VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Thread
  1. Hope someone can help, all I want is a simple software that will enable me to copy files which are too large for one backup drive and can span multiple external usb drives. Thanks for suggestions.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  2. Explorer Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Search Comp PM
    You have video files over 500 GB per file, and you’re not using RAID?
    Quote Quote  
  3. hjsplit
    http://www.hjsplit.org/

    or some archival software eg. 7zip, winrar can split into segments with or without compression or recovery options

    If they are "videos" , some video players (e.g. mpchc, potplayer) can play videos in archived formats like .rar, without having to reassemble or unarchive
    Quote Quote  
  4. Regarding raid I keep being told its not a backup, I split the files currently and do backup but it would be nice to have an automation
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    hjsplit
    http://www.hjsplit.org/

    or some archival software eg. 7zip, winrar can split into segments with or without compression or recovery options

    If they are "videos" , some video players (e.g. mpchc, potplayer) can play videos in archived formats like .rar, without having to reassemble or unarchive
    Thanks mate but I just want to copy span, appreciate the info though, the ultimate solution is another NAS when the budget allows
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    I thought Teracopy might be able to do this (AFAIK it can't) and a quick Google search brought up this link: https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/6hbq4t/incremental_backup/ The OP states a program called Personal Backup by Rathlev solved the issue. Unfortunately, specifics on how the program solved the issue isn't listed in the post, but since the post is only a month old, you can probably ask for more details.

    Edit: Re-reading your question, this might not be what you're looking for. It's not fully automatic, it will stop and prompt for a new disk once the previous one is full. Since the OP in the thread seems to have been looking to do exactly what you're asking, might be worthwhile to post on the Reddit forum.
    Last edited by lingyi; 5th Aug 2017 at 06:03.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Search PM
    At the pro level we are now using LTO data cartridges for backup of multi-terabyte media files.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    I thought Teracopy might be able to do this (AFAIK it can't) and a quick Google search brought up this link: https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/6hbq4t/incremental_backup/ The OP states a program called Personal Backup by Rathlev solved the issue. Unfortunately, specifics on how the program solved the issue isn't listed in the post, but since the post is only a month old, you can probably ask for more details.

    Edit: Re-reading your question, this might not be what you're looking for. It's not fully automatic, it will stop and prompt for a new disk once the previous one is full. Since the OP in the thread seems to have been looking to do exactly what you're asking, might be worthwhile to post on the Reddit forum.
    Thank you, having to reinstall win 10 so delayed in trying what you suggested, waiting for a disk to be replaced is not a major issue, I can why that would be as otherwise the software would have to presume where to use next, dangerous.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    At the pro level we are now using LTO data cartridges for backup of multi-terabyte media files.
    Currently I have 44Tb ability, I collect films and TV shows, documentaries everything, what would lto cost for say 80TB?
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  10. [quote=victoriabears;2493247]
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    i thought teracopy might be able to do this (afaik it can't) and a quick google search brought up this link: https://www.reddit.com/r/datahoarder/comments/6hbq4t/incremental_backup/ the op states a program called personal backup by rathlev solved the issue. Unfortunately, specifics on how the program solved the issue isn't listed in the post, but since the post is only a month old, you can probably ask for more details.

    Edit: Re-reading your question, this might not be what you're looking for. It's not fully automatic, it will stop and prompt for a new disk once the previous one is full. Since the op in the thread seems to have been looking to do exactly what you're asking, might be worthwhile to post on the reddit forum.
    thank you, having to reinstall win 10 so delayed in trying what you suggested, waiting for a disk to be replaced is not a major issue, i can why that would be as otherwise the software would have to presume where to use next, dangerous.[/quote

    trying it now and yes it lets you choose the source from a different computer , necessary as it is a NAS WD My Cloud I am wanting to back up and a distination on a PC external hard rive, not ideal I know but I eventually get a another NAS where its JBOD as a backup I will need to do this .
    Last edited by victoriabears; 6th Aug 2017 at 23:06.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Actually if I got a 50Tb Cloud?, my ISP now has unlimited data, wonder what they would say if I used 200Tb though ! Ah.......................the Upload sped means the most I could send to a cloud is 4TB per month, good for "permanent back though, but not workable for continuing.
    Last edited by victoriabears; 7th Aug 2017 at 00:04.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  12. Spanning a single large file across multiple, EXTERNAL USB drives, is something I would classify as insanely stupid.

    If this is a collection of many files, then you are not spanning data files, you are spreading out a backup job across multiple devices. This is not "spanning".

    I dislike tape drives but these may be your best option.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Nelson37 View Post
    Spanning a single large file across multiple, EXTERNAL USB drives, is something I would classify as insanely stupid.

    If this is a collection of many files, then you are not spanning data files, you are spreading out a backup job across multiple devices. This is not "spanning".

    I dislike tape drives but these may be your best option.
    "you are spreading out a backup job across multiple devices" , yes I am -whats that called , ? I cannot imagine one file being 2Tb in a domestic world.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  14. It's called having a really big backup job.

    Spanning is a term that has a very specific meaning.

    The size of your backup job is unusual for the domestic world.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads