VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or buy Replay Video Capture or PlayON and record Netflix, HBO, etc! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 27 of 27
Thread
  1. I have the Shawshank Redemption Bluray remux that has a single subtitle file (sub file is HERE). However when I play back the video it has 2 subtitles that can be played: English and English Forced subtitles. The problem is that when I play the video, the English subs play by default. There's no way to tell MPC-HC to play the forced subs by default.

    Is there a way to do this? Is there a way to extract the subs into 2 seperate files so that when I remux them I can set the forced subs to play by default in MKV Toolnix?
    Last edited by VideoFanatic; 6th Sep 2017 at 05:33.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by VideoFanatic View Post
    There's no way to tell MPC-HC to play the forced subs by default.
    Look into LAV Splitter settings.

    Originally Posted by VideoFanatic View Post
    Is there a way to do this? Is there a way to extract the subs into 2 seperate files so that when I remux them I can set the forced subs to play by default in MKV Toolnix?
    Extract. Filter forced lines using BDSup2Sub. Remux.
    Quote Quote  
  3. How do I filter forced lines using BDSup2Sub? I don't see any option that lets me filter just the forced lines.
    Quote Quote  
  4. There's a checkbox when you save/export.
    Quote Quote  
  5. HERE is the sub file. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I drag the sub file into BDSup2Sub and click OK. In the Output format I select "Sup (BD)". I click export but there's no option to save just the English subs or the English Forced subs.

    Can someone give it a try please and let me know how to do it properly.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Doesn't look like your subtitles has any forced subtitles.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Forced.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	43064
    Quote Quote  
  7. Don't think the movie does but was confused when I saw them as a selectable subtitle option in the video playback. Can you please tell me how you found that out so I know how to check for myself in the future. The Bluray still shows 2 sets of subtitles though. Is there a way to remove the fake forced subtitles so it doesn't appear in the Bluray as a selectable subtitle file?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by VideoFanatic View Post
    Can you please tell me how you found that out so I know how to check for myself in the future.
    Look at the screenshot he made for you. He marked it red: "Detected 0 forced captions" (and the filter option is greyed out when exporting).


    Originally Posted by VideoFanatic View Post
    The Bluray still shows 2 sets of subtitles though.
    Shows where? Upload a sample file (of the muxed video, not just the extracted subtitle) and a MediaInfo log. Note that LAV Splitter creates a "fake" subtitle track if any PGS/SUP is present and the "Enable Automatic Forced Subtitle Stream" option is activated. The "fake" track filters out any non-forced lines.

    Like I said earlier: LAV Splitter has (advanced) options for subtitle handling. Learn how to use them.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    United States
    Search PM
    Unless "you" remux the source then leave it alone. When going from Blu-ray ISO to MKV with MakeMKV. It automatically creates any forced subs in the same file. PGS. YOU or whoever is converting to MKV needs to understand the basics Same goes with audio, DTS-HD or unchecking to strip DTS core, if you check both you get 2 separate files. The original PGS subs are better left untouched, just saying.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I've got another video and I opened the ".sub" file into BDSup2Sub and it says "Detected 0 forced captions". Yet the video when played back shows English subs and forced subs. How can I remove the forced subs from the subtitle file?

    It's also annoying that in MakeMKV I ticked the English subtitles and Forced subtitles which suggests there are 2 files yet I noticed that when the forced subs were selected during playback that there was no subs for the foreign language parts of a movie. It seems there's no way to know if a movie has forced subs for sure other than to watch it and wait to see if foreign language parts have English subs.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member netmask56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by VideoFanatic View Post
    I have the Shawshank Redemption Bluray remux that has a single subtitle file (sub file is HERE). However when I play back the video it has 2 subtitles that can be played: English and English Forced subtitles. The problem is that when I play the video, the English subs play by default. There's no way to tell MPC-HC to play the forced subs by default.

    Is there a way to do this? Is there a way to extract the subs into 2 seperate files so that when I remux them I can set the forced subs to play by default in MKV Toolnix?
    From this I presume you are speaking of a MKV file? If so you can add, remove, make the subtitle track of your choosing "forced" all in MKVToolNix. You can extract any track within the MKV file with MKVCleaver. Also post a MediaInfo report of your file, it would make it a lot easier to assist.
    BeyonWiz T3 PVR ~ Popcorn A-500 ~ Samsung ES8000 65" LED TV ~ Windows 7 64bit ~ Yamaha RX-A1070 ~ QnapTS851-4G
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by VideoFanatic View Post
    It seems there's no way to know if a movie has forced subs for sure other than to watch it and wait to see if foreign language parts have English subs.
    Yes, that's pretty much true. MakeMKV "forced" subtitles only detects lines that have been marked with the "forced" flag by the authoring house. But not all authoring houses use that. Some simply put the e.g. alien languages (e.g. LOTR Elvish) into a separate subtitle track.

    You can only guess by looking at the files:
    - how many lines does it have? Hundreds? Then it's likely the complete subtitle. Only a few? Then it's probably forced one's only even if no lines are flagged as "forced".
    Quote Quote  
  13. Sneaker, is there any way to stop the single subtitle file being shown in the video as having English subtitles and forced subs when it only has English subtitles?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by VideoFanatic View Post
    Sneaker, is there any way to stop the single subtitle file being shown in the video as having English subtitles and forced subs when it only has English subtitles?
    What video? Shown where?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Any video. I watch videos in MPC-HC.
    Quote Quote  
  16. You mean the "fake"/virtual track? Read post #8.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I've attached some samples and here's the mediainfo: mediainfo.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by VideoFanatic; 13th Mar 2018 at 15:35.
    Quote Quote  
  18. What am I supposed to see?
    Quote Quote  
  19. You said look at post 8 so I uploaded samples like you asked. Is there a way to remove the forced subtitles and just keep the normal subtitles?
    Quote Quote  
  20. You mean the subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired (SDH), like "(DARK MUSIC)", "(GIRL SQUEALS)" etc? That will not be easy. You could run through SubtitleEdit with doing OCR first and then "Tools"->"Remove text for hearing impaired". But then you end up with simple text without the original positioning, colors, fonts.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I'm referring to forced subtitles which give subtitles during foreign language parts. But there isn't actually any forced subs shown in this movie so I want to remove the forced subs so I don't get an option to view forced subs in MPC-HC when playing the video back.
    Quote Quote  
  22. You mean this (from post #8)?
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Note that LAV Splitter creates a "fake" subtitle track if any PGS/SUP is present and the "Enable Automatic Forced Subtitle Stream" option is activated.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Yes. So how do I remove the fake forced subs?
    Quote Quote  
  24. By disabling the "Enable Automatic Forced Subtitle Stream" option, obviously.
    Quote Quote  
  25. That prevents you getting them if you still have the original disc or files. I'm asking how you remove them from a video when you don't have the original files. Some downloaded remuxes have this problem.

    Also when I make my own remuxes from discs I assume that when I see both English subtitles and forced subtitles as things to include in the remux that it does indeed have forced subs but sometimes these are fake and they have no subs for the foreign language parts. I don't watch videos immediately after remuxing them. I keep them for watching in the future and I don't have the discs anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  26. You can't remove something that isn't there. LAV only pretends there is a track. It's not actually in the file. If you want all your files to be consistent you will have to manually do the work on all your files. Because the Blu-Rays aren't consistent.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Your uploaded file does not have forced subtitles in it. You can download two sup files from that movie I have here from BD here and here
    They seams to have much less of that non verbal explanatory junk
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads