VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want to trim video files from my Panasonic DMC-TZ70, and my googling to try and find which software to use has only resulted in more questions than answers!

When I checked with MediaInfo, I thought the format was AVCHD (although the container is MP4). When I checked the camera manual, I saw that there is the option of using either AVCHD or MP4. It is set to MP4.

[Attachment 42864 - Click to enlarge]

So I am a bit confused as to if the videos are AVCHD or MP4?

I saw a lot about AVCHD being not so easy to work with. Does this not apply to my videos within a MP4 container?
    If so does this mean that I can use MPEG Streamclip to trim the files? I did try it and it seemed to be OK.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Vladimir81 View Post
    I want to trim video files from my Panasonic DMC-TZ70, and my googling to try and find which software to use has only resulted in more questions than answers!

When I checked with MediaInfo, I thought the format was AVCHD (although the container is MP4). When I checked the camera manual, I saw that there is the option of using either AVCHD or MP4. It is set to MP4.

So I am a bit confused as to if the videos are AVCHD or MP4?

I saw a lot about AVCHD being not so easy to work with. Does this not apply to my videos within a MP4 container?
    If so does this mean that I can use MPEG Streamclip to trim the files? I did try it and it seemed to be OK.
    You are confusing the container format with its contents. You have an mp4 file containing AVC/H.264 video and AAC audio. AVCHD uses m2ts files, typically containing AVC/H.264 video and AC-3 audio.

AVC/H.264 video and AAC audio are also compatible with other containers in addition to mp4, such as ts and mkv.

MPEG Streamclip could work. (I used to use it, but it doesn't work with my current system.) There are better editors available if you are willing to pay for them.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for clearing that up. Not the first time I have been confused with container/contents having same name!

I have hundreds of videos to edit so I don't mind paying for something that will do a better job than a free option, or be easier/more efficient to use.

It looks like VideoReDo TVSuite is one of the most popular options for my purposes here (I am simply wanting to trim videos without reencoding).
    What are some of the advantages that make this worth paying for rather than using MPEG Streamclip/AviDemux or other free options?

I read a bit about issues like audio getting out of sync - even when just trimming the files (this may have only been a common problem with the AVCHD files though, which I thought mine were). So I wanted to be confident that whatever program I use to trim my videos, will be one that has been proven reliable enough that I can delete the originals.
    Quote Quote