VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a non-HDMI setup I use for things like international movies. So my requirements for the player are that it can play burned DVDs. Simple enough, right?

I've gone through 4 DVD players, old (2004) and new (2017), that are supposed to be able to do this but are not capable in practice. Burned DVDs always hiccup and pause at random points. Not all the time, but enough to be noticeable. On my 4k setup, these burned discs play fine.

So my next focus was on burn quality. I've tried four different DVD burners (ASUS DRW-24B3ST, HL-DT-ST GH42NSC0, Matsushita UJ-8A8, and HL-DT-ST UH10LS20), and my scan quality from Nero Discspeed never falls below 90. I only use Verbatims. Skips occur more often with DLs.

Is it not possible to get seamless playback with burned media? Most online recomendations say "cheapest player that works." This is not accurate, because of all the DVD players I've tried, all skip. The only players that don't skip are high-end machines like the Playstation 3 and my Mac.

One more thing, when I started I wanted to have on-the-fly PAL to NTSC conversion and VCD playback (which two of the DVD players I own are capable of doing reasonably well). However, at this point I'll settle for simple good playback of burned DVDs. Is there a non-HDMI player out there that will play burned media as well as pressed media? I don't care if it's old or new.

I could get another PS3 or an HTPC, but that seems silly and excessive. Ideally I'd get rid of optical media altogether, but most boxes are HDMI only and require lots of work to get your movies on it and don't support DVD menus (which isn't that important really).

In a perfect world, I'd also appreciate Blu-ray playback, but all these factors (PAL>NTSC, VCD, -/+R support, non-HDMI, and BR) seems unlikely to me.

I apologize if this is the wrong section, but playback of burned media has most to do with DVD writers from my perspective.
    Last edited by Apples555; 26th Aug 2017 at 13:09.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Player selection varies by country. Without knowing what country you'll be shopping in it is hard to recommend anything.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What brand of blank disc's do you use ? ? The best ones
    Are the verbatim ones. Also how fast are you burning your disc's ??
    Try burning at 4x speed. And use imgburn .
    Quote Quote  
  4. Verbatims. I've tried all speeds but I usually stick with lowest (6x in my drive).

I use IMGBurn.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    2012 was the last year that a license could be granted to a Blu-ray player with any analog video connections, and at that point, the analog video connections were already limited to SD output. 2010 was the last year that a license could be granted to a Blu-ray player with component video connections capable of HD output.

This is the newest player I know of with composite video out, and composite video out only works for DVD: https://www.amazon.com/Seiki-SR4KP1-Up-Converting-Blu-Player/dp/B00MB54M9W It is supposed to be easy to make region-free. Will it be prone to skipping when playing your personal collection of burned media? I have no idea. Can it convert from PAL to NTSC when using composite out? I have no idea. I strongly suspect that it can convert from PAL to NTSC when using HDMI. Can it display N. American closed captions when using HDMI? Unknown. Does it transmit closed captions via composite video when playing DVDs? Unknown. VCD playback? Doubtful.

Unless you are using a CRT TV, analog video connections on the player should not be a necessity.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Aug 2017 at 15:43.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Apples555 View Post
    Verbatims. I've tried all speeds but I usually stick with lowest (6x in my drive).

I use IMGBurn.
    Just to elminate the possibility, you are using Verbatim Datalife (Azo) (purple or orange packaging) and not Verbatim Life (white packaging)?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Verbatims. I've tried all speeds but I usually stick with lowest (6x in my drive).

I use IMGBurn.
    Just to elminate the possibility, you are using Verbatim Datalife (Azo) (purple or orange packaging) and not Verbatim Life (white packaging)?
    Verbatim Life doesn't use white packaging anymore: https://www.staples-3p.com/s7/is/image/Staples/s0959405_sc7?$splssku$
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Aug 2017 at 17:06. Reason: fix link
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post

I use IMGBurn.
    I only use AZO (orange packaging).
    Quote Quote  
  9. I've tried 4 DVD players so far. The 3 players I have that do NTSC>PAL conversion on the fly are also cheap and weigh almost nothing so that might be the reason for their skipping. I also tried a Toshiba. Next, I'm going to try my friend's old Sony DVP-NS755V which is supposed to be compatible.

These discs play perfectly in my PS3.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I think you may want to check out the Oppo BDP-83. I have one and it plays burned media quite well. It also plays Blu-rays. According to the manual, it also converts discs PAL to NTSC. Can't vouch for that as I've never tried it. The manual doesn't say if it plays VCDs or not. The BDP-83 does have component video out and you can set it to output 1080i. Again, I've never tried that (I use HDMI out).

I will say that Oppos are typically well-built units and I really like mine.
    84Lion
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM

I use IMGBurn.
    There's another setting to use in imgburn click tools - settings - write - page 1 - check Perform OPC before write, click ok and try burning the disc again.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    There's another setting to use in imgburn click tools - settings - write - page 1 - check Perform OPC before write, click ok and try burning the disc again.
    That's a good tip and one I already use. I get an average of 95 quality score on my burns from Nero Discspeed.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I think you may want to check out the Oppo BDP-83. I have one and it plays burned media quite well. It also plays Blu-rays. According to the manual, it also converts discs PAL to NTSC. Can't vouch for that as I've never tried it. The manual doesn't say if it plays VCDs or not. The BDP-83 does have component video out and you can set it to output 1080i. Again, I've never tried that (I use HDMI out).

I will say that Oppos are typically well-built units and I really like mine.
    Thanks for the recommendation, I might pick one up.
    Quote Quote  
  14. The Sony DVP-NS755V plays all my discs perfectly. I must've just had a string of bad players.
    Quote Quote