VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want to record some video clips from my pc to vhs. I was wondering if it is only possible if I have a s-video on my gpu? Can it be done if I use an adapter like vga to s-video?
    I don't have s-video on my computer but I found a cheap gpu that have. I don't have s-video on my vcr either, but I have scart, can I then just use a s-video to scart adapter or something for my vcr and connect it to a s-video on a gpu?

Anyone know of some other ways that are not expensive to connect a vcr to the computer for recordring from the computer to vhs? I know I can use a dv camera and use the firewire, but mine is broken and I have only a hd camera now without a firewire.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Emilie1990 View Post
    Can it be done if I use an adapter like vga to s-video?
    Yes, but the inexpensive ones (~US$20) deliver poor quality.

Originally Posted by Emilie1990 View Post
    I don't have s-video on my computer but I found a cheap gpu that have. I don't have s-video on my vcr either, but I have scart, can I then just use a s-video to scart adapter or something for my vcr and connect it to a s-video on a gpu?
    You should be able to do that.

Keep in mind that PAL VHS has a resolution around 320x576. So you won't be able to read normal Desktop text.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On the few times I did it, I converted my files to DVD, burned the DVD and played it on a standalone player connected to the VHS.
    Pretty simple to record that way
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    On the few times I did it, I converted my files to DVD, burned the DVD and played it on a standalone player connected to the VHS.
    Pretty simple to record that way
    Same here, helps to use DVD_RW if you do it a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I've done it to to make test pattern tapes. But in this day and age VHS sucks as a storage medium.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post

Keep in mind that PAL VHS has a resolution around 320x576. So you won't be able to read normal Desktop text.
    Thanks for answering. But is it just plug and play or do I need software for recording from my pc?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post

Thanks for answering. But is it just plug and play or do I need software for recording from my pc?
    Assuming you plan to use an S-Video to SCART adapter...

You don't need special software on the PC for recording its output with a VCR. You probably do need to configure the card to output video from its S-Video connection using the card's driver interface GUI.

Mostly you need the right hardware. As I recall from other discussions here, if someone wants to use S-Video input with an inexpensive S-Video to SCART adapter, the device on the SCART end of the adapter has to be able to accept S-Video input via SCART. Unless the SCART port on the VCR is labeled "S-Video", it is more likely that a VCR only accepts CVBS video delivered via SCART.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 7th Aug 2017 at 13:56. Reason: typo
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote