VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there
    I've downloaded the demo version of TMPGenc Video Mastering Works 6 & am hoping to fix up a video that I have a copy of which is wonderful quality, but is missing each second frame, which I think is down to the lower bitrate it has been saved in.

The video itself is in 4:3 & is 960x540. From what I can gather if I enter Deinterlacing settings I can make some changes to the video that may it play more smoothly, but as I don't do this sort of thing often, I'm not sure what settings I should change in TMPGenc in order to make the recording smoother?
    Quote Quote  
  2. 960/540 gives 1.778 in other words 16:9 and secondly i have a feeling your video is not interlaced, otherwise prove it with a picture. Mediainfo is a good tool to know a little more about your video
    Last edited by themaster1; 27th Jul 2017 at 13:57.
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. The video itself is in 4:3, and is an episode of Doctor Who, which has been downloaded from Britbox, whereas the actual file is 16:9. I used the ChrisPC software to get it, & this was at the highest setting the software has. I'm presuming the actual settings are how the episodes are being streamed on Britbox?
    Last edited by magnu; 27th Jul 2017 at 11:58.
    Quote Quote  
  4. rookie mistake (i been there)
    You should have captured 1080i (interlaced) unless you have deinterlaced the footage while capping. If not it's going to be a mess to fix and in any case subpar quality.
    Upload a video sample when you can otherwise i'll not reply anymore in this thread
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Many episodes of that program were created on film and are not interlaced. Likeley it's hard telecined and encoded as interlaced. As stated, we need a sample.

Upscaling SD to HD is a waste of time.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    rookie mistake (i been there)
    You should have captured 1080i (interlaced) unless you have deinterlaced the footage while capping. If not it's going to be a mess to fix and in any case subpar quality.
    Upload a video sample when you can otherwise i'll not reply anymore in this thread
    I grabbed the episode at the highest settings available, which was 1080i. I shall upload a clip later today which shows where the problem is.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Many episodes of that program were created on film and are not interlaced. Likeley it's hard telecined and encoded as interlaced. As stated, we need a sample.

Only one episode was ever created on film & has since been released on Blu-Ray. All of these episodes are from the classic series & were made on video. Many of them were released on DVD & were Vidfired. However, some of the early DVDs were of poorer quality of what has since been made available. They are of superior quality, though I doubt they have been also Vidfired, but I could be wrong? The only problem I can see is the low framerate, & when viewed it results in jerky motion.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the correction about film -vs- video. All of he shows I've seen broadcast over here for the past umpteen years are telecined or use some weird frame structure for NTSC.

- My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  9. If you grabbed the "1080i" version then why is this 960x540 pillarboxed ? There is a chance you can salvage that 1080i version if the fields are intact

That sample is already progressive and deinterlaced (1/2 the frames discarded) , and resized .

Since it's already missing 1/2 the information, nothing will really help. You can try to synthesize every 2nd frame with optical flow techniques, but it runs the risk of artifacts (some types of scenes it works ok, others it fails miserably)
    Quote Quote  
  10. e.g. avisynth , mvtools2 / mflowfps , to "synthesize" every 2nd frame

https://www.mediafire.com/?deuu7nm12q6ybr5
    (For some reason I can't upload clip directly to this site, keeps on failing)

It works ok in that sample clip with only minor artifacts, because there's not a lot of motion . But this is not really a representative clip of lots of scenes in typical Doctor Who . You would expect some scenes to fail a lot worse
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    If you grabbed the "1080i" version then why is this 960x540 pillarboxed ? There is a chance you can salvage that 1080i version if the fields are intact

That sample is already progressive and deinterlaced (1/2 the frames discarded) , and resized .

Since it's already missing 1/2 the information, nothing will really help. You can try to synthesize every 2nd frame with optical flow techniques, but it runs the risk of artifacts (some types of scenes it works ok, others it fails miserably)
    When viewed on BritBox prior to download the 1/2 frames effect is still there. Others that I know of also downloaded the episode at 1080i, as they said it kept the image quality up? I can give it a go at the 720i settings & see how it looks? Don't know about the 960x540 though? Can only assume that's how BritBox are streaming it?
    Quote Quote  
  12. [QUOTE=magnu;2492400]
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    You can try to synthesize every 2nd frame with optical flow techniques, but it runs the risk of artifacts (some types of scenes it works ok, others it fails miserably)
    Any software that will do that?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    If you grabbed the "1080i" version then why is this 960x540 pillarboxed ? There is a chance you can salvage that 1080i version if the fields are intact
    The clip I grabbed was in 1080p
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by magnu View Post

When viewed on BritBox prior to download the 1/2 frames effect is still there. Others that I know of also downloaded the episode at 1080i, as they said it kept the image quality up? I can give it a go at the 720i settings & see how it looks? Don't know about the 960x540 though? Can only assume that's how BritBox are streaming it?

Maybe they are using a proper downloading method ?

