VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am trying to convert this very short clip to DVD with ConvertXToDVD but not matter what settings i use the result is stretched.
    If i use the black bars it is stretched inside them. It is from an old camera Fuji A825

Here is media info
    General
    Complete name C:\Videos\*********.AVI
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    File size : 26.4 MiB
    Duration : 47 s 0 ms
    Overall bit rate : 4 709 kb/s

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : JPEG
    Codec ID : MJPG
    Bit rate : 4 613 kb/s
    Width : 320 pixels
    Height : 240 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate : 30.000 FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:2
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 2.002
    Stream size : 25.8 MiB (98%)
    Title : FUJIFILM AVI STREAM 0100

Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness : Little
    Format settings, Sign : Unsigned
    Codec ID : 1
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 88.2 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 1 channel
    Sampling rate : 11.024 kHz
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Stream size : 506 KiB (2%)
    Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
    Interleave, duration : 1000 ms (30.00 video frames)
    Interleave, preload duration : 1000 ms
    I tried AVSTODVD but it stopped with message "process aborted". AVSTODVD says the AVI is a JPEG?

It says JPEG-4612 kbps-320x240- DAR 4.3 - 30fps -interlaced - 47 seconds -1410 frames
    Quote Quote  
  2. "Stretched" how? You do realize every DVD must be anamorphic? On playback the player will resize e.g. 720x480 (1.5:1) to 4:3.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    "Stretched" how? You do realize every DVD must be anamorphic? On playback the player will resize e.g. 720x480 (1.5:1) to 4:3.
    The aspect ratio is wrong. The width of a car is too wide for its height
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Load the file into avstodvd and at the top codecs/build directshow filter graph.

Does it play? If not, you may not have a dshow codec enabled for mjpeg
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    320x240 is not valid for DVD, and neither is 30.00 fps. To follow-up sneaker's comments, all frame sizes for DVD are anamorphic. The frame rate for NTSC DVD is 29.97 fps, not 30. The encoder is trying to give you a valid DVD frame size and frame rate. Your original audio sampling rate isn't valid, either. It should be 48KHz.

Check the specs for PAL and NTSC DVD: https://www.videohelp.com/dvd#tech. The nearest legal frame size for your 320x240 original would be anamorphic 352x240, which will look stretched in an editor. After it's encoded for DVD at 4:3 DAR it will playback with the correct 4:3 image ratio. The encoder might try to make it the more standard DVD frame size of 720x480, I don't know. I don't use ConvertXtoDVD. But 320x240 won't work for DVD, no matter what software you use. Period.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Load the file into avstodvd and at the top codecs/build directshow filter graph.

yes it played
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sounds View Post
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post

yes it played
    Post the AVStoDVD log
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    320x240 is not valid for DVD, and neither is 30.00 fps. To follow-up sneaker's comments, all frame sizes for DVD are anamorphic. The frame rate for NTSC DVD is 29.97 fps, not 30. The encoder is trying to give you a valid DVD frame size and frame rate. Your original audio sampling rate isn't valid, either. It should be 48KHz.

Check the specs for PAL and NTSC DVD: https://www.videohelp.com/dvd#tech. The nearest legal frame size for your 320x240 original would be anamorphic 352x240, which will look stretched in an editor. After it's encoded for DVD at 4:3 DAR it will playback with the correct 4:3 image ratio. The encoder might try to make it the more standard DVD frame size of 720x480, I don't know. I don't use ConvertXtoDVD. But 320x240 won't work for DVD, no matter what software you use. Period.
    I am on PAL The sound does not matter it is only the sound of a car
    Last edited by Anonymous; 11th Jul 2017 at 17:38.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post

Ok thanks. I am on PAL The sound does not matter it is only the sound of a car
    AT least as far as AVStoDVD is concerned, the source file does not matter, since it resizes the video and
    resamples the audio as necessary.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    The original is 30fps and the O.P. wants PAL DVD?
    The sound doesn't matter?
    ...Curiouser and curiouser...
    That white rabbit will be coming through here any time now.

I pass.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM

I pass.
    HI LMotlow,
    AVStoDVD takes care of it using avisynth, it either does MotionProtectedFPS(25) or ChangeFPS(25),
    quick and dirty but it works.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post

Ok thanks. I am on PAL The sound does not matter it is only the sound of a car

AT least as far as AVStoDVD is concerned, the source file does not matter, since it resizes the video and
    resamples the audio as necessary
    i would have thought so I would have thought convertx would resize it too but it only resized the black bars
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post

I pass.
    HI LMotlow,
    AVStoDVD takes care of it using avisynth, it either does MotionProtectedFPS(25) or ChangeFPS(25),
    quick and dirty but it works.
    Yep, we've seen many of those mutilations, and a flood of VH and Doom9 posts by people asking how to repair them, which ain't possible. O.P. doesn't have to wonder about 240 or 480 frame height -- looks like he's wondering about 352x288 or 720x576 now.

This could go on for a long time.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post

I pass.

no one is asking you to get involved
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You did, when you opened the thread.

You live in a PAL area? Well, you should still be able to play NTSC material (most PAL devices can).
    Make it an NTSC dvd at 1/4D1 (352x240), 1/2D1 (352x480) or -most likely- full D1 (704 or 720x480), depending upon which authoring app you use. 1/4d1 is most natural strategy for this material, but lots of authoring apps don't know how to handling anything but full d1.
    Either way, there should be stretching in the intermediate encode (if shown using square pixel rendering player), but no stretching once authored & played back with a proper player. And it should not have any letterboxing or pillarboxing.
    Framerate should just be slowed down to 29.97. That way you will have no motion stuttering or interpolation issues, though you will need to time stretch you audio to compensate and stay in sync (it'll need to be resampled anyway).

What has already been told to you is how you should go. Whether you heed the advice is your choice. If a certain app won't play nice with your needs, either learn more about how to customize the settings, or do it manually (cli apps) or live with it looking wrong.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    In more polite terms, ditto. I'm sure you'll figure it out with all the information given. DVD isn't a square-pixel format.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    You did, when you opened the thread.

You live in a PAL area? Well, you should still be able to play NTSC material (most PAL devices can).
    Make it an NTSC dvd at 1/4D1 (352x240), 1/2D1 (352x480) or -most likely- full D1 (704 or 720x480), depending upon which authoring app you use. 1/4d1 is most natural strategy for this material, but lots of authoring apps don't know how to handling anything but full d1.
    Either way, there should be stretching in the intermediate encode (if shown using square pixel rendering player), but no stretching once authored & played back with a proper player. And it should not have any letterboxing or pillarboxing.
    Framerate should just be slowed down to 29.97. That way you will have no motion stuttering or interpolation issues, though you will need to time stretch you audio to compensate and stay in sync (it'll need to be resampled anyway).

What has already been told to you is how you should go. Whether you heed the advice is your choice. If a certain app won't play nice with your needs, either learn more about how to customize the settings, or do it manually (cli apps) or live with it looking wrong.

Scott
    i did not. i opened it to get constructive ideas not smart comments . both of you now on ignore. bye
    Quote Quote  
  18. I had to edit this file in Vegas and the resulting MPEG-4- in an mp4 container- can be converted with Convertxtodvd and not stretched. Has a big black border but that does not matter
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What file?
    Why don't you post a sample?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    What file?
    Why don't you post a sample?
    the file the OP is about
    Quote Quote