VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I’m looking for software that can burn 4k content to Blu-ray and keep the resolution, Dolby Atmos Track, and HDR. The 4k content is encoded in H.265 .MKV files. I’m trying to burn them to Blu-ray where they will play on a UHD Blu-ray player. I have tried DVDfab, nero, and other freeware and they all failed with various error messages. DVDfab is the closest I have come to burning them successfully. I’m able to create a Blu-ray with a regular 1080p H264 .MKV file with the Dolby Atmos track.

With DVDfab I was able to convert a 4k H265 .mkv to an .m2ts file. But it encodes it in H264 and HDR is lost. I even tried to burn the .m2ts file using “Nero BDMV” and it came up with an error saying only “.m2sts” file can be added to the “stream” folder. But the file is an .m2ts. \BDMV\STREAM\*.m2ts

DVD fab error:
    Work 0 failed, Error = control graph control_filter_error error: filter name(filter_common_demux), type(1), id(33), get std_exception(bad allocation)

The MKV files can play using Plex keeping the resolution and HDR, but the ATMOS track is not passed through. I understand the requirements to play 4k movies on the PC. I don’t need it to play on the PC just need it to burn to a disc and play on a 4k Blu-ray player. I have the pioneer 4k burner and an LG BD-xl burner. So that should not be an issue.

Has anyone been successful with burning 4K Blu-ray?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It sounds like you are trying to author a UHD Blu-ray disc with standard Blu-ray authoring software, which is never going work. There are some significant differences between UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray. For one thing, the Blu-ray spec allows VC1, H.264 or MPEG-2, but not H.265, plus UHD resolutions and HDR are not part of the Blu-ray spec. Also, while Dolby Atmos is used on commercial Blu-ray discs, consumer Blu-ray authoring software often has limitations on the audio formats that it will accept which exclude things like Dolby Atmos and DTS HD as input.

There is no consumer UHD Blu-ray authoring software available. Commercial UHD Blu-ray authoring software is way too expensive for mere mortals, and if that weren't enough, purchase is restricted to bonafide members of the entertainment industry.

Burning is not the same as authoring. If your audio and video are multiplexed in an appropriate container file, you may be able to burn your files as data with Imgburn. Playing them with a UHD Blu-ray player is another matter, where success depends on the UHD Blu-ray player's capabilities as a media file player.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 10th Jul 2017 at 12:09.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can try to mux to (m2)ts using ffmpeg or tsMuxer. But going along the lines of what usually_quiet said: you will not be able to create a 100% compliant UltraHD Blu-ray at home. So the result may or may not work on every UltraHD Blu-ray player. (But the same is true for "normal" Blu-rays created at home. They are burnt, not pressed. Not encrypted. Their file compliance is questionable and often they are like some bastard child of Blu-ray and AVCHD. Unlike what many people believe there is no guaranteed playback with these.)

Note about mkv and TrueHD/Atmos:
    Mkvtoolnix splits combined AC3+TrueHD tracks into two separate tracks. Make sure that you are selecting the correct track if that is happening for you.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    plus UHD resolutions and HDR are not part of the Blu-ray spec. Also, while Dolby Atmos is used on commercial Blu-ray discs, consumer Blu-ray authoring software often has limitations on the audio formats that it will accept which exclude things like Dolby Atmos and DTS HD as input.
    Yea I understand resolutions , Atmos, and HDR are not part of the Blu-rays specs. Dvdfab allows you to keep the audio track and not downgrade the audio. That's why I was able to burn 1080p with the atmos track intact. My Xbox one passed the audio to my receiver fine but my expensive overpriced Samsung 4K Blu-ray player wouldn't pass the atmos audio track and in some cases wouldn't read burned Blu-rays. Other burned Blu-rays work on the xbox one (not 4k). I wish I had the Xbox One S instead of the Samsung 4k Blu-ray player but I'm waiting for the next Xbox.

Also I've tried imgburn to burn as data, but the Samsung 4k player won't pass atmos via mkv files like it would on a retail 4k disc. Xbox one doesn't read mkv files at all.

I'll try the suggestions that Sneaker made but my best bet may be to figure out how to get Plex to pass the atmos audio as I was it was able to play content in 4K and have HDR. Online searches show people have done it but I can't figure out how they did it with Plex
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mikbrowne View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    plus UHD resolutions and HDR are not part of the Blu-ray spec. Also, while Dolby Atmos is used on commercial Blu-ray discs, consumer Blu-ray authoring software often has limitations on the audio formats that it will accept which exclude things like Dolby Atmos and DTS HD as input.
    Yea I understand resolutions , Atmos, and HDR are not part of the Blu-rays specs. Dvdfab allows you to keep the audio track and not downgrade the audio. That's why I was able to burn 1080p with the atmos track intact. My Xbox one passed the audio to my receiver fine but my expensive overpriced Samsung 4K Blu-ray player wouldn't pass the atmos audio track and in some cases wouldn't read burned Blu-rays. Other burned Blu-rays work on the xbox one (not 4k). I wish I had the Xbox One S instead of the Samsung 4k Blu-ray player but I'm waiting for the next Xbox.

