VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. When playing video in both mpc/kodi it seems that it won't display accented letters like ō. (it's just an empty space in its place)

though they look fine in aegisub and notepad

how do i fix this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. What subtitle format are you using? What character encoding are you using? Today mostly UTF-8 should be used (test with and without BOM). Are they embed or separate file? Does the font you are trying to use include the "ō"?

"mpc" is what? Latest MPC-HC? With Internal Subtitle Renderer (ISR)?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Does the font you are trying to use include the "ō"?
    Ah i didn't even think of that, it must be it since when i changed the font to arial it appeared normally.

how do you know if a font supports it?

edit: I opened both the fonts with FontForge and the one that doesn't show it (called Profile-Regular) has the letters included in the font so i guess that's not it...

and yes i'm using utf-8, i'm not sure what you mean about BOM though.

this is an .ass subtitle file, i'm using MPC-HC with ISR.

with kodi the subtitles are rendered with xysubfilter.
    Last edited by Tylerr; 11th Jul 2017 at 09:23.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Marsia Mariner
    Originally Posted by Tylerr View Post
    Ah i didn't even think of that, it must be it since when i changed the font to arial it appeared normally.

how do you know if a font supports it?
    I myself use the olde and goode charmap.exe.

edit: I opened both the fonts with FontForge and the one that doesn't show it (called Profile-Regular) has the letters included in the font so i guess that's not it...
    Does FontForge say whether the font was authored properly?
    Including a character is not sufficient, the character must be assigned to the correct Unicode codepoint.

and yes i'm using utf-8, i'm not sure what you mean about BOM though.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_order_mark#UTF-8

BOM in UTF-8 is a misnomer, to begin with. This is a very-good reason to use UTF-16 instead.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Marsia Mariner View Post
    Does FontForge say whether the font was authored properly?
    Including a character is not sufficient, the character must be assigned to the correct Unicode codepoint.
    well it seems to be, they are all in the same spots, how do you tell if its done correctly?

i opened it in charmap and it is there

Quote Quote