VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've read a lot on here, but this is my sole target.

The best card I ever used was a MSi Tv@nywhere, the non-plus version without a tuner and 10bit ADC. Obviously the captures were 8bit, but the S-video was the cleanest out of all the sub $300 devices... too bad it's PCi (without the 'e').

Any sub $400 pci-e suggestions? Or should I chance it with a pcie to pci riser adapter for the old MSi?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by gilporp View Post
    I've read a lot on here, but this is my sole target.

The best card I ever used was a MSi Tv@nywhere, the non-plus version without a tuner and 10bit ADC. Obviously the captures were 8bit, but the S-video was the cleanest out of all the sub $300 devices... too bad it's PCi (without the 'e').

Any sub $400 pci-e suggestions? Or should I chance it with a pcie to pci riser adapter for the old MSi?
    you need do a comparation between cards because for what we know its not the best [i not see it review here], you can try colossus or ati 600 usb.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As far as internal capture cards for video transfer go I believe the older ATi all in wonder cards used to be a very good option, this limits your options to a legacy XP build however. It does appear that you are in the market for a newer alternative, most people doing this thing tend to go the external route for a capture device however I'm not sure of any major benefits / losses in either direction.

I've been using the StarTech USB3HDCAP for a while and is similar to the Black Magic Intensity Shuttle and is capable of a little bit more, it does in fact come in a PCi-e variant within your price range.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-HDMI-Video-Capture-Device/dp/B00U8KSSRY?th=1

I imagine it would be quite difficult to base your choice solely on the quality of the capture but when spending this much money on a capture device (unless it's notoriously bad) the difference in quality is usually marginal and will ultimately differ in features.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you to you both. I'll try the Startech or ATi and buy an adapter just to see. It's been well over a decade since I used the MSi (which was best of all sampled devices at doom9 back in the day, Haup was the worst).

Not that any of this will matter much as the tapes were all recorded with the onboard lamp and mic, so the quality can only have certain expectations.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gilporp View Post
    Thank you to you both. I'll try the Startech or ATi and buy an adapter just to see.
    Like I said about the ATi card, they aren't made anymore so you will have to find a second hand one and the software that it uses only works on Windows XP. If you are going to go that route simply adapting the PCi to PCi-e wont work, you will need a dedicated machine to run the card. You might be able to use a Virtual Machine running XP, however having never owned one of the cards I can't really elaborate on what the current use scenario for it would be.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have that card (both PCI and ISA variants), and about 12 others. The MSI has the cleanest video of them all. I haven't done this since about 2005, but I used to capture cartoons off of sat all day long (even had an iRC bot for others to schedule captures).

The VM would work, but first I'll soon discover if the riser adapter I bought is dangerous to my PC .
    Quote Quote