VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    NOTICE !!

MacYTDL has been moved to Github. Future updates will not be posted on this thread.

Please post all questions, suggestions and bug reports to: https://github.com/section83/MacYTDL

MacYTDL

This is a macOS GUI front end for youtube-dl the cross-platform video downloader. It runs on any Apple Mac with OS X 10.10 or later.

It has been developed in AppleScript. The code is not protected and can be opened in Script Editor. It is code signed and should pass Gatekeeper.

Features

• Download individual videos and playlists.
    • Can download many videos at one time – tested up to 5 concurrent downloads.
    • Works with YouTube, ITV, many video sites and Australian broadcasters: ABC iView, SBS On Demand, 7Plus, TenPlay, 9Now.
    • Can cancel individual downloads.
    • Options for download file format; remuxing; download a text description of the video; downloading and embedding subtitles, thumbnail images and metadata; downloading or extracting audio-only files.
    • Downloads chosen episodes from ABC iView show pages.
    • Batch downloads.
    • Multiple shows can be downloaded separately (in parallel) or in one process (sequentially).
    • Optional macOS Service for use in web browsers which copies the current URL, switches to MacYTDL and sets name of the video file to be downloaded.
    • All components downloaded and installed by MacYTDL, which can be controlled by the user. Component updates available in the app.
    • A separate log file is retained for each download enabling problem solving if a download fails.
    • Has a built-in uninstaller which moves all components to Trash.

Instructions

• Download and open the DMG file.
    • Read the Help file.
    • Click and drag MacYTDL to any location - it's best to use the Applications folder.
    • Run MacYTDL.
    • Click on "Yes" to install various components and create a preferences folder when asked.
    • Wait.
    • When main UI is displayed copy a video URL in your web browser, paste into the dialog and click on "Download".

Version 1.10

• Simplified and renamed dialogs.
    • New "Show settings before downloading" function.
    • Bug fixes:ABC iView shows dialog improved; iView "Extras" available for download, embedding subtitles should work, enabled "Keep original file" function to apply to subtitles file.

Version 1.10.1

• FFmpeg install now downloads Zip format file instead of dmg.
    • MacYTDL dmg file is formatted MacOS Extended instead of APFS.
    • Better coding practice might increase speed slightly.
    • Should be no errors on first run.

For detail on prior versions see "MacYTDL version history" in the MacYTDL download.

Downloads

Version 1.10.1: ==> https://app.box.com/s/1aaih7rdnw8q9tef0p00i8zyh4c6prry

Please post any suggestions, comments or better code to this thread, or send a private message to MacYTDL.

Enjoy !

ฉ Vincentius, 15 August 2019
    Image Attached Thumbnails Help-small.pdf  

Last edited by MacYTDL; 22nd Aug 2019 at 22:03. Reason: Update to version 1.10.1 - Fixed install bugs
    Quote Quote  
  2. Great app that I had success with, with iView and Youtube. Unfortunately it didn't work for SBS on Demand. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry you're having problems. It should work with SBS. Which show are you trying to get ? I've just downloaded a movie [Michael Clayton] with no trouble.

Check that you are using youtube-dl dated 24/9/17. Your MacYTDL dialog should have "youtube-dl version: 2017.09.24".

I am working on a new version. It traps errors, tries to fix filenames and has a nicer UI. Hope to be ready for release next week.
    Quote Quote  
  4. No need to be sorry at all mate. Appreciate the response.

Yep, using v. 2017.09.24. Tried to download the latest South Park episode: https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/1044232771617

New release! Awesome!

I just tried Michael Clayton but nothing. Am I grabbing the wrong URLs possibly?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've sent a PM via Whirlpool. But, in case you're still there, I've just tried the link to that South Park episode - works for me. Does anything download at all ? If you have something like LittleSnitch you can see whether something is downloading (+ speed and location etc).

Which URL did you use for Michael Clayton ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It'd be great to have the option which
    • downloads the video as mp4 (--recode-video mp4)
    • adds the subtitles into the video (--embed-subs)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    upekshapriya,

I think I can do both. I'll just need to add those options to the GUI and the youtube-dl command my applet issues. Can't say when it will be ready - perhaps not until April. But, I will update this topic when it's ready.

I'm also looking at some other options:
    • Check for MacYTDL updates.
    • Add shortcut to Dock.
    • Option to add ad-hoc ytdl arguments or use the ytdl config file.
    • Function to delete old 'response' files.
    • Tracking download progress [which is hard in AppleScript].
    • Lots of other ideas.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Since this seems to be a Mac subject, probably better posted in our Mac Forum. Moving you.

And welcome to our forums.

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    I have just installed your app and it seems great. I am downloading a long file but notice that it isn't getting any bigger at the desktop destination. Is it being cached elsewhere before being assembled in this final location? It just seems like nothing is happening. Also where are the log files saved, perhaps I could check there?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 3pointedit View Post
    I am downloading a long file but notice that it isn't getting any bigger at the desktop destination. Is it being cached elsewhere before being assembled in this final location? It just seems like nothing is happening. Also where are the log files saved, perhaps I could check there?
    That's Apple's Finder. Often, Finder takes a long time to show the full size of a download file. The log of what happened is stored in what I call the "response file". There is a separate response file for each download. All response files are stored in:
    [your Mac]/Users/[Your Home]/Library/Preferences/MacYTDL/
    Response files have names like this: "youtube-dl_response-World_War_II_Myths_Misconceptions_and_Surprises.tx t".

