VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I need advice for something I want to do with VCR to PC image transfering.
    I have bought a video capture usb (RCA to usb) but there is a problem with the image... It's shaking right and left.
    Like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwtqqhVU0I4

Firstly, let me tell you that when I connect the VCR to the TV the image is fine.
    Also when I connect a DVD player (a device way newer than the VCR) to the PC through the same usb, the image is also fine.
    So, something must be wrong when the analog-to-digital signal converting is happening.
    It's like the TV sees this problematic image and has a way to fix it somehow.
    On the other hand, the usb doesn't have a way to fix it, so I have this shaking image.

So, my questions is...
    What are the possible explanations/causes for this??
    Usb device quality?? VCR quality??
    What system has a TV to fix a VCR shaking image??
    Is there a software or some settings for PC that do the same fix a TV does??

Thank you.

(if you don't know how to help me, can you please give me a link with people who know more about these devices?? Some digital engineers maybe??)
    Last edited by alexinho25; 12th Aug 2017 at 17:24.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do a forum search for TBC or Time base Corrector. All will be clear to you then.

If you have a dvd recorder (not a player) you can daisy-chain that between the VCR and the capture device and that should solve your problem.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks, I have read about the TBC, but I wasn't sure this was the case, because the usb works fine with the dvd player.

About the dvd recorder, yeah, I know. If I had one, I wouldn't buy this cheap usb. :P
    Quote Quote  
  4. DVD players are digital devices with perfect sync. VHS decks are analog and have poor sync.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The sample is from MediaSet5 in Italy? Italy in PAL too right?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    The sample is from MediaSet5 in Italy? Italy in PAL too right?
    Yes, "Canale 5" - Mediaset.
    And yes, I think in Italy they have PAL.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by alexinho25 View Post
    Where are you?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by alexinho25 View Post
    Where are you?
    I'm in italy right now for vacation, staying at relatives' house. All devices I mentioned were bought here in Italy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I assume you used PAL when setting up the USB device?
    Many people make the mistake of skipping the "tuner setup" thinking that they won't be using it as a "tuner", just line-in capture. Go through the (software) setup and make sure it is set to PAL. That is exactly how I switch mine between PAL and PAL60(NTSC tape in a PAL VCR).

You also may want to mention the make and model of the capture device.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yeah, I tried every option in the settings. Nothing seems to work.
    In another forum someone said the cause is the low quality of both VCR (an old sony) and usb device (easyCap).
    Yeah, I know it's a fake one, but as I said before, I thought that if dvd player works, then maybe I can find a way to make it work with the VCR.
    I guess I was too optimistic.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well you have been told how you get it to work with your VCR.

And straight to dvd-recorder is only a quick fix since you would probably be disappointed with the results then. And not so easy to edit without losing quality.

If your 'fake' easycap was so bad you would not even be able to get the picture you receive.
    Quote Quote