VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been uploading some videos to Youtube and unfortunately just today I noticed that they are being handled wrong by their converters.

For some reason, Youtube is not expanding the levels of my videos so they look opaque. This is one of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSILf3Y2JcY

I thought that I could be doing something wrong but the source videos actually look fine on computer (right levels). They are 4:2:0 according to MediaInfo, so Youtube for some reason is handling them as if they were full range and not limited.

Reading another forum, Poisondeathray mentioned that there's a flag aside from the actual range of the video that Youtube is taking into account to determine if the video is going to be expanded to full levels or converted like mine. I want to know if this is possible to do with an MKV container. I'm using MKVToolnix GUI to convert the videos I'm uploading by the way.
    Quote Quote  
  2. https://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/index.html#Range
    Can be edited using mkvtoolnix' header editor, propedit or mkvmerge. But I don't know if Youtube cares about it.

Aside from container there is also flag in the bitstream of some codecs
    For already encoded H.264 see: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=152419
    With x264 and x265 you can set during encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by enzeru View Post
    I've been uploading some videos to Youtube and unfortunately just today I noticed that they are being handled wrong by their converters.

For some reason, Youtube is not expanding the levels of my videos so they look opaque. This is one of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSILf3Y2JcY

I thought that I could be doing something wrong but the source videos actually look fine on computer (right levels). They are 4:2:0 according to MediaInfo, so Youtube for some reason is handling them as if they were full range and not limited.

Reading another forum, Poisondeathray mentioned that there's a flag aside from the actual range of the video that Youtube is taking into account to determine if the video is going to be expanded to full levels or converted like mine. I want to know if this is possible to do with an MKV container. I'm using MKVToolnix GUI to convert the videos I'm uploading by the way.

4:2:0 indicates chroma subsampling, it's independent of full vs. limited range

Your video looks fine to me on youtube. Black is black. White is white. Maybe you have a configuration/playback problem?

When you download the video, the levels are correct too Y~16 black, Y~235 white . It's easy to tell because at the very beginning there is a "black" section, and at the very end there is a fade to "white" . So that suggests a playback configuration problem on your end. Check your graphics card settings

If your upload has a full range flag, youtube will clamp the re-encode, regardless of what the actual levels are. But that's NOT what's happening here. If there was 8bit clamping, there would be evidence banding in the histogram and no overshoots >235 (it's smooth, and there are overshoots present) . So that suggests you uploaded normal range video, unflagged.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, looks fine here, too. (Should have watched before posting.)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you. I'm going to try with the MKV header only. Hope it works.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by enzeru View Post

4:2:0 indicates chroma subsampling, it's independent of full vs. limited range

Your video looks fine to me on youtube. Black is black. White is white. Maybe you have a configuration/playback problem?

When you download the video, the levels are correct too Y~16 black, Y~235 white . It's easy to tell because at the very beginning there is a "black" section, and at the very end there is a fade to "white" . So that suggests a playback configuration problem on your end. Check your graphics card settings

If your upload has a full range flag, youtube will clamp the re-encode, regardless of what the actual levels are. But that's NOT what's happening here. If there was 8bit clamping, there would be evidence banding in the histogram and no overshoots >235 (it's smooth, and there are overshoots present) . So that suggests you uploaded normal range video, unflagged.
    Really? It's weird because I watched another video on Youtube with the same intro and I can see the right levels on that, but in my it looks opaque. I'll try to check on another device...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are right. It looks fine on my cellphone. I don't know what's going on, but at least the uploaded video is ok, and that's what matters.
    Quote Quote