VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    . . . but NF tech support suggests this may apply equally to other devices with NF apps, of around the same vintage.
    (I still use the WD Live 2nd. gen. model, as do some others I've been hearing from lately.)

Specifically, your streaming queue is no longer displayed. Have you noticed this ? The new status has existed for at least several weeks. Your queue may have had 50 or 100+ titles in it, but now it is seemingly gone. However, when you check your account online, from a computer, you will see that those titles are still active. It's just that some older NF interfaces won't let you interact with them. Some of what they are doing is now no longer compatible. I've now verified this behavior with 5 WD player samples: however, each of these had had it's firmware rolled back a few levels to dispense with some troublesome glitches, after which they returned to stability. (The only thing of possible consequence that was given up in this rollback process was the Miracast feature.) I checked the NF gateway in the VieraCast of my 2010 model Panasonic tv, and it has not yet been affected by this. So, there are various NF interfaces out there; some will be affected, and perhaps some not. I'm not sure if there are any other NF issues on the older WD Live units that I have not identified yet.

[EDIT: a clumsy workaround is to use their Search feature -- which still works -- to pull up items you knew to be present in your queue.]

I suppose the easy solution will be to go with a latter day Roku or somesuch, for the NF streaming. It's just a question of how many boxes you want to be juggling all the time.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are varying differences with all of the older versions of the Netflix app. The most noticeable that I've seen, is the older app in my oldest Roku doesn't handle users.

In any case, you could setup a media server or a NAS to store all of your files and run plex. You can then put a new Roku at each TV. You then have the newest Netflix app and use the Plex app to access your files (or Kodi or many other options).
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter View Post
    There are varying differences with all of the older versions of the Netflix app. The most noticeable that I've seen, is the older app in my oldest Roku doesn't handle users.

In any case, you could setup a media server or a NAS to store all of your files and run plex. You can then put a new Roku at each TV. You then have the newest Netflix app and use the Plex app to access your files (or Kodi or many other options).
    That's certainly an option. Noting that it does not handle H. 265 or a certain flavor of AVC, for local playback via a standalone device this older WD had been the reigning champ of "most file formats played." Haven't really tested for it, but I wonder how that stacks up today, vs. the others ?
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote