VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi all,

One of clients in UK has 50+ small sites and wants to show signage TV with his own Adverts and a TV linked to an aerial which we can do very easily.

Now I have looked into showing TV and each site will need:
    TV License £147 a year
    PRS from £160.40 a year (for music)
    PPL approx £130.51 a year (for music)
    MPCL £142.50 (this is new for any film clips, we have been told and even if we show news it is needed for any clips relating to films!)

So nearly £600 a year just to show several customers a bit of BBC news which does not offer great value.

So we are looking at cheaper alternatives and want to know if anybody can help:
    - Is there any royalty free TV channels we can stream? uk/world news etc
    - if we stream music videos from youtube inbetween adverts would we need just PRS & PPL licence?

Any help appreciated, if anybody has any contacts they can pass on to discuss it would be appreciated?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well 'Royal Free TV' does not come in to the argument. It is my understanding that if you broadcast/watch tv, even if you never watch any BBC content, you require a tv licence.

Not so sure about the yt bit but 'tv' could be argued as a 'catch all' and a licence would then still be required. Rationale - in the old days the aerial was the give-away. The people who check these things could see the aerial so you had a means to see tv hence needing an licence. Now you could just stream tv and the BBC also insist on a licence for that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mrsail View Post
    50+ small sites [reception area for small public waiting rooms]
    PRS from £160.40 a year (for music)
    PPL approx £130.51 a year (for music)
    I’m quite pleased when the reception area/waiting room where I have to be, has no audio. Please mute, and save on two fees in the process. Being forced to listen to something is a terrible idea. One can look the other way (or at one’s smartphone), but not turn ones ears off.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, no sound please. Most of the reception rooms here in the U.S. just use a muted video of various subjects like under ocean, or landscapes.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote