VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I need to capture and process HDMI video with a PC, and display it on a screen for a project of mine. The video stream resolution will be 1920x1200@60p, it won't need recording, just processing and outputting (a bit of OCR every second or so, and some text overlays), but because of the OCR I'd like the captured stream to be reasonably crisp. I'll also need something to emulate the screen's EDID.

So far I think this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014MQIVPS should do the job for capturing, and I would use this https://www.hdfury.eu/en/home/5-dr-hdmi.html for EDID, but together these are pretty pricey ($250 + shipping). Do you guys think this can be done cheaper?

Edit:
    It seems even that the card I wanted doesn't support 1200p. FWIW I have 1200p60 input, but I'll settle for any framerate, even 10fps and lower, as long as the picture is clear.
    Last edited by taylorswift1111; 16th Aug 2017 at 18:46.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Magewell Pro Capture HDMI and USB Capture HDMI Gen 2 can accept resolutions up to 2048x2160 as input.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Do they support passthrough? I don't want to record, just display on a screen (preferably without much lag).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by taylorswift1111 View Post
    Do they support passthrough? I don't want to record, just display on a screen (preferably without much lag).
    It is possible to view video input to these devices without recording it, but they don't have a dedicated pass-through like some other capture devices have. (A dedicated pass-through is basically the output from one side of an internal splitter, the purpose of which is to allow games to be played without any apparent lag while recording.)

I don't know how much lag occurs using either of these Magwell devices, however if you are going to be "processing and outputting (a bit of OCR every second or so, and some text overlays", that is bound to cause some lag by itself.

There are few capture devices which accept 1920x1200 resolution to choose from. Any others will also be professional devices, and not less
    expensive.

[Edit] You should be able to get an idea of how much lag there is in this demo on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx2uldWz_K8

[Edit 2] The Magewell USB Capture HDMI Plus has a pass though (Magewell calls it a loop through) and supports 1920x1200 input. BTW a pass through won't allow you to view anything added to the video during processing.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 17th Aug 2017 at 16:19.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. It seems that passthrough doesn't mean what I thought it means.

This is too expensive for my budget, I think I'll have to find another way to do this, but thanks for the info!
    Quote Quote