VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    What is the best software to edit movies and export the final edit via x264 with custom arguments?

I'm trying to edit a backup of a blu-ray but want to export the final edit with x264. I'm currently using Vegas Pro 14 with x264vfw and the results aren't turning out very good compared to simple x264/x265 launcher for encoding.

I was thinking of rendering the final edit as uncompressed or with a high bitrate h.264 version then encoding that with x264 but I don't like the idea of multiple encodes as each encode loses more detail. I am fine with the one final encode because the final will be a lower bitrate to what the blu-ray originally was but not by much.

Any help is appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by TE16 View Post
    I was thinking of rendering the final edit as uncompressed or with a high bitrate h.264 version then encoding that with x264 but I don't like the idea of multiple encodes as each encode loses more detail.
    Multiple encodes to lossless AVI (uncompressed is unnecessary) loses no detail. Exactly what kind of edits are you doing? And do you have a sample showing what displeases you about the outcome?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by TE16 View Post
    I'm currently using Vegas Pro 14 with x264vfw and the results aren't turning out very good compared to simple x264/x265 launcher for encoding..
    Not very good in what way? Whether you use x264 through vfw interface or x264/x265 launcher the quality/compression should be 100% identical. It's just a matter of choosing the same settings.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I don't have a sample no. I will try the route of encoding to lossless and then encoding the final in Simple x264/x265 launcher.

My settings in both Simple x264/x265 launcher and vfw were identical just there was a lot of banding and some glitching on the final encode which I don't wan't. Simple x264/x265 launcher doesnt have this problem when encoding from my time using it.
    Quote Quote