VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    MPC-HC released their latest version today, and it looks like it might be the last one.

You can see the announcement at their site: https://mpc-hc.org/2017/07/16/1.7.13-released-and-farewell/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    According to XhmikosR's post, the project is now officially dead as of the latest v1.7.13 release. I really hate to see that because I've been using it as my default media player since the beginning days of the original Media Player Classic.

Sadly, most good things eventually come to an end.
    Last edited by Dr. TaaDow; 17th Jul 2017 at 15:46.
    Alienware 13 R3 | Intel Core i7-7700HQ | 32GB Crucial BALLISTIX DDR4 RAM | Windows 10 Pro Build 1703 Creators Edition x64
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    What about MPC-BE (which I thought was pretty comparable ?) -- does that not continue ?

I've mainly been a VLC user, but it is always good to have alternatives on hand. There have been quite a few of them listed here. Not sure which of them may still be around. I gave up on Gom a long time ago, over some controversy I no longer recall. Never tried Zoom, or several others. Light Alloy looked like it should have been interesting, but, uh, not quite. Daum seemed overly complicated in its UI, so never really got into that. It did seem pretty capable, though.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would assume MPC-BE would continue, though maybe based on the last MPC-HC code. Though they could develop it further themselves.
    I would check with the MPC-BE site, though it may take a while for them to adjust and reply. https://sourceforge.net/projects/mpcbe/
    Or maybe others will take over the MPC-HC project and keep the program updated.
    Quote Quote  
  5. MPC-BE forked years ago. It is not based on the latest MPC-HC code (though from time to time the devs may pick some new code from each other).

All this panic is unnecessary.
    1.) For a long time we basically only got the most basic maintenance in MPC-HC. Not many new feature. It's mature and still works fine.
    2.) It's open source and too popular to simply die. And indeed, new (and old) developers have already stepped up and started working on it and a new build was released.

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=174738
    https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1812598&postcount=3137
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    All this panic is unnecessary.
    I'm not panicking regarding MPC-HC. It works excellent for me and plays everything I throw at it. I just like to see such great projects keep improving, especially if/when bugs are found.
    Alienware 13 R3 | Intel Core i7-7700HQ | 32GB Crucial BALLISTIX DDR4 RAM | Windows 10 Pro Build 1703 Creators Edition x64
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm glad it's not dead. Every so often I try a different player, then go back to MPC-HC. Maybe I'm set in my ways, but Potplayer does my head in trying to find simple settings and I've never liked VLC. I can't remember what it is about MPC-BE I didn't like as I haven't used it in a long time. Although MPC-BE doesn't support XP any more, which is a pity.

SMPlayer seems to be improving nicely. I tried it again recently (I hadn't in quite a while) and I could almost replace MPC-HC with it. I'll have to say goodbye to MPC-HC if I dump Windows and switch to Linux anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    SMPlayer seems to be improving nicely. I tried it again recently (I hadn't in quite a while) and I could almost replace MPC-HC with it. I'll have to say goodbye to MPC-HC if I dump Windows and switch to Linux anyway.
    I see we are in agreement on Daum / Potplayer. I'll take a look at SMPlayer. Gom Player is not even still listed in the software index here, but I hadn't used that for a number of years anyway. VLC I'm just quite accustomed to, and it has been a reliable 'Go To' choice for me . . . although some not-so-favorable reviews on later versions have me still using v. 2.0.5 or 2.0.7.

You can't just rely on one player anymore, much as you can't get by with just one browser. Sometimes I have to cycle through a few players, just to confirm whether subs (or something else) that I think must be present actually are. It may come through in one player but not another. Similarly, some webpages display differently (or properly) in one browser but not in another. You have to cross-check to find out. (I also do NOT like some design decisions that FireFox has been making, which will culminate in even worse changes come November.) Unfortunately, once-good software products don't necessarily stay good -- just like a lot of other products.
    Last edited by Seeker47; 19th Jul 2017 at 13:30.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  9. It stinks that it may be ending. My favorite media player. I just hate that there was never any explanation for the External Filters section. There's so many on there and I still don't know what some of them even do. What exactly is the Amazon Format Change Fixer? Something for Amazon Video? I really would love a more detailed FAQ or manual.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The "External Filters" section shows you the DirectShow filters installed on your system and allows you to block or prioritize them selectively, overriding their priorities as set in Windows. These filters are not part of MPC-HC (hence "External"). There are thousands of different DirectShow filters so there is no way the MPC-HC team would write a manual for all of them. They didn't write them. Maybe it would be easier to understand if these were called "External Codecs" instead of "External Filters".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectShow
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Sad news, this was my go-to player.
    Quote Quote  
  12. New versions have not signed digitally anymore. Do not know if they are safe to use?
    (Sorry to posting reply old thread)
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, they are safe. You can always try your downloads with www.virustotal.com and see what several antivirus programs says.
    Quote Quote