Also I've tried imgburn to burn as data, but the Samsung 4k player won't pass atmos via mkv files like it would on a retail 4k disc. Xbox one doesn't read mkv files at all.

I'll try the suggestions that Sneaker made but my best bet may be to figure out how to get Plex to pass the atmos audio as I was it was able to play content in 4K and have HDR. Online searches show people have done it but I can't figure out how they did it with Plex
    The Samsung UBD-K8500's manual lists "Dolby Digital" (AC3) and "DD+" (E-AC3) as supported audio in media files but not "Dolby TrueHD", so your expensive Samsung UHD Blu-ray player probably does not support the use of Dolby Atmos in any type of media file.

Why would it? The use of Dolby Atmos is restricted to commercially produced UHD Blu-ray discs and commercially produced Blu-ray discs. As far as the entertainment industry is concerned, nobody should be ripping them.

[Edit]I checked the Samsung UBD-K8500 manual's "Digital Output Selection" section. Media files are not mentioned there. The Samsung UBD-K8500 appears to be incapable of bitstreaming Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos unless it is playing an authored UHD Blu-ray disc or an authored Blu-Ray disc.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 10th Jul 2017 at 17:42.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    [Edit]I checked the Samsung UBD-K8500 manual's "Digital Output Selection" section. Media files are not mentioned there. The Samsung UBD-K8500 appears to be incapable of bitstreaming Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos unless it is playing an authored UHD Blu-ray disc or an authored Blu-Ray disc.
    Yea it's able to pass Atmos to my receiver fine with retail UHD disc. I guess it purposely won't pass Atmos with other types of media files. I get an error of audio codec not supported or something like that.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mikbrowne View Post
    but my best bet may be to figure out how to get Plex to pass the atmos audio as I was it was able to play content in 4K and have HDR. Online searches show people have done it but I can't figure out how they did it with Plex
    Maybe you already read them, but here are the posts on the subject that I read at the Plex forum/support pages:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/263045/truehd-and-dolby-atmos
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/252485/nvidia-shield-tv-and-dolby-atmos-compatibility-via-plex-app
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/212072167-Audio-Configuration-Guide-Plex-Media-Player

It seems the Plex server will stream Dolby Atmos, as long as the Plex client device and its player supports bitstreaming it to an audio receiver. The NVIDIA Shield TV (not cheap), which also supports UHD video and HDR 10, was recommended as a client. https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-SHIELD-Streaming-Media-Player-Version/dp/B01N1NT9Y6/
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the same problem, trying to burn 4K video but no reasonably priced software is available, yet (I hope).
    As a stopgap I burn my 4K material as a video file onto 25 or 50 GB blanks, 264 or 265 and the Samsung will play them just fine but I have simple stereo only.

Cyberlink Power Director is due with a new version in the next few month and I hope they will have that feature.

Eugene
    Last edited by Eugene157; 19th Jul 2017 at 13:12.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Eugene157 View Post
    I have the same problem, trying to burn 4K video but no reasonably priced software is available, yet (I hope).
    As a stopgap I burn my 4K material as a video file onto 25 or 50 GB blanks, 264 or 265 and the Samsung will play them just fine but I have simple stereo only.

Cyberlink Power Director is due with a new version in the next few month and I hope they will have that feature.

Eugene
    I think Mikbrowne already tried this. The main holdup is Dolby Atmos audio bitstreaming to his receiver, which the Samsung UBD-K8500 doesn't do when playing media files burned to BD as data. The Samsung UBD-K8500 does bitstream Dolby Atmos to his receiver when it is playing a commercial a UHD Blu-ray disc or a commercial Blu-ray disc. He's working on a solution utilizing Plex, which seems to support streaming UHD video, HDR, and Dolby Atmos bitstreaming, as long as the Plex client device supports them.

I'm doubtful that the next version of Power Director will support UHD Blu-ray authoring, let alone with Dolby Atmos audio, for all the reasons mentioned previously in that other thread that you participated in. (Yes, I remember you from your other thread.)
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Jul 2017 at 14:09.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, that is not what I wanted to hear!!

Hard to believe, that with all the devices around that will take 4K format videos, that there is no simple way to burn in the UHD BR format!

What happened to all those guys that created the likes of ImgBurn, TsMuxer etc?

So all we can do is wait and hope.

Eugene
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No surprise at all. UHD BD format was never intended by its makers (H'wood, studios) to be a DIY process, much to our disappointment.
    Deluxe format with deluxe features = deluxe process = deluxe cost & time (in their minds).
    And there is some truth to that in that elements such as rec2020 and HDR by being so much richer must be more complex and treated more intricately to properly maneuver through the workflow.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What happened to all those guys that created the likes of ImgBurn, TsMuxer etc?
    As already discussed last year, it will be necessary to reverse engineer UHD Blu-ray authoring to produce free software because technology licenses and documentation for UHD Blu-ray are both costly and hard to obtain. This will not be easy and won't happen overnight, if ever.

