VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I purchased a lifetime subscription of DVDFab products some time ago. Back when I was younger and more naive.
    I don't want to start a flame war, just looking for some impartial opinions and direction.

There seems to be a lot of negativity going around about DVDFab's encode quality.

Indeed, they waste 4% of every blu-ray. Now I don't know if that's because they can't figure out what bit rate would give optimal disk usage, or they have the VSO mentality of "filling disks is a bad thing". There are a few other niggling things with DVDFab and the UI (IMHO), is terrible.

My typical use scenario is -
    • Backup 3D Blu-rays to ISO - Full Disk.
    • If I'm going to store on my server I will do blu-ray RIP with audio and video copy to try to maintain original quality.
    • When I run short of space on the server I often burn back the MKV file to BD25.
    • Sometimes after purchasing my original disk I will immediately burn to BD25
    • All originals are then stored offsite for safe keeping. To keep originals in mint condition they are never played.

So given that sort of usage scenario, if DVDFab is producing poor quality encodes, what software would give me the best quality?

**Yes, I know disk is cheap. I've already got 9 x 6TB drives. Mobo can't handle more, and I can''t justify the cost of upgrading drives to 8TB.
    10940x with Creator X299 Motherboard, 32GB DRR4-3733, RTX 3080 Ti GPU
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    DVDFab is only good with copying movies. Technically it doesn't really "encode" it will transcode which is even worse.

MeGUI is the best for encoding.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use MakeMKV for the main movie only to my NAS. A few special features from time to time....
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    I use MakeMKV for the main movie only to my NAS. A few special features from time to time....
    DVDFab also does main movie and probably does a better job
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I never use Fab for anything except decryption. Once decrypted, I've always used BD Rebuilder for compression to 25 gb disc size. I've been pleased with the results. For making MKV's I've used Vidcoder. The only thing I use MeGUI for is making Blu-ray compliant video from non-compliant sources. Otherwise its a pain in the ass to use.

@hardy
    I'm not quite sure how DVDFab would do better at ripping the main movie than MakeMKV, since MakeMKV doesn't re-encode anything. Perhaps you mean its better at selecting the correct mpls file on discs that have more advanced protection?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    @hardy
    I'm not quite sure how DVDFab would do better at ripping the main movie than MakeMKV, since MakeMKV doesn't re-encode anything. Perhaps you mean its better at selecting the correct mpls file on discs that have more advanced protection?
    DVDFab doesn't re-encode either.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hardy View Post
    @hardy
    DVDFab doesn't re-encode either.
    True. You said DVDFab "doesn't really "encode" it will transcode which is even worse."

Seeing as Yanta doesn't like DVDFab for shrinking either, she needs another program, BD Rebuilder, to do that job.

I have used MakeMKV and think it is a decent choice. It won't meet everyone's needs since MakeMKV can only copy the Blu-ray disc's main movie's audio and video to an MKV container or make a full-disc backup of the original disc as files and folders. ...and some have said that MakeMKV may not match the paid versions of DVDFab with respect to decryption of newer movies. Since it is necessary to use ImgBurn on the output from MakeMKV's Backup option, MakeMKV clearly doesn't meet Yanta's need for direct ISO output.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    If he's only choosing the main movie option as a straight copy then there is NO encoding or transcoding.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If he's only choosing the main movie option as a straight copy then there is NO encoding or transcoding.
    "She" is doing exactly that for movies I save to my server. Direct Audio and Video Copy. So theoretically, I should be getting original quality? Yes? No?

@usually_quiet: I must admit I'm not familiar with BD Rebuilder. I've been tempted to try it, but I fear it will conflict with AVStoDVD which I occasionally as they use different versions of the same tools. I think perhaps it's time I bit the bullet and installed BD Rebuilder on my test PC and got to know it a little better. It seems like quite a good program.

Am I correct in my understanding that I would be using DVDFab for the decryption of my original disks to Blu-ray structure or ISO (full disc option to BD50 to maintain original quality) then using that as input to BD Rebuilder to get the better final output?

Might I be better off buying AnyDVD HD and then using BD Rebuilder?
    10940x with Creator X299 Motherboard, 32GB DRR4-3733, RTX 3080 Ti GPU
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, original copy.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Yanta View Post
    "She" is doing exactly that for movies I save to my server. Direct Audio and Video Copy. So theoretically, I should be getting original quality? Yes? No?
    Full-disc backups with no errors and no re-encoding (or transcoding) are exactly the same quality as the original even if produced by different decrypters.

