VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and copy Ultra HD Blu-rays and DVDs! Or rip iTunes movies and music! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi All

I recently purchased an LG RC389H VHS DVD combo unit from a local second hand recycle centre. Its in very good condition.

http://www.lg.com/au/dvd-blu-ray-players/lg-RC389H-dvd-vcr-combo

This player has HDMI out so I can play VHS tapes that are displayed in HDMI format as opposed to rca, scart or s-video. I have compared the quality of the VHS footage played through this unit with another standard vcr that only has RCA and the quality is considerable. I therefore am thinking because the unit has HDMI out for VHS and does some sort of quality upscaling, I could possibly use a gamers HD capture card that records xbox, playstation game play etc, to save my VHS playback on my computer in digital format that I can edit etc later on.

The following is a gamers card I am looking at getting which could be used also for recording game play i.e. dual purpose

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/games-consoles/platforms/game-capture/elgato-game-capture-hd60/618341/

Does anyone see any problems with this, especially technical or resulting file format etc

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could try a search on our site for ' elgato ' and you should come up with some posts/threads about that card.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by VidWidget View Post
    This player has HDMI out so I can play VHS tapes that are displayed in HDMI format as opposed to rca, scart or s-video.
    I doubt that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I get this strange feeling that I read this topic elsewhere but with the words in a different order

Before you even consider a capture card, have you actually played a VHS with this unit over HDMI ? Normally, such connections are only available for a dvd source. Much like if the unit has a s-video connector and VHS would not be available over that as well. Typically, VHS can only be played over composite/scart. Then gamer capture cards are not really suitable since they capture progressive rather than interlaced which is appropriate for VHS.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Downloaded the manual from the link in the OP. The unit supports dubbing from VHS to DVD - so it has a TBC. It supports SD->HD rescaling - so it does deinterlacing. There's no caveat regarding HDMI output being DVD only, but neither does it say "yes VHS to HDMI works"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by raffriff42 View Post
    The unit supports dubbing from VHS to DVD - so it has a TBC.
    I doubt that too. I've never read anywhere that ALL dubbing combo machines (must, always) contain some sort of TBC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Manual Page 11 - "...for use with DVD Players..."

But the manual also does not exclude the use of s-video.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Re-reading the initial post in this thread, I think VidWidget told us he has played a VHS tape with his LG recorder to test HDMI output.

I have compared the quality of the VHS footage played through this unit with another standard vcr that only has RCA and the quality is considerable.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm. I either missed that or read it wrong.

But if that is, and seems to be, the case, I do wonder what electronic trickery is going on under the hood. After all VHS is analogue. HDMI is digital. Neither the twain should be capable of talking to one another without some inter-conversion. So could the VHS be filtered/converted through the DVD stream to digital thus like a dub but without actually writing to a disk ?

So my next question to the OP is what output setting are you selecting ? The manual states you can select 576i (more appropriate for VHS) through to 1080p being a full upscale. But that should result in side-bars. And if they are not there then the image is all wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I do wonder what electronic trickery is going on under the hood. After all VHS is analogue. HDMI is digital. Neither the twain should be capable of talking to one another without some inter-conversion.
    What's going on is... Time base correction:
    Time base correction counteracts errors by buffering the video signal as it comes off the videotape at an unsteady rate, and releasing it at a steady rate.
    This must be done for conversion to a digital format. If you digitized it without such correction, the picture would be hideous - much worse than viewing VHS directly on an analog monitor (which smooths out time base errors to some extent). That's why I'm confident that any box that dubs VHS to DVD does time base correction
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But we are not talking about a dub here.

The analogue signal is usually separate to the digital one. Even composite and s-video, unless one has a S-VHS deck, are separate. I own a basic VHS/DVD combi and the unit explicably states that VHS is not available over s-video. Only over composite/scart.

Most dvd-recorders AFAIK have some form of TBC which is why they are recommended as pass-thro devices for standard VHS capture.

The question is why this unit apparently allows for output of VHS over HDMI. A TBC on its own does not, IMHO, cover that.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    The question is why this unit apparently allows for output of VHS over HDMI. A TBC on its own does not, IMHO, cover that.
    In order for DVD recorders to produce DVD-compatible MPEG-2 output from an analog tape source, there has to be analog to digital conversion, and possibly some other image processing applied somewhere along the line, in addition to TBC. Unlike some others, this DVD recorder probably is able to use that uncompressed digital video to output video over HDMI.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I still doubt it. The OP was here 15 minutes ago and said nothing. Either he doesn't know for sure that it does VHS to HDMI.....or he found out that it doesn't in the interim. That's my guess.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ It sure would help if he indeed was around to come on to his topic and actually contribute.

But having started two (plus one that was deleted) maybe he will just go for the hat-trick
    Quote Quote