VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have some DV footage that I want to archive in the Lagarith format.

I've read that DV is yuv411p colorspace.

What does this translate to in Lagarith? YV12, YUY2, or RGB?

I don't want to lose color information.

Also related question: Even if the source is not full RGB, when doing color correction, should I still output to full lossless RGB? Even if the source is not? I am thinking that perhaps the color correction might digitally create or shift colors inso that full RGB is warranted.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. What's the point of archiving DV with Lagarith? You're just going to get larger files (with possible exceptions for things like computer generated charts, cartoons with absolutely no noise, etc.). Do you have some application that doesn't support DV files?

But to answer your questions:

NTSC DV is YUV 4:1:1 interlaced. The closest of your list options is YUY2 (YUV 4:2:2). PAL DV is YUV 4:2:0 and the closest of your options is YV12.

Converting to RGB is of little use except for display. Some types of color correction are best done in RGB, but most can (and should) be done in YUV.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    What's the point of archiving DV with Lagarith? You're just going to get larger files (with possible exceptions for things like computer generated charts, cartoons with absolutely no noise, etc.). Do you have some application that doesn't support DV files?

NTSC DV is YUV 4:1:1 interlaced. The closest of your list options is YUY2 (YUV 4:2:2). PAL DV is YUV 4:2:0 and the closest of your options is YV12.

Converting to RGB is of little use except for display. Some types of color correction are best done in RGB, but most can (and should) be done in YUV.
    The programs I use (AviSynth, VirtualDub) are not compatible with DV codec. Plus I would like to archive in a codec thats under the GPL with full open source availability.

I am a programmer, so in the future even if Lagarith becomes unused I can take the source code and build a codec myself that would recover the data. Can't do that with DV.

Thanks for the info, I will use YUY2.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    What's the point of archiving DV with Lagarith? You're just going to get larger files (with possible exceptions for things like computer generated charts, cartoons with absolutely no noise, etc.). Do you have some application that doesn't support DV files?

Also, I have some VHS material I digitized to NTSC DV capture.

I'm assuming even after color correcting, YV12 with Lagarith is more than enough, since VHS's chroma and luma bandwidth is way below even YV12.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by robmausser View Post
    The programs I use (AviSynth, VirtualDub) are not compatible with DV codec.
    I work with DV AVI all the time using both AviSynth (using AviSource to open the DV AVI files) and VDub. Maybe you haven't installed a DV Codec. Try Cedocida.

I'm assuming even after color correcting, YV12 with Lagarith is more than enough, since VHS's chroma and luma bandwidth is way below even YV12.
    jagabo knows way more about the subject than I, but when working on my projects that began as DV AVI, each intermediate stage is saved as Lagarith and YV12.
    Quote Quote  
  6. VirtualDub and AviSynth both can handle DV. VirtualDub even has a DV decoder built in (Options -> Preferences -> AVI -> Prefer internal video decoders...). AviSynth's AviSource() requires a VFW DV decoder but all versions of Windows include a DV decoder since XP SP2. If you don't have it for some reason you can always install the free, open source, Cedocida, or use ffVideoSource("filename.avi", colorspace="YUY2") or LWlibavVideoSource("filename.avi", format="YUY2").

VHS has very low resolution horizontally (about 40 lines across the full frame). But it has a full 480 lines of vertical resolution. Using interlaced YV12 will lose half that vertical resolution. If you don't convert YUY2 to YV12 correctly you will blend the two fields together, ie, use ConvertToYV12(interlaced=true). VirtualDub doesn't handle interlaced YV12 properly (it treats it as progressive YV12, screwing up the chroma), feed it YUY2 or RGB instead.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Some types of color correction are best done in RGB, but most can (and should) be done in YUV.
    huh? I am not aware of a single color correction app that doesn't operate in RGB. I am talking about full flight programs with color wheels though, not avisynth.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Some types of color correction are best done in RGB, but most can (and should) be done in YUV.
    huh? I am not aware of a single color correction app that doesn't operate in RGB. I am talking about full flight programs with color wheels though, not avisynth.
    Sure you do , all the Premiere Pro YUV labelled filters .
    Quote Quote