VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My old 32 bit PC is dying and want to go 64 bits and stay with windows 7

I know 7th generation CPUs are only supported under W10 (no security updates)

So 6th generation CPUs may go for bargain prices (and motherboards)

i'm a hobbyist at editing ...and trying lots of stuff ...
    and now most trialware and serious open source editing software are 64 bits.

So Blackmagic Design's Davinci Resolve seams really a must to try
    and it's expected system specs are over the top ...but are they?

Now, What would you recommand fot PC built ?

NVidia GTX 1050ti? i'm kinda lost .. and really want to keep it under 2000$
    ideally 1800$ i want spare change for a USB capture device.

Thanks to all

i still live in canada so maybe americans should read 1650$(us) instead of 2000$(can)
    Last edited by smartel; 11th Jul 2017 at 04:54.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know about bargain prices on slightly older Intel chips as they don't really have a good response to Ryzen and Intel is still on Skylake, with Kaby Lake being an optimization and Coffee Lake coming out being yet another optimization. So if you don't want to go Ryzen then you still have to go with Skylake (or even Haswell). You could get pretty cheap FX AMD chips, like the FX-6300 and higher but I would not really recommend them for performance and efficiency reasons when you could spend a bit more and get a R5 1600 or even more for a R7 1700x.

Ryzen will work with Win7, its just you might have to set up Windows 7 with PS2 keyboard/mouse until everything is installed as Win7 does not support USB 3.0 during installation. Might have to also install some simple hacks that hide what CPU you really have from Windows (for automatic updates to work). I've also read about people just downloading the bundled update packs from Windows instead of using auto update, and it working. But I'll have to look into that more. Should say I'm still on Win7 and plan on staying for as long as I can too.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smartel View Post
    My old 32 bit PC is dying and want to go 64 bits and stay with windows 7

I know 7th generation CPUs are only supported under W10 (no security updates)

So 6th generation CPUs may go for bargain prices (and motherboards)

i'm a hobbyist at editing ...and trying lots of stuff ...
    and now most trialware and serious open source editing software are 64 bits.

So Blackmagic Design's Davinci Resolve seams really a must to try
    and it's expected system specs are over the top ...but are they?

Now, What would you recommand fot PC built ?

NVidia GTX 1050ti? i'm kinda lost .. and really want to keep it under 2000$

Thanks to all

i still live in canada so maybe americans should read 1650$(us) instead of 2000$(can)
    What parts do you think you will be able to keep? What parts in addition to the motherboard, CPU, VGA and RAM do you want to replace? How old is the PSU?
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 11th Jul 2017 at 12:36. Reason: left out VGA
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well i got a response from my tech he suggested -

CPU i7-6700,
    ASUS Z170-K
    RAM. KINGSTON 2133, 16 Go
    DISK 1 SSD SAMSUNG 250 Go
    DISK 2 SEAGATE 6Gb/s, 1 To
    VIDEO ASUS GTX1050 TI-4 Go
    DVD LG 20X : 30 $
    POWER SUPPLY COOLER MASTER 550 WATTS
    TOWER COOLER MASTER 2 FANS
    WINDOWS 7 HOME 64B

What do you think?

my old PC (i bought it used .) well the HDD died maybe i'll replace it and try to learn a little linux .. next winter
    Last edited by smartel; 11th Jul 2017 at 14:49. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You should consider getting a better video card. According to what I dug up with Google, DaVinci Resolve makes heavy use of the GPU and its memory for image processing, so it is important not to skimp there. See https://www.dcinema.me/davinci-resolve-system-requirements-a-reality-check/

[Edit]I almost forgot. The linked article also recommended using a large capacity SSD or HDDs in a RAID configuration for storage.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 11th Jul 2017 at 15:40.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    and what would be a quality/price card for this ..i can get the ASUS for around 230$(can) the 1060 blows the 400$ mark

i will do SD, no HD or 4K .. and i can change it later ..

isn't that configuration guide for 4K/realtime editing?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smartel View Post
    and what would be a quality/price card for this ..i can get the ASUS for around 230$(can) the 1060 blows the 400$ mark

i will do SD, no HD or 4K .. and i can change it later ..

isn't that configuration guide for 4K/realtime editing?
    You never mentioned that you were only planning to work with SD video before now. The linked configuration guide for DaVinci Resolve includes requirements for both HD and UHD material, but nothing for SD.

I'm guessing that the author did not expect people working exclusively with standard definition video would be interested in using DaVinci Resolve.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, doubt you really need much for dealing with SD.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well davinci resolve does a lot of great things ...multicamera and audio too ..
    and if my future pc can drive this ...well would also drive any other software..

and doing SD isn't a sin ..
    Last edited by smartel; 11th Jul 2017 at 16:29.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SD is not a sin, it's just not that demanding.

If you get something similar to the specs in post #4, you should be able to drive anything other program like Premier Pro and Vegas without issue in HD or 4K. Same certainly goes for SD.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by smartel View Post
    .. and really want to keep it under 2000$
    Note, Resolve does not support most, if any, AVI formats (e.g. LAGS, UTVideo, DV-AVI, etc.) and AFAIK, only supports uncompressed UYVY, the format BMD's capture cards use. This makes editing SD content a challenge, necessitating a transcode of all your capped footage prior to ingest. Of course, some people will jump through all kinds of hoops because they love the Resolve koolaid. If you told me that you shoot 4K in a flat/sLog/cine or some other profile that requires custom LUTs/grading prior to any editing, ok. But, this is SD footage, and there is nothing that you will be able to do in Resolve that you can't do in any other capable NLE. In fact, Resolve will mangle your footage some because it does not operate in YUV space. I am repeatedly nonplussed why people are willing to spend thousands of dollars on new hardware to get Resolve up and running but not $50 to $100 on a capable NLE that will run great on their current system.
    Quote Quote