The one you uploaded is not "proper" and already single rate deinterlaced , resized
    Code:
    Width                                    : 960 pixels
    Height                                   : 540 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
    Frame rate mode                          : Constant
    Frame rate                               : 25.000 FPS
    Standard                                 : Component
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits

But the one you uploaded is not . Maybe you uploaded the wrong one ?

You should try for 1080i , or 1080p50 if they had that

What are you using to download ? Maybe there is a better method

You can try to synthesize every 2nd frame with optical flow techniques, but it runs the risk of artifacts (some types of scenes it works ok, others it fails miserably)
    Any software that will do that?
    I posted an example in post #11 . It's free software (avisynth) , but there is a bit of a learning curve. There are other free options like msu frc in vdub , or paid options as well, twixtor (expensive), after effects are common ones
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by magnu View Post

Maybe they are using a proper downloading method ?

The one you uploaded is not "proper" and already single rate deinterlaced
    Code:
    Width                                    : 960 pixels
    Height                                   : 540 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
    Frame rate mode                          : Constant
    Frame rate                               : 25.000 FPS
    Standard                                 : Component
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits

But the one you uploaded is not . Maybe you uploaded the wrong one ?

What are you using to download ? Maybe there is a better method
    I'm using ChrisPC Video Tube Downloader. When I play the video on BritBox itself the artifact is still there.
    Quote Quote  
  16. But when you play on BritBox, are there selectable settings or streams ? e.g. can you choose a higher quality one ?

If others downloaded at 1080i , then either they are misreporting, or maybe downloading from another site/source ? , or maybe you should try another method to download . I'm not familiar with BritBox, so I don't know what "works". Or try asking them what they used
    Quote Quote  
  17. The episode was downloaded in 1080p. TMPGenc must have changed it to 1080i? Others who have downloaded these episodes from BritBox also have 1080i versions (that may or may not have been 1080p prior?) but still have the artifacts.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Was the sample you uploaded processed in any other way ? How did you "cut" the sample - "BritBox - Doctor Who Sample.mkv" ?

Let's clarify - by "artifacts" - you mean "not smooth motion" or 25p framerate - is that correct ? Not something else ?

ahhh crap , now I see

Writing application : TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 6 Trial with Movie Plug-in Version. 6.2.2.29
    Writing library : TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 6 Trial with Movie Plug-in Version. 6.2.2.29

You need to stream copy a sample . I'm guessing you might have botched it with TMPGEnc

First , check with mediainfo view=>text on the original download . Copy & paste the text view back here
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/MediaInfo

The report will look like this (but hopefully not this)
    Format : Matroska
    Format version : Version 4 / Version 2
    File size : 5.20 MiB
    Duration : 15 s 189 ms
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 2 869 kb/s
    Encoded date : UTC 2017-07-28 02:16:43
    Writing application : TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 6 Trial with Movie Plug-in Version. 6.2.2.29
    Writing library : TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 6 Trial with Movie Plug-in Version. 6.2.2.29

Video
    ID : 2
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L3.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 8 frames
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Duration : 15 s 200 ms
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Nominal bit rate : 2 550 kb/s
    Maximum bit rate : 10.2 Mb/s
    Width : 960 pixels
    Height : 540 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
    Standard : Component
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.197
    Writing library : x264 core 148
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=8 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=1 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / slices=1 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / minigop=0 / stitchable=1 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=1 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=abr / mbtree=1 / bitrate=2550 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=3 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=10200 / vbv_bufsize=10200 / nal_hrd=vbr / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No
    Color range : Limited
    Color primaries : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : A_AAC
    Duration : 15 s 189 ms
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 spf)
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Forced : No
    Quote Quote  
  19. [QUOTE=poisondeathray;2492405][QUOTE=magnu;2492400]
    There's no option for either, only 1080p or 1080p60
    Quote Quote  
  20. We've probably been posting at the same time (i've gone back and made some ninja edits)

Can you go back and re-read some posts above ? Especially the post about posting mediainfo report on the orignal download
    Quote Quote  
  21. I will send the MediaInfo stuff in a few hours, as I'm taking mum for a doctor's appointment. I'll also send the info for an MKV version of the file, uploaded to the net by a friend (The original download, before going through TMPGenc, is FLV).
    Quote Quote  
  22. Here's the info for the original FLV:-

General
    Complete name : C:\Users\William\Documents\ChrisPC VideoTube Downloader\BritBox - Doctor Who S13 E9.flv
    Format : Flash Video
    File size : 313 MiB
    Duration : 25 min 21 s
    Overall bit rate : 1 723 kb/s

Video
    Format settings, RefFrames : 4 frames
    Codec ID : 7

Audio
    Format profile : HE-AAC / LC
    Codec ID : 10
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz / 24.0 kHz
    Frame rate : 23.438 FPS (1024 SPF)

