. I authored the movies to be put on standard 1080 Blu-ray discs, and due to finances, I only planning on getting a 1080 projector, nothing fancier. (Yet, anyway). I know quite a lot about aspect ratios, but not much about resolution, other than say 1080, 720, and 480.

When encoding, should I have done the resolution for the full 16:9 Blu-ray image (1920×1080), the 1.33 frame (1920×1440), or a 1.43 image (which I would have to calculate)? Would it make a difference, or would it not matter because it's on the standard Blu-ray? If it does make a difference, would the quality of 2:39 scenes within the 1:33 frame be affected as they aren't in THEIR proper resolution? (Full disclosure: when I have watched it on my TV, the image does look spectacular.)

I know that's a lot and the answer is probably common sense, but I'm a novice, so I'm kinda dumb.

Thanks in advance!

Jason
    Quote Quote  
  2. Blu-ray is very restricted as far as frame size and frame rates are concerned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#Video

You will have to letterbox/pillarbox everything in a 1920x1080 or 1280x720 frame.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Why bother with optical discs at all?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Blu-ray is very restricted as far as frame size and frame rates are concerned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#Video

You will have to letterbox/pillarbox everything in a 1920x1080 or 1280x720 frame.
    So I'm good then. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Why bother with optical discs at all?
    I dunno. Comfort? Familiarity? It's just what I'm used to. I guess I could do flashdrives or what not, but for whatever reason, I just like discs.
    Quote Quote