VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Canon G40 and panasonic 990 both see a visible change in exposure when the next aperture is dialled in during filming in full manual mode. By now surely in the evolution of camcorders this should be a progressive feed.
    Q1. Do bridge cameras do this ?

secondly focusing, the 990 was hopeless at keeping focus on a slow to medium speed moving object, likewise a Panny FZ330 on both its focusing modes on default settings. Took a second or so to catch up when target stopped., just went out of focus bigtime despite target in frame throughout the action.
    Q2. Is this normal for Bridge Cameras ?

Panasonic seem to be designing with a thumbwheel for manual focus, this is an atrocious way of focusing, after a 100 yrs of the evolution of photography. , on the FZ330 turning this half a turn upward to put out of focus the subject, then saw five half turns required downward to get it back to focus. A lens in focus on something with traditional focus ring would require same turn backwards as was made forwards to get back to focus, not 1cm fwd and 5 cm backwards to get back to 'in focus'. Which bridge cameras have a decent focusing ring on lens acting in a traditional equidistant way to home in on focus and not a thumbwheel ?
    Q3. Which camcorders at top end of consumer market or creeping into pro level have a decent focusing ring that is fast at focusing ?

Colour and greyscale rendition was accurate in Bridge Camera as well as DSLR but desaturated and greyscale fell short of delivering to the full range of greyscale, i.e. greyish whites and black was dark grey at best, result was a jaded video.
    Q4. Do Bridge cameras and DSLR outperform camcorders regards greyscale and colour accuracy ? These two leading camcorders failed.

Canon G40 side screen and viewfinder looked faded, jaded and desaturated, greyscale was poor. It didnt show the colours of the scene it was aimed at when placed alongside a Panny 990 which did match the view. Increasing brightness of the screen was not the answer.
    Q5. Was this a faulty G40 or are they like this ? Using viewfinder to see if subject was in focus using manual focus was terribly hard due to this lack of clarity and reality., a shame as it has a focus ring.

Q6.Which camcorders give full manual shutter and aperture control, so they can be aimed at the sky ? Bridge will have this ability by default, am I right ?

DBenz
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Assuming by Canon G40 you mean HF G40, I can maybe answer some of your queries as I have the almost identical HF G30. I can't help with bridge cameras though.

As to aperture, a visible change in brightness is to be expected when changing the iris setting, otherwise we would be in trouble!

Q3. The HF G30 focus ring (so presumably the HF G40) works pretty well and I have not seen any of the effects you describe. I also hate the silly little wheel/dial for focusing, I have a camcorder with this feature and when I use it which is not often, it stays in auto focus!

Q4. I have no problems with grey scale or colour rendition, but then I do shoot as flat as possible.

Q5. I also have no problems using the EVF and the image looks OK to me. I don't use the OLED screen except as a keypad, unless absolutely necessary. My preference.

Q6. The HF G30 (so again presumably the HF G40) has full manual control of shutter, iris and gain via the Custom dial and button. Slightly fiddly, but works perfectly well. As there is no separate switching for the ND filters, if enabled they automatically come in at f4.0. I keep them enabled.

If it helps, I have had the HF G30 for four years and find it to be a very good and versatile camcorder, it's the first one I haven't wanted to change after six months!
    Quote Quote  
  3. The AX53 which you rejected in a previous thread is capable of smooth exposure transitions. You seemed determined to use an exposure compensation setting rather than simply adjusting the exposure.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi.
    thanks for the reply. I hope the XA30 overcomes what I experienced in the G40, being a pro camcorder and a few hundred pound more, its a G40 with a handle and audio extras from the outside !
    As to aperture, a visible change in brightness is to be expected when changing the iris setting, otherwise we would be in trouble!
    In Q1 I meant that I saw a sudden jump in exposure as opposed to the change being fed in in a progressive smooth way, very unprofessional and impossible to edit out.

Smrpix says AX53 gives a smooth change, sio a browny point to Sony there, damn shame its got no full manual., and reports say the focus ring is so slow as to not be worth having. Manual Focus and panfocusing is crucial to airshow filming.

Smrpix, You seemed determined to use an exposure compensation setting rather than simply adjusting the exposure.
    , ....no !!! , I want to use full manual, the option of shutter priority and exp comp is a secondary thought incase it takes out the pain of keeping one eye on aircraft and another on the weather.

DBenz.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In Q1 I meant that I saw a sudden jump in exposure as opposed to the change being fed in in a progressive smooth way, very unprofessional and impossible to edit out.
    You mean like a de-clicked detachable lens?

I just had a play with my HF G30 to confirm to myself that I don't see jumps in exposure when manually operating the iris. I don't. Yes, when starting at f1.8 and closing it shows f2.0, f2.2, f2.4 etc., but to my eye the image darkening looks smooth. Even at f4.0 when the ND filters kick in it still seems pretty smooth i.e. f4.0 gradually darkens until ND 1/2 comes in, then gradually darkens again until ND 1/4 comes in and again until ND 1/8.

I hope the XA30 overcomes what I experienced in the G40,
    Let's hope so, but AFAIK it has the same optical system as the HF G40, with added IR and the XLS connectors on the handle.
    Quote Quote