VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello you all,
    I know that sound weird or stupid to ask this but I just want to know if there isn't any softwares or trick
    that allow you to know where your usb flash drive was plugged or if files from it were copied on another computer.
    And if I can saw details like date (etc).

Thanks for reading.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The trick is to not let anybody else get their hands on it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    If the file system is NTFS and if the computer the drive was plugged into has the last-access timestamp enabled, then you can do dir /ta from a command prompt. However, update of this timestamp has been disabled by default since Windows 7.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    If the file system is NTFS and if the computer the drive was plugged into has the last-access timestamp enabled, then you can do dir /ta from a command prompt. However, update of this timestamp has been disabled by default since Windows 7.
    so sorry for my late. Wow I'm not sure that I understand all this
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Nelson37 View Post
    The trick is to not let anybody else get their hands on it.
    A better trick is to encrypt everything on it so it doesn't matter who gets their hands on it.
    http://www.lacie.com/gb/en/products/software/private-public/
    Quote Quote  
  6. Sure, that works, as long as no one else knows the password, you have not given it to anyone else, you do not put it on a post-it note on the monitor, and you choose a password that cannot be easily guessed by a software program which can try over 50,000 combinations in a few hours, and also assuming you are willing to enter a difficult to memorize password every single time you use the stick.

If you are in a room with competitive salesman pushing high-dollar products, the password will be cracked, by one of several different methods.

Or, you could just put the damn thing in your pocket and solve the problem permanently and with excellent security.
    Quote Quote