VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi

I used to use virtualdub to cut portions of videos down. It was great and fast for avi files but more and more i am coming across mp4 videos.

Is there a good program thar easily allows me to select portions of a video and without spending a bunch of time make a smaller file of just the selected portion? Everything i find seems to want to convert the file and takes forever...

Thanks for any help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried AVIDemux ?
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    • VidCutter is not lossless as far as I can tell.
    • MKVToolNix can combine MP4s into an MKV but the resulting file wouldn't play correctly for me in multiple players I tried.
    • AviDemux 2.7 crashed on me when I tried concatenating some files, something about an audio issue.
    • VirtualDubFilterMod doesn't support generic multi selection, only a very specific filename sequence pattern is supported for multiple selection. And you have to open the first file and only then append the rest (probably one by one). Plus you can't output an MP4 file using direct stream copy.
    • MP4Tools MP4Joiner might do the trick but its installer was bundled with some unwanted software and its interface was slow so I didn't even try.

My best experience was with MP4Box. I wanted a GUI so tried my MP4Box GUI but that didn't work for me, so I switched to YAMB. It's a little annoying because you can't drag and drop, but it does support multiple selection which is good enough for me. Make sure to replace its bundled mp4box with the latest version though.
    Last edited by labBat; 15th Dec 2017 at 04:38.
    Quote Quote  
  4. VirtualDub FilterMod is still being developed so you might want to get in touch with the developer, Shekh, and see if he can/will do anything.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's actually a ticket for it here:
    https://sourceforge.net/p/vdfiltermod/tickets/79/

Regarding MP4 concatenation, Shekh said:
    Doesn't work that way. https://sourceforge.net/p/vdfiltermod/wiki/direct_copy/
    For such task better try another program.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Ah. I assume you've tried VideoRedo? I know it's not free but I've never regretted buying it. And, in addition to all that it does, the support from the multiple Dans and the rest of the team on their forum is excellent.

[Just to be clear, as far as I'm aware, I'm not in any way connected to either the company or anyone involved in the making of VideoRedo. I'm just a happy user of the software.]
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the recommendation TimA-C. For now YAMB is good enough for me, but should I need something more advanced I'll keep VideoRedo in mind
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'd use mkvToolnix GUI for this.
    "appending" MP4's is simple
    You cant preview by frame like virtualDub but if you know the timecode or lengths you want to cut it's pretty simple.
    It will kick your MP4's out as MKV but if you dont want that (and why wouldnt you?) you can always
    just downgrade back to mp4 with WinFF - it only takes a few seconds.
    (And you get the other cool tools it offers too)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Have you tried AVIDemux ?

Agreed. I use it for that exact purpose every day, & it works flawlessly. Choose "copy" rather than "convert" for video & audio, & it just cuts & saves; no re-encoding.
    Stiiv
    Quote Quote