VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Thread
  1. I am a long time AnyDVDHD user who did not re-purchase from RedFox when Slysoft went out of business so it currently doesn't function at all. I am now considering DVDFab products. Their product line is somewhat confusing. I want to confirm which products I need to rip Bluray discs to my Windows 7 PC hard drive for playing over the network by a hardware streamer (Dune D1).

    I think I need:
    >Passkey to remove copy protection
    >Cinavia remover for those discs that have it.

    Do I also need Bluray Copy or can I just use ImgBurn to rip, like I did with AnyDVDHD? What benefits would Blu-ray copy provide over ImgBurn?

    They have bundles of some of their products, but none of the bundles seem to include Passkey, so I assume that is a separate purchase in addition to any individual or bundled products, right?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    I have used Passkey (it is a separate product), and it is great for some purposes, but not if you want to use DVDFab's Cinavia removal software, since according to DVDFab, that requires actual ripping/copy software too:

    Special Note: Despite being sold as standalone options, DVD Cinavia Removal and Blu-ray Cinavia Removal do not work independently, because technically speaking, these two products are integrated into other related products. More specifically, Blu-ray Cinavia Removal requires Blu-ray Copy, Blu-ray Ripper or Blu-ray to DVD Converter to realize the purpose of removing Cinavia watermark, while for the time being, DVD Cinavia Removal requires DVD Copy to achieve the same target.
    DVDFab Passkey is not ripping software. It only does decryption on-the-fly. It cannot replace the existing audio with the new audio processed by DVD Cinavia Removal or Blu-ray Cinavia Removal. You would need Blu-Ray Copy too if you are using DVDFab Passkey.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Jul 2017 at 13:34.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks. I think you have confirmed that I need Passkey, Bluray Cinavia Remover ,and Bluray Copy to rip blurays to my hard drive as an ISO, right?
    There is a bundle that contains Bluray Copy, Bluray Ripper, and Bluray Cinavia Remover, so I may buy that plus Passkey. The Ripper may be useful sometime even though not neccesary to create ISO files.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dalemccl View Post
    Thanks. I think you have confirmed that I need Passkey, Bluray Cinavia Remover ,and Bluray Copy to rip blurays to my hard drive as an ISO, right?
    There is a bundle that contains Bluray Copy, Bluray Ripper, and Bluray Cinavia Remover, so I may buy that plus Passkey. The Ripper may be useful sometime even though not neccesary to create ISO files.
    Yes, I think you would use Blu-ray Copy and Blu-ray Cinavia Remover together with Passkey running in the background to create a Cinavia-free copy on your HDD. Ask DVDFab for advice if you don't think this is the right method.

    FWIW, I don't copy my Blu-ray movies to burned media, and don't have any reason to worry about Cinavia, so I have no personal experience with this. I mainly used Passkey with an older version of PowerDVD Ultra to watch a few newer rented Blu-ray movies on my PC that my version of PowerDVD Ultra could not play on its own.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dalemccl View Post
    I am a long time AnyDVDHD user who did not re-purchase from RedFox when Slysoft went out of business so it currently doesn't function at all. I am now considering DVDFab products. Their product line is somewhat confusing. I want to confirm which products I need to rip Bluray discs to my Windows 7 PC hard drive for playing over the network by a hardware streamer (Dune D1).

    I think I need:
    >Passkey to remove copy protection
    >Cinavia remover for those discs that have it.

    Do I also need Bluray Copy or can I just use ImgBurn to rip, like I did with AnyDVDHD? What benefits would Blu-ray copy provide over ImgBurn?

    They have bundles of some of their products, but none of the bundles seem to include Passkey, so I assume that is a separate purchase in addition to any individual or bundled products, right?
    if you are putting your movies on a media player, then you should not need the cinavia removal tool.
    Quote Quote  
  6. [/QUOTE]

    if you are putting your movies on a media player, then you should not need the cinavia removal tool.[/QUOTE]

    Thanks, I just read that on another forum and your reply confirms it. I won't purchase the DVD Fab Cinavia Remover then. Sounds like I just need Blu-Ray Copy and Passkey.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dalemccl View Post
    Thanks, I just read that on another forum and your reply confirms it. I won't purchase the DVD Fab Cinavia Remover then. Sounds like I just need Blu-Ray Copy and Passkey.
    If you don't plan to play the original Blu-ray disc, maybe you only need DVDFab's Blu-ray ripper software. ...or you can use MakeMKV in Backup mode or MKV mode for free.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord
    Quote Quote  
  8. If you don't plan to play the original Blu-ray disc, maybe you only need DVDFab's Blu-ray ripper software. ...or you can use MakeMKV in Backup mode or MKV mode for free.[/QUOTE]

    Thanks.
    I was thinking DVDFab's Blu-ray Copy program made 1 to 1 iso copies and Ripper could rip the main movie only and also create other formats such as .mp4. Is that right? I want iso full copies. Also do the the Ripper and Copy programs also need Passkey to decrypt or is decryption built-in?

