VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want to wear a wire to grab evidence of my noisy neighbor. My useless landlord refuses to do anything about it and just referred me to the cops who probably won't do shit either so I wanna document every minute and every interaction I have with the dumbass.

Anyone recommend a specific wire? Are they all remote or do some have storage capabilities? The USB audio recorder I grabbed from ebay is a crappy one that records 4-bit WAVs and the timestamp keeps being reset. The timestamp is important.

A sensitive one I could place outside my window or outside his without him noticing would be great, especially one that can wirelessly transmit and which I don't need to recharge every hour.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    A little off-topic, but if you live in California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Washington or Hawaii, you cannot record private conversations without the consent of all parties; your neighbor could sue you if he finds out about it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    doesn't it depend on where the conversation takes place? if it's in a public place there is usually no expectation of privacy. even video recording cops has mostly been given the ok. the easiest way is probably a recording app for your phone.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You should always check your local laws before recording anything. And if the 'noisy' neighbor is mainly playing loud music or loud anything, your recording isn't likely to convince anyone how loud it is.

For audio levels I use something similar to one of these: www.amazon.com/Digital-Sound-Level-Parts-Express/dp/B001THX3M0
    Quote Quote  
  5. Weird law but anyway - i would inform your noisy neighbor that you starting recording - it may trig desired response i.e. less noisy behavior.
    Recording can be easily used to measure noise level if same physical position and sensor is used (as later it can be calibrated). Of course recording data from loudness meter will be very good.

Btw sometimes it is easier to change place than be neighbor educator - i would seriously consider such option.
    Last edited by pandy; 16th Aug 2017 at 15:38.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't live in the United States. Anyway, I asked for advice on getting wired, not legal advice.
    Quote Quote