VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I really miss XP, everything worked better on it. I need a video editor, a freeware, to extract clips from various formats of video and assemble them, and images, into a new video. With a new audio file. I don't need to add exotic effects, make new CGI animations, plot out brain surgery, learn an alien language as far as a menu, etc. Or load a new OS. Does such a thing exist? It's rather important. I'd hate to have to hunt up an XP computer on Ebay and blow two or three hundred just to do this. I absolutely would if I had it to spend.
    I just need to make video clips, from various formats, for starters. A separate software to assemble them and add the audio track is fine.
    Thanks for your time, and, hopefully, for your help. I have looked, and tried several that hang up on Windows 7, have tortuous, counter-intuitive mind-bending interfaces with graphs and color wheels that I will never have need of, and the instructions are no real help. I would use VLC, but the clips have no sound.
    Quote Quote  
  2. What did you use on XP that worked OK for you -- but doesn't work on Windows 7 or 10 ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. If this is a one time project and you can do it in less than a couple of weeks, why not just use the free trial of any version of Vegas or even Premiere Pro?

Load up your full clips. Mark ins and outs. Subbclip if you like. Assemble. Output.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by pippas View Post
    What did you use on XP that worked OK for you -- but doesn't work on Windows 7 or 10 ?
    I don't even remember, it's been years. I did find an online thing that works to cut the clips out. I just don't understand why it's so hard to make it work in an offline program. Thanks for your reply.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    If this is a one time project and you can do it in less than a couple of weeks, why not just use the free trial of any version of Vegas or even Premiere Pro?

Load up your full clips. Mark ins and outs. Subbclip if you like. Assemble. Output.
    Thank you, I will look into it. Found an online service to cut out the clips. Thanks for your reply.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi

Why not "Avidemux"? Free, simple* & easy, autonomous: no codecs to install, & portable (just rename "avidemux.exe" to "avidemux_portable.exe").

Or "VirtualDub", also free and easy, but equipped with "FFInputDriver.vdplugin" (in "plugins32" subfolder) so that it will open almost all videos; knowing that it outputs to ".avi" container only — or to ".mp4", but complex to set...

"2 or 300 bucks to buy an XP machine"?! Instead, do the trash! — though it usually requires living in a city or town. Or garage sales. An XP box should never cost more than $50.

I'm using both Win. XP and 10 in such machines: found... in the streets. Main problem, with XP old central units: recoding — to AVC H.264 (x264) in "veryslow" mode anyway — takes for ever; while a basic 2013 "i3" laptop recodes between 4 and 6 times faster (than 2005~2008 "Pentium 4" CPUs).

Win. Vista and 8.x interfaces are hardly usable. So is Win. 7 IMHO and despite the fact it's SUPPOSED to be "the best"; I just don't agree: Win. 7 interface is ALSO a hassle.

Now, Win. 10 interface happens to be usable again — BUT: once the whole OS optimized... to the bone

= at least one long day if not more, of geek work, to rid it of a BUNCH of useless stuff, i.e. most auto. updates / upgrading, "Cortana" + unusable "full row select" craps, ETC. (I mean: MANY more)!

[ edit ] * Simple, here, means — mainly: no "timeline", and note, neither "crossfade" effect; but fade-to-black in/out OK**.

By defaut, "Avidemux" is set to "Copy" (on both video & audio streams) = no recoding = no quality loss, but cuts allowed ON key frames only, labelled "I (intra-frame)" at bottom, when found. Double triangle blue buttons will jump to key frames.

To cut BETWEEN key frames, at least select one of the top left Video section codecs; Audio can stay in Copy mode, or a codec can be selected as well.

** Fade-to-black filter: whatever you see, just assume "hours: mn: sec: milliseconds": in THAT order (& no other), or check:
    Originally Posted by bulgom View Post
    (...) "Fade to black" simple mod.: clarified interface (or I hope so ) — see attachment: Avidemux_Win__FadeToBlack-flt_quick-mod_aug-2017.7z

Last edited by bulgom; 4th Sep 2017 at 18:17.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thank youn very much!

Originally Posted by bulgom View Post
    Hi

Why not "Avidemux"? Free, easy, autonomous: no codecs to install, & portable (simply rename "avidemux.exe" to "avidemux_portable.exe")....
    Quote Quote