You can see the download progress before it finishes - click once on the response file and press the space bar. Downloads are at the speed of your internet connection or less if the source location is slow.

Response files store details echoed back by youtube-dl as it runs. The amount of detail can be increased by choosing the "verbose" option.

I'm hoping one day to have a true download progress meter.

Cheers.
    Last edited by MacYTDL; 17th Mar 2018 at 22:17.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I just installed MacYTDL v. 1.6 on my Mac, and the installation seemed to go well, but when I try to run it, I get the following error message: "sh: /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl: Permission denied". I can choose between "OK" - which simply makes the error message disappear - and "Change" - which opens the Script Editor with the MacYTDL script in it... Since I do not know anything about scripts/the Script Editor, I do not know how to proceed, or what is the problem. Can anyone help please ? Thanks in advance !
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    janvdvelde,

The GPU on my iMac has died and so, it's difficult for me to do much at present. It does seem that something went wrong with the MacYTDL installation process on your Mac. All I can suggest right now is:
    • Have a look in that folder: press command-shift-g then type usr/local/bin
    • Does that folder exist ? Is there anything inside ? You should see youtube-dl, ffmpeg and ffprobe (at least).
    • It looks like youtube-dl is in there. So, select it and press command-i (to get info on it). The details should look like the attached picture. It should be 1,702,856 bytes. If it is something else, delete it and restart MacYTDL.
    • If youtube-dl is not in that folder, start MacYTDL again. It should recognise that youtube-dl is missing and ask you if you wish it installed. Just answer affirmative and then wait. It can take time and look like nothing is happening. Note, that it can't install if you don't give an administrator and password when asked.
    • If none of this works could you please tell it to open Script Editor when asked. It should open at the line of code that failed. Take a screen capture of that and upload here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Info on ytdl.png
Views:	578
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	47012

I'm sorry about all this. MacYTDL does work – I just need to figure out what went astray with installation for you.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In the folder /usr/local/bin I found only youtube-dl, not ffmpeg or ffprobe. However, it was not the correct filesize, so I deleted it and restarted MacYTDL. It detected indeed that youtube-dl was not there anymore and asked if I wanted to reinstall it, to which I answered positive. I also let ffmpeg and ffprobe install, but then I got the message: "Trying to install FFmpeg but you are not connected to the internet. You can run MacYTDL and change settings but downloads will not work until you are online and FFmpeg is installed.". However, I checked, and I am definitely connected to the Internet...
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by janvdvelde View Post
    I also let ffmpeg and ffprobe install, but then I got the message: "Trying to install FFmpeg but you are not connected to the internet. You can run MacYTDL and change settings but downloads will not work until you are online and FFmpeg is installed.". However, I checked, and I am definitely connected to the Internet...
    This might be related to an issue with the server which hosts FFmpeg. I've had trouble downloading from it before.

Try closing MacYTDL then starting again. You should get that message again saying FFmpeg is not installed - say yes. Hopefully, it will go ahead and download and install FFmpeg and FFprobe. Don't try to interrupt it - MacYTDL doesn't say it's doing anything at this point until it has finished (that's my lack of programming skill combined with AppleScript]. You should see FFmpeg.dmg appear on your desktop; it will mount, install then eject and delete the dmg file. Same for FFprobe. Just wait until MacYTDL pops a message saying they are installed.

If it still can't get FFmpeg, and you really want this to work (!), go to this web page: https://evermeet.cx/pub/ffmpeg/. Download "ffmpeg-4.0.2.dmg"; open it; drag the "ffmpeg" file to usr/local/bin. Do the same with FFprobe from https://evermeet.cx/pub/ffprobe/.

Cheers.

Garry
    Quote Quote  
  15. Still using OSX 10.9.5. (Mavericks) I found out that I need MacYTDL 1.0, but the link in the first posting doesn't work.
    Can the author re-upload/fix the link please?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Still using OSX 10.9.5. (Mavericks) I found out that I need MacYTDL 1.0, but the link in the first posting doesn't work.
    Can the author re-upload/fix the link please?
    None of the old versions will work properly now because of a change to the distribution of FFmpeg. I will PM you to discuss further.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Hi, I was trying to download a premiere video. When the premiere runs it was working normally, means the downloaded file size kept on increasing, but when the premiere video was done it became a private video automatically. What happened was the video was downloaded but the file still in .part format. Is it possible to play downloaded file only? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by EuronymousDeadOhlin View Post
    Hi, I was trying to download a premiere video. When the premiere runs it was working normally, means the downloaded file size kept on increasing, but when the premiere video was done it became a private video automatically. What happened was the video was downloaded but the file still in .part format. Is it possible to play downloaded file only? Thanks
    Hello,

I don't know what "premier" or "private" videos are. Can you email me the URL for the video download ? Please send your msg to macytdl@gmail.com.

Normally, if there are ".part" files in your downloads folder the download has not finished. Can you wait longer for it to finish ? Sometimes, it takes a while for audio and video components to be downloaded and merged.

MacYTDL is now hosted on GitHub. You can download the latest version (v1.13.1) and provide feedback/bug reports there. The address is: www.github.com/section83/macytdl.

Cheers.
    Last edited by MacYTDL; 15th Mar 2020 at 21:58. Reason: Removed unnecessary autolink
    Quote Quote