VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I can remove silent parts of a clip's audio track in Audacity and shorten its duration. My issue is that I end up with a video track bigger then my audio track. I can Stretch it so it matches the duration of the shortened audio, but since the silence distribution is not uniform I will have many many places with audio and video out of sync.

I'm wondering if there's a tool out there that would allow me to truncate the silence and at the same time take care of the video sync?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Best to use a Non Linear Editor, something like Magix (Sony) Movie Studio. See here for more suggestions
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/382734-Software-that-allows-to-edit-both-video-and-audio
    Quote Quote  
  3. I don't see how that's a direct answer to my question >_>
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by probiner View Post
    I don't see how that's a direct answer to my question >_>
    Well it is. An NLE will edit both audio and video at the same time while keeping them in sync., so if you cut out audio you also cut out video. Most will allow audio to be split from video so they can be edited separately and re-synced if required.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by probiner View Post
    I don't see how that's a direct answer to my question >_>
    How's this? YES
    Quote Quote  
  6. I was looking for a way of having the video not just shrunk to the new audio length but also time remapped to recover sync. I don't want cuts to the video.

Sorry if I didn't word it right.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by probiner View Post
    I was looking for a way of having the video not just shrunk to the new audio length but also time remapped to recover sync. I don't want cuts to the video.

??

You have to cut the video to keep it in sync . Video has a duration too (expressed as number of frames / frames displayed per second). If you cut the audio duration, but not the video, it will go out of sync

Or how did you expect to "time remap" it? Can you explain what you had in mind schematically ?

Lets say upper case is video , lower case letters are the corresponding video

Code:
    ABCDE
    abcde
    Lets say "c" is silent, you cut the audio and ripple delete (join the gap with b to d, otherwise the silence would still be there) . It becomes out of sync unless you cut the video

sync problem
    Code:
    ABCDE
    abde
    perfect in sync
    Code:
    ABDE
    abde
    The exception would be VFR video, where the fps changes and it speeds up to "skips" over the section of audio you just cut out during playback. This can cause many problems and has a whole bag of compatibility issues. You might see flashing frames over the skipped section for example, depending on the audio cut. Easier and far better to cut the video
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by probiner View Post
    I was looking for a way of having the video not just shrunk to the new audio length but also time remapped to recover sync. I don't want cuts to the video.

Then you'll want a more advanced NLE like Premiere Pro or Vegas Pro.

I would recommend starting with the video, marking the start and end of where you want the time ramp to be at 100%, doing your speedup, and then cutting and pulling the audio back into sync.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Time remap is possible with video vfr, but stupid WRT maintaining sync with audio.
    Just imagine a countdown clip with frames visibly numbered and a flash at the first frame of each second corresponding to a frequency descending beep tone with offbeat marker clicks. And if instead of the tone, you find some loud airplane drone sound blaring between -6sec and -5sec.

Cutting audio out and time remapping the video will at best make something like the -7 to -6sec and -5 to -4sec sections be sped way up (with the timing of the beeps & clicks no longer matching the flashes nor the timecode). At least the remaining sections would be in sync.
    Worse would be just time shrinking the vid to go from 10 sec to 9 sec: it may be constant framerate but everything before the cut would be visually early and everything after the cut would be visually late.

You must rethink your assumptions. Just use an NLE & do ganged cuts or inserts, or do small L cuts and remap surrounding segments or replace silence with something else.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm struggling with the concept of editing out the silence in the audio. I don't understand why you'd want to do that if it's in sync with the video as it is. Maybe I'm missing something, but why not leave it?

If the silent sections aren't completely silent, but you want silence, why not reduce the volume until there's no sound rather than remove those sections and mess with the audio/video sync, or am I missing the point entirely?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    I'm struggling with the concept of editing out the silence in the audio. I don't understand why you'd want to do that if it's in sync with the video as it is.
    I'm with you. I have NO IDEA what this guy is talking about.
    Quote Quote