VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using windows 7 32 bit

Xmedia Recode video converter version 3217 (This is old, but has the most delux features.)

I want / need instructions Tutorials: How to use FADE IN / FADE OUT feature.

All my attempts to operate it, results in a total black screen. No youtubes etc, to point the way.

If anyone has experience of using and working this feature using Xmedia Recode (3217), please come to my rescue(?)

All I want to do is to fade in a video by about 1/4 of a second. Mp4 video.

Regards.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Having experience with the VirtualDub Fade filter, I was able to figure out the XMedia version. It's a little weird:
    1. The filter can fade in, or fade out, but not both.
    2. To both fade in and fade out, you need to add the filter twice.
    3. Fade-in start is relative to the start point of the video after any trimming in the main timeline
    4. Fade-out start is relative to the video time before any trimming.
    5. All frames before Fade-in start, or after Fade-out start+duration are set to the "fade color."
    6. Audio fading is not supported.
    7. EDIT I forgot to mention, PREVIEW DOES NOT WORK (for me)

So to fade in at the start, use start time = 0;
    to fade out at the end, use start time = (timeline mark out) - (fade duration)

[Attachment 42755 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by raffriff42; 5th Aug 2017 at 20:43.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    AviSynth filters support more features, but that won't help you much in XMR.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you to ALL who replied.

The illustration shows a point but I must say, I am still very perplexed!

The goodish news is, I tried Fade In on a 2 minute video, setting the Start time to 00:00:00:000
    and the Fade Duration to 00:00:01:000

It worked but the fade in lasted a good 3 seconds. Not 1 second! Why should this be?

Other attempts result in a total screen blackout! This is especially so if I use the "Bracket On / Bracket Off", as I call them to effect a start and end point, between which the convertion footage will be made.

Looking again at your illustration, Raffriff, the time line clearly shows 00:02:46:230 so, shouldn't the Fade In Start also show these same figures, instead of the "0's", you illustrate? Or, were you trying to say, 'type in 00:02;46:230 at this setting' using a pointing green arrow line to illustrate this?

As I see it, one puts the Bracket On; this produces a Start Time; type the Start Time figures into the Fade Start box. Next type in a Fade Duration. I only want 1/4 of a second. Not sure what this is in "ms". I think it is 125 + whatever the other ms reading is.

This ought to work for fade in, but as I say, I usually end up with a black screen!

Fade Out is even trickier. Your illustration shows 00:02:57:230 This must be typed into the Fade Out Start, should it not? You show it with 1 second less, (00:02:56:230). Fine for whole second; so should I subtract ms from the ms box to get the desired result?

Has anyone had any success using Xmedia Recode when it comes to producing slight fade ins and fade outs of only a brief 1/4 or 1/2 second?

I am hoping others will join this discussion. Let us know your experience and maybe we can all reach a satisfying conclusion.
    I am finding I sometimes get a result albeit a clumsy one and not the timing I was hoping for and other times I just get a black screen!
    Quote Quote  
  5. AviSynth filters support more features, but that won't help you much in XMR.

XMR accepts an avisynth scrip as input.
    Quote Quote  
  6. >It worked but the fade in lasted a good 3 seconds. Not 1 second! Why should this be?
    Don't know. One second seems to be the minimum duration.

>the time line clearly shows 00:02:46:230 so, shouldn't the Fade In Start also show these same figures, instead of the "0's", you illustrate?
    No. Like I said: it's weird.

>Next type in a Fade Duration. I only want 1/4 of a second. Not sure what this is in "ms".
    That should be 00:00:00:250, but it doesn't seem to work

>Fade Out is even trickier.... so should I subtract ms from the ms box to get the desired result?
    Subtract Fade Duration from Edit Out (or for added black "tail", subtract somewhat more)

>I am finding I sometimes get a result albeit a clumsy one and not the timing I was hoping for and other times I just get a black screen!
    Yeah me too I agree with the other guys - use AviSynth for this job.

I am testing with version 3.3.5.4 and 3.3.5.8
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you again to ALL who wrote and took time to experiment.

I have digested your words and having made some experiments of my own, I am pleased and satisfied with the results.

Gentlemen, I do not know how you managed to work it all out. There can't be many who would have been able to guess how to use it, but you have and I m more than grateful to you for your assistance.

All the very best to you.
    Quote Quote