VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello from the newbie-est of Nuubs.
    I have an instrument that uses the Planar EL560.400 Monochrome Flat panel display.
    Besides power, this panel is VGA format, needing Vid data, Vid clock, Horiz. Sync and Vertical sync.
    The panel went "blooey" and used replacements (long out of production) cost more than the
    instrument is worth.

The panel is VGA with an odd-ball 560x400 resolution that cannot be changed.
    I built a patch cord and ran the VGA signal to a common HP PC VGA monitor, using the
    GREEN input to take the "Vid Data" and leaving the Red and Blue unterminated.
    I get good video and good Horizontal sync, but no Vertical sync. None of the monitors
    I've tried can "stretch" enough to lock at the odd resolution.

Is there a device (less expensive than the replacment panel) that can convert
    this 560x400 video into something like 640x480, so a common monitor can work?
    Or are there old monitors out there that might display this?
    Thanks!
    David S.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I can imagine display with significantly higher resolution to reduce rescaling errors.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Old 400 line resolutions were often interlaced (ie, NTSC compatible). Most modern computer monitors won't sync to that. An old Amiga or CGA monitor should.
    Quote Quote  
  4. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Or maybe an old multisync (multiscanning) monitor, if you can find one.

Edit: not to be confused with multifrequency monitors.
    Last edited by Keyser; 6th Aug 2017 at 11:09.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, all. I will look for those.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Oops, I forgot: CGA monitors were digital, not analog. So that won't work.

This type of passive VGA to composite adapter might work:

http://sandacite.com/forum/index.php?topic=2431.0

The output will be composite video ready for a TV.

Thinking about this a bit more, are you sure the output of the device is analog VGA? It could be digital CGA. Check the voltages with a oscilloscope. VGA will be analog ranging from 0 to 0.7 volts on the RGB pins, 0 and 5 volts on the sync pins. CGA will be digital, 0 and 5 volts. CGA also has an intensity bit. Also, what are the vertical and horizontal refresh frequencies?
    Last edited by jagabo; 8th Aug 2017 at 08:08.
    Quote Quote