    With regard to MakeMKV, I like that it is free, but wonder if the author can keep up with the protection schemes for new releases. What has been the experience of users here in that regard?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dalemccl View Post
    Thanks.
    I was thinking DVDFab's Blu-ray Copy program made 1 to 1 iso copies and Ripper could rip the main movie only and also create other formats such as .mp4. Is that right? I want iso full copies. Also do the the Ripper and Copy programs also need Passkey to decrypt or is decryption built-in?
    Looking at the looks like you are correct. Ripper is Blu-ray conversion software. You need Copy to copy the complete disc. The guide for Blu-ray Copy at DVDFab's website doesn't say that Passkey is needed, so it probably is not required. Sorry, for the confusion. DVDFab's product line has changed somewhat in the past few years.

    Originally Posted by dalemccl View Post
    With regard to MakeMKV, I like that it is free, but wonder if the author can keep up with the protection schemes for new releases. What has been the experience of users here in that regard?
    It has always worked for me, but I haven't used it often, mostly to help someone here with a problem. Plus, my movie collection is small, and nothing I have tried it on is a brand new release or an obscure title.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Jul 2017 at 21:51. Reason: spelling
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have a similar problem... Currently there is a sale on dvdfab's website for the so-called DVDFab All-In-One Lifetime Gift (which judging by its name should include all products, right?):

    DVDFab DVD Copy
    DVDFab DVD Ripper
    DVDFab Blu-ray Copy
    DVDFab Video Converter
    DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper
    DVDFab UHD Copy
    DVDFab UHD Ripper
    DVDFab Hi-Fi Audio Converter
    DVDFab DVD to Blu-ray Converter
    DVDFab Blu-ray to DVD Converter
    DVDFab DVD Creator
    DVDFab Blu-ray Creator
    DVDFab DVD Cinavia Removal
    DVDFab Blu-ray Cinavia Removal
    DVDFab DRM Removal for Apple
    DVDFab Screen Recorder & Editor for iOS

    ...now, what is conspicuously missing is Passkey. Also, missing from this lineup is software to decrypt and to remove Cinavia from UHD discs. I sent a query to their support and got back the following answer:

    "You do not need Passkey for DVD and Blu-ray, to copy and burn your DVDs and Blu-ray's, your DVD Copy and Blu-ray Copy will do all the jobs.
    DVDFab Passkey is a Windows-based driver that works on-the-fly to unprotect encrypted movie DVDs and Blu-ray discs. Which supports to remove all Blu-ray/DVD copy protections and rip to your HDD then you need to use other software to burn the DVD to your blank disk. Please check the link to see how to use passkey: http://www.dvdfab.cn/tutorial/Passkey-for-DVD.
    UHD Copy/Ripper do not remove protection at present. It would add decrypt function latter. Please keep an eye on our website and forum."


    Note that they only mention copying and burning of DVD and Blu-rays, when they discuss the all-in-one product, not ripping discs, so their supposedly "comprehensive" Lifetime Gift (not sure why they call it a "gift", if it costs more than 200 USD) in fact does not contain all you need, and instead contains some pretty useless stuff (DVDFab DRM Removal for Apple, DVDFab Screen Recorder & Editor for iOS, DVDFab DVD to Blu-ray Converter, DVDFab Blu-ray to DVD Converter), while at the same time you will need to cash in extra for Passkey.

    Very sneaky!
    Quote Quote  
  11. I can only give my personal opinion and that is - stick with the free tools (such as MakeMKV for ripping and Handbrake/BD Rebuilder for compressing). DVDFab is nice if you are looking for something that is fast. But I have had a lot of issues with its ripping and compression.
    Last edited by stonesfan99; 18th Mar 2018 at 00:55.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads