VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi, im just curious if anyone knows how to fix a corrupted .MOV file. i have been trying lots of things with no luck. closest i got was using HEX editor and replaced the header with a healthy file that was recorded off the same device as my corrupt one. the reason that got corrupted was the battery power died on me and i couldnt finalize the recording. 3.06 gigs i cant do anything with! i feel their is a way but i dont know how hard that is going to be, if its possible.

ive tried many programs. i loaded it up in mp4repair and that is really the only place i see pictures from the file. so i assume something is repairable. how much,i do not know. id really like to fix this myself but im lost after 3 1/2 days of banging my head and trying everything i could think of.

hope someone can help! cool forum. looks very informative! im new to video to btw. so i really do not know a whole lot but i been working hard at this with not much luck!

cheers!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks! i actually did the search for that and have been reading threads after i posted it! sorry! didnt mean to do that but app a lot of us do :S i did try remo repair. no luck. i tried a lot of things like i said! a lot! i feel like i have to get in their manually to swap the header off a healthy file that was recorded off the same device. but like i said. that didnt work either! i get 9 seconds of static audio and no picture at all. the healthy file is 9 seconds long so its using that information but wont play the data of the corrupted file (swapped in hex edit) thought i was onto something but i was stopped in my tracks after that try. :/

the only group of 0s are at the beginning before the mdat begins..which apparently is ok. i read on my search here something about FFs. i do have a lot of FF files in the blue in hex edit at the end part of the file. all the numbers are their though.

i tried the german video repair program that a lot seem to like. it just errors out on me when i try to use it..but i also tried it with two healthy files and it does the same thing. so im thinking that program might not work on my XP for some reason. the rest are def the file messing up the programs. doesnt look too good but im still hopeful somewhat. something is their. i know that based on the few pictures mp4 repair showed me.

not an easy task! a lot of trying! wow!
    Last edited by bobcat; 14th Aug 2017 at 01:34.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If it were me, I'd first try to view the file in VLC...

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

If that didn't work I'd try to convert it using Handbrake...

https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

Both programs free, and for both Windows and Mac.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the suggestion! after scouring THIS forum i heard of "recover_mp4_.exe''. im not use to command prompt and im not very good at it but it opened the corrupt MOV file with an audio and video file. sooo now i have working files. its not over yet though. i have to get these back together and Mux them i believe the term is? that part is also challenging! i tried Yamb cause its a regular normal program thats easy to use but it doesnt take to the ADPCM audio :/ the other alternative so far that i know if is FFMPEG but i dont know how to get that to work yet. more command prompt annoying stuff. im sure their must be some program other then that i can use to MUX these together without converting anything as i dont want to loose quality in my master file. i might make an AVI of it to watch on my dvd player as thats the only format i can use on it.

for now though i just want to figure out how to get the file back together again as a working MOV. not a fan of MOV but i guess keeping a master file of that is the best quality wise. unless if i made a MP4 of it which isnt much diff ? i dont know for sure if it re encodes it or what. (the format on the camera is MOV btw. thats why i figured i should keep it as such)

then i have seperate audio of this concert i filmed that i want to sync to the video. the cameras audio is crap. i really dont even think i should put it back on. so lots of work to do! but for now i just want to know how to get the file back together. ill worry about the sync job later. i havent even transfered my MD yet anyway. (ya, i still record with mini disc) almost time to end that but i havent yet as i dont tape that much anymore.

any suggestions are welcome! this stuff is hard to do!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Suggestion: post (upload) the corrupt mov file so that others can
    try to repair it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks! i have the file in .h264 and .adpcm now. i just have to get them together but im not sure how. looking into it now. if i could convert that audio to .aac that might be more compatible by the looks of it.

the file is 3.06 gigs though. not really forum friendly and i wouldnt expect anyone to try to fix that unless this is a walk in the park for them.

right now i just need to merge the audio/video back from the raw data. time for bed though. thanks for the help! ill be back in time!
    Quote Quote