@usually_quiet: I must admit I'm not familiar with BD Rebuilder. I've been tempted to try it, but I fear it will conflict with AVStoDVD which I occasionally as they use different versions of the same tools. I think perhaps it's time I bit the bullet and installed BD Rebuilder on my test PC and got to know it a little better. It seems like quite a good program.
    I think that you'll be OK. It looks like avisynth is the only program required to be installed separately that AVStoDVD and BD Rebuilder both use. Except for avisynth, LAVFilters, and ActiveX controls, AVStoDVD stores all the other programs it needs in its own folders and except for ffdshow, Haali Media Splitter and avisynth, BD Rebuilder stores all the other programs it needs in its own folders.

That being said, I have only tried BD Rebuider for basic/no menu Blu-ray authoring.

Am I correct in my understanding that I would be using DVDFab for the decryption of my original disks to Blu-ray structure or ISO (full disc option to BD50 to maintain original quality) then using that as input to BD Rebuilder to get the better final output?

Might I be better off buying AnyDVD HD and then using BD Rebuilder?
    AnyDVD HD is the equivalent of DVDFab Passkey. You aren't interested in playing your original Blu-ray discs with your PC, so I don't see any advantage in having it if DVDFab is doing a good job with decryption.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    I used AnyDVD with CloneDVD by slysoft/elby long before I switched over to DVDFab. To me, CloneDVD was flawless. It hasn't been updated since 2015 but it's still #1 in my book.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    I used AnyDVD with CloneDVD by slysoft/elby long before I switched over to DVDFab. To me, CloneDVD was flawless. It hasn't been updated since 2015 but it's still #1 in my book.
    CloneDVD was yet another transcoder, and as such, far from flawless. DVDRebuilder could give superior results.

@Yanta
    BD Rebuilder and AVStoDVD are compatible. I've used them on the same machine for many years now. I don't have Haali installed anymore. LAV Filters is what both authors recommend these days.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    CloneDVD was yet another transcoder, and as such, far from flawless. DVDRebuilder could give superior results.
    rolling my eyes lol

CloneDVD was the best copier. Full movie or main movie. I never "transcode" because I know they both suck
    If I want to encode, I use MeGUI because I know what I'm doing.
    So yeah, CloneDVD was flawless @ "straight copy, full or main"
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    rolling my eyes lol

CloneDVD was the best copier. Full movie or main movie. I never "transcode" because I know they both suck
    If I want to encode, I use MeGUI because I know what I'm doing.
    So yeah, CloneDVD was flawless @ "straight copy, full or main"
    Wow, you're an arrogant little snot aren't you? CloneDVD was never a necessary purchase. Its main purpose was to transcode DVD's to fit onto single layer discs. It could be used as you did, with full copies or main movie only, but the same thing could be done, with the EXACT same quality using something as simple, and free, as DVDShrink in No Compression mode.

CloneDVD was just a cash grab and totally unnecessary. There are any number of similar programs for DVDs and Blu-ray now, which do not offer advantages over the free tools.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Wow, you're an arrogant little snot aren't you?
    I still love you
    DVDFab & CloneDVD
    I know those 2 programs very well
    Plus, who pays for software these days? *Giggle*
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So if I just want to rip a bd to make a Fan Edit with Vegas, Fab is ok providing I use the full 50g output option?
    Quote Quote  
  18. I realize I'm responding to an old thread, but here's my two cents. DVDFab is good for decryption, its compression is fast and it offers a lot of different functions. But I notice that its compression efficiency isn't as good as some of the free tools I've used. I guess that is the tradeoff for speed. Unlike the free tools, DVDFab does not seem to allow you to adjust the encoder speed or many of the other video encoding options. It is a good option if you want something quick that is easy to use. BD Rebuilder or Handbrake do a better job imo and are also free but take longer. I would do a couple of test encodes and see which one you think looks better. As said, the free tools take longer, but I find the end result better.
    Last edited by stonesfan99; 15th Jun 2018 at 07:38.
    Quote Quote  
  19. DVDFab does have direct copy mode. It can also 'transcode'.

That said it's encoder produces just okay quality, there are free tools that are far better.
    Also MakeMKV is superior by far for 'direct copy'.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not a pro but after testing all the best rippers and encoders, I narrowed it down to DVDFab (All-in-One license) and AnyDVD HD+BD Clone. I'm talking strictly BD backing up and conversion. To be honest, DVDFab is the only solution that can rip or clone a BD and remove the Cinavia watermark and put the audio back into place, whereas RedFox downmixes the audio to stereo.

As far as conversion goes, DVDFab is faster with good results at the lowest quality settings and is still faster than the competition at high quality settings. I find it to be a complete solution for backing up and converting DVD and BD to portable files.