And here's the MP4 that was downloaded elsewhere:-

General
    Complete name : C:\Users\William\Documents\Vuze Downloads\Pyramids of Mars [Digital]\13x09 - 082 - The Pyramids of Mars.mp4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media
    Codec ID : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
    File size : 312 MiB
    Overall bit rate : 1 720 kb/s
    Writing application : Lavf57.71.100

Video
    ID : 1
    Format settings, RefFrames : 4 frames
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate : 1 621 kb/s
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.125
    Stream size : 294 MiB (94%)

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format profile : HE-AAC / LC
    Codec ID : 40
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 96.0 kb/s
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz / 24.0 kHz
    Frame rate : 23.438 FPS (1024 SPF)
    Stream size : 17.2 MiB (6%)
    Language : English
    Alternate group : 1
    Quote Quote  
  23. This can wait...go take care of your mom

Those are all messed up 960x540 , 25p .

You need 25i (sometimes called 50i , but both mean 50 fields per second interlaced) , or 50p

So the "other people" were wrong about the "1080i" or they have different files that aren't represented here

There are ways to motion interpolate on just on playback too, for example svpflow / smooth video project
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    e.g. avisynth , mvtools2 / mflowfps , to "synthesize" every 2nd frame

https://www.mediafire.com/?deuu7nm12q6ybr5
    (For some reason I can't upload clip directly to this site, keeps on failing)

It works ok in that sample clip with only minor artifacts, because there's not a lot of motion . But this is not really a representative clip of lots of scenes in typical Doctor Who . You would expect some scenes to fail a lot worse
    Hi there. Only just had the opportunity to look at that clip & it looks great! I've downloaded AviSynth but not really sure how to go about using it, so if you are able to help me out or point me in the direction to a simple to use page on getting the settings to use to emulate more of what you have done to achieve the effect?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by magnu View Post

I've downloaded AviSynth but not really sure how to go about using it, so if you are able to help me out or point me in the direction to a simple to use page on getting the settings to use to emulate more of what you have done to achieve the effect?

A bit of a learning curve getting started with avisynth but it's not that bad really once you get started. There is some hassle collecting plugins and dependencies too, because many are developed by various people and distributed separately from the main install

Basic info on getting started
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Getting_started

Basically you have to "load" a video with a source filter for each script. It's all done in text. You can do it notepad, save it, then change the extension from .txt to .avs . To preview scripts you can use virtualdub / virtualdubfiltermod or avspmod . In the example below, I loaded your sample video with ffms2, using FFVideoSource() . It's a separate plugin

https://github.com/FFMS/ffms2/releases
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/FFmpegSource

For this you could copy & paste and just change the filenames and paths for each video if you wanted to get it done quickly, then look into it in more detail at a later date or adjust some of the filters or settings to tweak the results

There are dozens of different optical flow/ interpolation scrips or variations. Some may produce slightly better or worse results in some situations, but they all fail, (and sometimes very badly, ugly artifacts) in other situations. The most common ones used in avisynth for general use are interframe, svpflow . They are based on mvtools2 as well. I used the most basic variant in that example, with just minor modifications to the overlap and search settings

Code:
    FFVideoSource("BritBox - Doctor Who Sample.mkv")
    source=last

super = source.MSuper(pel=2)
    backward_vec = MAnalyse(super, overlap=4, isb = true, search=3)
    forward_vec = MAnalyse(super, overlap=4, isb = false, search=3)
    source.MFlowFps(super, backward_vec, forward_vec, blend=false, num=50, den=1)
    You could have cropped the pillarbox if you wanted to (this is 4:3 content in a 16:9 frame). It would actually process and encode faster that way (fewer pixels). But I left them in for this exmaple

You need to encode the script. Avisynth is a frameserver, it doesn't produce audio or video by itself. There are various GUI's and CLI applications that have avisynth support

I used ffmpeg, but it's probably not user friendly to use when getting started. For me it's easier to do it that way, but there are GUI's that batch everything like encode video, encode audio, mux, all behinds the scenes. One reason I used it is because I wanted to stream copy the audio , instead of re-encoding it (avoidable quality loss) . So that script only contains video, no audio. When you use avisynth, it frameserves uncompressed audio and video, so generally you can't use "stream copy" with avs, otherwise you are copying uncompressed streams (massive filesizes) , not the original video & audio

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.avs -i "BritBox - Doctor Who Sample.mkv" -map 0:0 -map 1:0 -c:v libx264 -crf 19 -c:a copy output.mp4
    The 1st input is the avs, the 2nd input is the actual video, but I'm taking the 2nd stream from the video, which is the audio . -map 0:0 means use 1st input, 1st stream (numbering starts from zero) . -map 1:0 means take 2nd input, 1st stream (so that would be the original audio). -c:a copy means stream copy the audio. -c:v libx264 calls the AVC encoder, x264 . -crf 19 is the "rough" quality level rate control. Lower values give larger filesizes
    Quote Quote