VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker or buy a VSO converter software :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I know the theoretical background about HDR and color depth. I can also play some clips with the integrated player of my TV.

But how do I play HDR content with a software media player or media center?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HDR on a PC requires a combination of hardware and software. I'm not sure how well Dolby Vision is supported on PCs. There is some support for HDR10. You need:

1. HDR-capable TV or monitor.

2. Windows 10 w/Creators Update.

3. A video card with HDMI 2.0a or HDMI 2.0b and HDR10 support. ...or a motherboard with HDMI 2.0a/2.0b and HDR10 support. NVidia 10xx series video cards have HDMI 2.0b and HDR10 support. So do AMD Radeon RX 400-series video cards. A few Intel Z270 motherboards can provide HDMI 2.0a/2.0b and support HDR10. No AMD motherboards provide HDMI 2.0a/HDMI 2.0b at this time.

4. A video player with HDR 10 support. Potplayer and Power DVD 17 Ultra are supposed to support HDR. I think there is possibly a way to support HDR10 using Kodi plus MPC-HC and MadVR. I'm not sure of the details.

[Edit]I found this after I posted: https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/i-finally-figured-out-hdr-in-mpc-and-gpu-acceleration.72526/
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 12th Aug 2017 at 12:41.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you
    Quote Quote