One feature I really like about Fab is that I can link my phone up to the software and it lets me know when something is done. Nice touch. One thing Fab does really well is video cropping and trimming. The operation is simple, a bit primitive, but flawless.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by Video Enthusiast View Post
    I'm not a pro but after testing all the best rippers and encoders, I narrowed it down to DVDFab (All-in-One license) and AnyDVD HD+BD Clone. I'm talking strictly BD backing up and conversion. To be honest, DVDFab is the only solution that can rip or clone a BD and remove the Cinavia watermark and put the audio back into place, whereas RedFox downmixes the audio to stereo.

As far as conversion goes, DVDFab is faster with good results at the lowest quality settings and is still faster than the competition at high quality settings. I find it to be a complete solution for backing up and converting DVD and BD to portable files.

One feature I really like about Fab is that I can link my phone up to the software and it lets me know when something is done. Nice touch. One thing Fab does really well is video cropping and trimming. The operation is simple, a bit primitive, but flawless.
    imo dvdfab is a great tool for ripping. i would not use it for compression because as others have said, it seems to use a faster set of encoding options which will produce lower quality.
    Last edited by stonesfan99; 26th Apr 2020 at 16:34.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks stones. I agree. Fab is my go-to ripping software and I've tried them all. Handbrake gets the files down a lot smaller but sacrificing time. Fab essentially gives great results with the lowest stock settings but sacrificing smaller file sizes. With that said, I discovered that my issue is that I'm trying to encode the 3:2 pulldown framerate. There is nothing I can do about it as of yet. So, everyone trying to apply an h.264 codec to file-converted video is going to run into that problem.

What's interesting is that a DVD or BD that is hard coded with 3:2 pulldown framerate gives smooth panning on playback but somehow encoders like Handbrake and Fab can't seem to handle those extra, what appear to be, interlaced frames.

How do you guys get around the 3:2 pulldown from ripped video?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Video Enthusiast View Post
    What's interesting is that a DVD or BD that is hard coded with 3:2 pulldown framerate gives smooth panning on playback but somehow encoders like Handbrake and Fab can't seem to handle those extra, what appear to be, interlaced frames.

Handbrake's "Decomb" feature has been invaluable in that respect for me, at least.
    Quote Quote  
  24. (Scrubbed)
    Last edited by stonesfan99; 26th Apr 2020 at 16:32.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
    Originally Posted by Video Enthusiast View Post

Handbrake's "Decomb" feature has been invaluable in that respect for me, at least.
    I totally forgot about my original post. Thanks for the reply. It appears that DVDFab has updated this issue in Fab11. In fact, 11 is faster, can encode to smaller files, and can encode 3:2 pull down apparently, or at least much smoother than before. I'm really happy with 11. It has replaced everything else.
    Quote Quote  
  26. When I use MKVPassthrough to convert DVDs to MKV I have found on numerous occasions that DVDFab stretches 4:3 videos to Widescreen! MakeMKV doesn't. Does anyone know of a way to stop DVDFab from doing this?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by magnu View Post
    When I use MKVPassthrough to convert DVDs to MKV I have found on numerous occasions that DVDFab stretches 4:3 videos to Widescreen! MakeMKV doesn't. Does anyone know of a way to stop DVDFab from doing this?
    try selecting the profile generic.mkv.h264.audiocopy and see if you get the stretched video
    see post #3 - https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/software-support-english/dvdfab-dvd-ripper-blu-ray-rippe...v-aspect-ratio
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by magnu View Post
    When I use MKVPassthrough to convert DVDs to MKV I have found on numerous occasions that DVDFab stretches 4:3 videos to Widescreen! MakeMKV doesn't. Does anyone know of a way to stop DVDFab from doing this?
    try using the profile generic.mkv.h264.audiocopy see post #3 - https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/software-support-english/dvdfab-dvd-ripper-blu-ray-rippe...v-aspect-ratio
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Update on DVDFab. It's been years and they really have improved the software. There isn't a BD that I can't rip. If you're on the fence about buying it, it's a purchase you won't regret. Get the full suite with all the modules. Ripping and converting is what I use to backup all my BD movies so I can load them on my server. As mentioned before, the 3:2 pulldown encoding has been fixed to give great results for re-encoding to CRF24 for smaller archives. Still, I would suggest using the CPU and FFMpeg for converting with the best results. Using something like NVENC or other hardware encoders gives decent results but the best results are produced when using CPU encoding. YMMV. If time matters, use hardware accelerators.

For my old DVDs, Fab is great. For upscaling...I tried their Enlarge AI module a year ago and wasn't impressed.I do recall it took hours and crashed just to do a 2-hour movie. Understanding how upscaling works, it could take all night to upscale a 2-hour DVD movie to HD on a fast computer. I haven't tried their Enlarge AI since...perhaps it's been improved. I will have to demo it and see how much it's been improved.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are using a 4K tv - let THAT be your upconversion. Otherwise try Topaz AI for permanent upconversion.
    Quote Quote