VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

Hoping you can help me with the following...

I'm working on a project where I'm attempting to replace faces in videos with another face. I'm having some limited success doing this in Quicktime and OpenShot, but am hoping to find software more efficient and powerful for this purpose.

As example, it would be great if I could identify points on the original face (say, ears and chin) and then match those points up to the same features on the replacement face. Then the replacement face track would follow the original face as it moved in the video. I hope that makes sense.

Questions are:

1) Do you know of Mac software that can do some version of what I've described above?

2) If not, do you have any suggestions of how I might further research this?

Many thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. after effects, face tracker (designed to track face features), or point tracker (you specify specific points to track)
    https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/facetracking.html
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrW_V9gkgnI

That's really 2d (flat) replacement - depending on the camera movement , shot characteristics, quality of the textures - it might look very fake (maybe that's ok for the type of look you're going for)

For more realistic replacement, you need more advanced techniques like 3d camera projection mapping where you project textures onto geometry of the face in 3d software and compositing tools like nuke
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much for your helpful response, appreciated.

I took a look at some videos on YouTube and After Effects does appear to be the next level of power in face swapping. I'll definitely be investigating that further. Thanks for the lead.

I think what I really want is an app dedicated to face swapping. As example, are you aware of CrazyTalk? It's a very nice app (mac and windows) dedicated specifically to making face images talk. Something like that, except for face swapping instead of talking, would be ideal.

As far as I know, there is no such software on the Mac side, so I think I'm going to open my mind to installing Windows so I can explore Windows video editing apps as well.

If you should have any further suggestions, please share. I'd be particularly interested if you've used AE for face swapping.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just found this, perhaps it will be helpful to someone...

https://filmora.wondershare.com/video-editing-tips/change-face.html

Mac app, $50, free demo. Testing now...

Oh dear, Filmora is totally cheeseball and entirely useless for face swapping. This app appears to have other fine uses, but face swapping is not one of them. On to the next adventure...
    Last edited by Tanny; 3rd Aug 2017 at 09:59.
    Quote Quote