VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi please be simple (I'm a c*t)

my notebook pc is too slow to do encoding using x264

I have a HP envy J113EL and to do encoding it do 22/23 fps to do encoding in medium/high quality using ffmpeg/x264.

I wonder what is the most powerfull sistem at today to improove encoding speed so that I don't have to wait too much to encoding.

And I specify: I'm not satisfact of QSVenc and NVenc, theyr quality is not comparable with X264. They don't have all option set of X264 and at the best quality of QSV and NVEnc they runs @ 40/50 fps and the quality is not jet comparable to the x264.

So what is the powerfull processor/system that can encode at least at 3/4x my actual speed encoding?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Your laptop has an Intel Core i7-4702MQ, 4 cores, 8 threads, 2.20 GHz base freq., 3.20 GHz turbo freq., AVX2?

Since x264 encoding speed is mostly determined by CPU power and that is already a relatively powerful laptop CPU it will be very difficult to find a laptop that at least 3 times faster. The Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC is supposed to be released this summer and has an AMD Ryzen 7 1700 CPU. Ryzen seems to do well with x264.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    your computer is probably i/o throttled. it does have 2 physical hard drives but they are slow 5400rpm units. you should look into something like the dell alienware laptop with an intel i7 7th gen, 2 1tb ssds and a 1 tb hd. i7 7th gens are much cooler running and use less power for a longer battery life.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    your computer is probably i/o throttled. it does have 2 physical hard drives but they are slow 5400rpm units. you should look into something like the dell alienware laptop with an intel i7 7th gen, 2 1tb ssds and a 1 tb hd. i7 7th gens are much cooler running and use less power for a longer battery life.

Not an i/o issue unless you're dealing with uncompressed video or massive file transfers . He's using xdcam422 so definitely not . A ssd or even ramdisk would only make about 0.1% difference.

Originally Posted by marcorocchini View Post

my notebook pc is too slow to do encoding using x264

I have a HP envy J113EL and to do encoding it do 22/23 fps to do encoding in medium/high quality using ffmpeg/x264.

I wonder what is the most powerfull sistem at today to improove encoding speed so that I don't have to wait too much to encoding.

And I specify: I'm not satisfact of QSVenc and NVenc, theyr quality is not comparable with X264. They don't have all option set of X264 and at the best quality of QSV and NVEnc they runs @ 40/50 fps and the quality is not jet comparable to the x264.

So what is the powerfull processor/system that can encode at least at 3/4x my actual speed encoding?
    For "notebook", it also depends on your definition of "notebook". There are some crazy DTR's (desktop replacements) that weigh about 16lbs (Not really "portable" unless you are a steroid cat) with 2 discrete GPU's, but use server chips and will burn a hole in your wallet (and pants because they run so hot). Battery life < 1 hour .

But higher thread count per encode isn't necessarily better - you get lower quality the higher number of threads . It's better to run simultaneous encodes at lower threads

Also your GPU's were older. The gt750m is a kepler (1st generation) . HD4600 is older too. Better quality and speed on pascal (about 300-350fps for 1080 for 2passHQ AVC) . But with the crazy "laptops" with 2x1080 you could probably encode 2 streams at 350fps simultaneously

Kaby lake quicksync can do 10bit HEVC (I think you need the intel hd graphics 620, not the older version), I would think it would be better than 8bit AVC from x264, quality/compression and speed wise - but I haven't seen detailed tests , or you're probably more specifically interested in interlaced tests
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 24th Jul 2017 at 11:09.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I am typing this reply on what, at the time, was what I intended to be "ultimate" portable laptop (as opposed to a "luggable" laptop, as described above). I went to a vendor who still did custom builds (Lenovo). I started with their most competent model and then clicked on "yes" for every change or add-on that would improve performance. It has two separate video cards (an nVidia for when I need GPU); SSD cache (I bought this 3+ years ago, before SSDs were large enough ... no way you can have a video editing computer that only has 128 GB of storage); lots of memory; and the fastest Intel processor I could get.

I actually have not done much video editing on it because a laptop is such a huge compromise in performance. If you are truly serious about video editing, then you have no business doing the main part of your work on a laptop.

Doing your everyday video editing on a laptop is a really dumb decision.

However, if you absolutely must edit in the field for some reason, then build a custom laptop, as I described above.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 24th Jul 2017 at 12:07. Reason: added "luggable" comment
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    But higher thread count per encode isn't necessarily better - you get lower quality the higher number of threads . It's better to run simultaneous encodes at lower threads
    Funny you should mention this, but the MSU codec tests, if you look through the fine print, are all done using -threads 1, one has to admire the patience they have to encoder 1080p and 4k video with x264+placebo and x265+very slow with only one thread.

On a related note, the 2017 MSU test is also being done with a Sky Lake system, should be interesting if Intel wins this competition back to back.

I'm thinking of picking up a cheap Kaby Lake powered lap top, though I think I'll wait until Coffee Lake to see if Intel included improved graphics on the 6 core parts.

As for this forum's cat lover's question, you know I can't even be bothered, if it's not one silly question it's another and everything is cat related, it's like watching that old Batman tv show from the 60's, I loved that show and this guy's ruining for me, he reminds me of a cat version of Egghead, where everything was egg related with him.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    a laptop is such a huge compromise in performance
    It's not as big of a gap as it used to be , if you're only comparing to typical desktop (not workstation class). A high end gaming laptop today, is faster than a high end consumer desktop about a year ago, and very close to a desktop of the same generation. They just cost much more for the equivalent build on a desktop. But they can use the same desktop processors i7-7700 and GPU's GTX1080 in laptops now, with about the same clocks as their desktop counterparts, same bus speeds, with no thermal throttling. SSD storage / m.2 is the same. One big difference is cooling and overclocking. You can get exotic cooling more easily and overclock higher on desktop, but some people don't bother with overclocking

Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    On a related note, the 2017 MSU test is also being done with a Sky Lake system, should be interesting if Intel wins this competition back to back.
    Why wouldn't they use Kaby lake for the next test ? It's been out for a while
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Why wouldn't they use Kaby lake for the next test ? It's been out for a while
    I found it odd as well, the 2015 test was done with a Haswell, then the 2016 was done with a Sky Lake, one would think that the 2017 test would be done with a Kaby Lake but maybe they done have the budget for it, though it's hard to imagine a major university not being able to afford 1 new computer for testing purposes.
    Quote Quote