VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

quick question, if I have two copies of the same movie in MKV, both in a different language, and want to add the audio track from one, to the other using mkvmerge, will mkvmerge keep the tracks settings/properties from the original file (like audio delay, fps + whatever else may have been manually set) or do I have to re-enter them? I understand that the newly added track may not be in sync with the video, but that's fine as I can adjust it after. I just wanna make sure that the MKV movie to which I'm adding the new audio track remains untouched apart from that new track.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mkvmerge will preserve all source properties as best as it can. (of course this works best if source file is mkv)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Mkvmerge will preserve all source properties as best as it can. (of course this works best if source file is mkv)
    thanks mate, if you don't mind me asking, do you have any examples of properties it may not be able to keep assuming MKV files (I always work with MKVs so avi/mp4 related stuff doesn't matter)?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Track name, timings (result from delay and fps), aspect ratio, language will be kept. But for example if you have 2 audio tracks in 2 mkv files were both are default track only one of them will be default after merging. Some more technical details may be changed e.g. mkv compression (header removal, zlib, ...) will be reset to mkvmerge default (I doubt that will be important to you).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Ah that's perfect, thanks a lot buddy!!

Last thing, I assume I have to add the main MKV first right ? or does the order in which the tracks are added not matter ?
    Quote Quote