VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie here! I wanted to post on this forum as I can see a variety of activity (questions, answers) about Streamclip MPEG. Thanks in advance for your help.

Anyway, I'm having issues with clips that I've converting using Streamclip MPEG. The originals don't have these artifacts, but once converted, they appear. Please see sample images below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sample 2.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	657.0 KB
ID:	42445Click image for larger version

Name:	Settings.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	42446Click image for larger version

Name:	Sample 1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	637.1 KB
ID:	42447

The file is output as .mov from Streamclip MPEG using the AVID DNxHD codec. Original footage in this case has been captured using a Nikon D3300 (25 fps), but the same artifacts appear using Geforce Experience's Shadowplay to capture game footage from screen (variables FPS, but targetted at 60).

My graphics card is a GTX-1070, and my processor is an Intel i7-6700HQ. My settings are in the photo above.

Am I being silly here? I assume it's a simple case of changing a setting here or there, but being a novice, I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks SO much for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are using OS X, you should notify a moderator to move your post to the Mac forum where you can get more help.

MPEG Streamclip has not had a new release in 5 years and that last release is beta software. If this problem is the result of a bug, it is unlikely to be fixed. Maybe it is time to consider using other software for conversion or editing.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 28th Jul 2017 at 12:04.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for your reply.

I'm on Windows 10 (the only thing I didn't specify, stupidly). The reason I use Streamclip MPEG is that it can fix FPS as well as converting to a useful codec for editing (ProRes, Avid). Does anyone have any recommendations?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found a post about a simple trick using tsMuxerGui which might work for changing VFR to CFR: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/378898-VFR-to-CFR#post2448043

No re-encoding happens since the video and audio are simply remuxed to a different container (ts or m2ts), which means you can encode using AVID DNxHD codec as a separate step without loosing quality unnecessarily. TEncoder is supposed to be able to use AVID DNxHD codecs via ffmpeg. See https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/356127-How-to-convert-any-video-to-Prores-Premiere...Cut-Pro-format

I have not tried doing any of this since I have no files that I can use for testing. Other people may have better ideas.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 28th Jul 2017 at 16:33.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You could use ffmpeg to convert to dnxhd. A command something like:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i filename.ext -pix_fmt yuv422p -vcodec dnxhd -b:v 440M -acodec copy output.mov
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jagabos suggestion for converting to dnxhd is better. I tried TEncoder and its GUI can't use features from more recent versions of ffmpeg.
    Quote Quote