"Those guys" still need to find time for their day job to earn a living. Most freeware developers don't make much from donations. Note that ImgBurn has not been updated since June 16, 2013, TsMuxer has not been updated since January 20, 2014, and multiAVCHD has not been updated since July 4,2012
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe the days of burning stuff to physical media is over? File playback from increasingly cheap HDD is a lot easier and less time consuming. I haven't burnt a disc let alone play one for years other than ripping my discs on my PC to my NAS. Same for my 78 shellacs, Vinyl, CD's etc... Oh yes and few Edison cylinders from my grandfather's collection....
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  14. I’m glad I got some more feedback on this.
    An update:
    Someone was able to rip 4k Blu-ray disc with the proper folder structure. So for “testing” purposes I burned them to a triple layer BD-R (I used Verbatim). The disc burned fine and read fine on the PC. However the disc won’t read at all in the Samsung UBD-K8500 or an Xbox One S.
    Cyberlink PowerDVD 17 is the only software that will play 4k disc but the systems requirements are insane. It will read the disc but I get an error stating I don’t meet the requirements. This was not a problem at first because I didn’t care to watch 4k on my PC.

So for now I have given up on physical disc (I’ll buy it in 4k if I really want the movie. Not paying $30 each for movies I may only watch once or twice)

My solution:
    Windows 10 can pass Dolby Atmos and 4k to the receiver. I think Media Player Classic can pass HDR content, but my TV doesn’t display the word “HDR” when I hit info like it normally would with retail disc, but it looks like HDR is active. I compared it with Plex which does pass HDR, but not Atmos.
    My PC is hooked up to the Pioneer AVR via HDMI. Any MKV, M2ts, etc will play with the proper attributes e.g. 4k, Atmos, HDR, etc.

It’s still not perfect because my GPU can’t decode H.265 codec, so my CPU is doing all the work and it chokes my PC. But it plays.
    H.264 1080p (with Atmos) content plays perfect.

A lot of work just to play 4k with Atmos huh? Lol

PowerDVD 17 4k playback:
    Windows 10…………………. Check
    UHD Blu-ray drive……….. Check
    Kaby Lake i5 or i7………… Nope
    Intel 200 series motherboards …… Nope
    Intel Graphics and supports HDCP 2.2….. Nope
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need to connect the PC with an HDR-capable display using HDMI 2.0a/2.0b on both ends to pass HDR 10 metadata. HDMI 1.4 is unable to carry HDR 10 metadata, so the HDMI connections on most motherboards and many older video cards cannot provide it. I don't think DisplayPort 1.2 is able to carry HDR 10 metadata either, but DisplayPort 1.4 can.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Dear all ... My issue is different
    I purchased 4k UHD Salt Movie from USA ... I purchased 4K Drive from JAPAN model Number,... BDR-S11J-BK Pioneer Ultra HD Blu-ray Burner 4K Bluray internal drive BD/DVD/CD.. WHICH reads and copied to PC Perfectly... (USING Window 10 PC) after that i tried to play through 4K MEDIA PLAYER.. but unfortunately is not
    reading... I am totally upset on this... I imported this 4k DRIVE From Japan the cost of the DRIVE ALONE costed me around US$ 250/- BUT it is perfectly copying to pc but unfortunately it is not reading through MEDIA PLAYER.. (My MEDIA PLAYER is perfect 4K Player which i am watching many 4K contents of DOWNLOADED through you tube etc. but this file is not recognised.. CAN YOU PLEASE HELP me what i am missing on this... I am ready to buy any software tool to rip 4k BUT I do not want to loose the quality of either VIDEO or AUDIO... Please reply
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SATHIYANARAYANAN CHANDRAN View Post
    Dear all ... My issue is different
    I purchased 4k UHD Salt Movie from USA ... I purchased 4K Drive from JAPAN model Number,... BDR-S11J-BK Pioneer Ultra HD Blu-ray Burner 4K Bluray internal drive BD/DVD/CD.. WHICH reads and copied to PC Perfectly... (USING Window 10 PC) after that i tried to play through 4K MEDIA PLAYER.. but unfortunately is not
    reading... I am totally upset on this... I imported this 4k DRIVE From Japan the cost of the DRIVE ALONE costed me around US$ 250/- BUT it is perfectly copying to pc but unfortunately it is not reading through MEDIA PLAYER.. (My MEDIA PLAYER is perfect 4K Player which i am watching many 4K contents of DOWNLOADED through you tube etc. but this file is not recognised.. CAN YOU PLEASE HELP me what i am missing on this... I am ready to buy any software tool to rip 4k BUT I do not want to loose the quality of either VIDEO or AUDIO... Please reply
    Commercial UHD Blu-ray movies are encrypted to prevent playing a straight copy of the movie. You need ripping software to decrypt the movie as it is copied. A UHD Blu-ray ripper, deUHD was just released, but it cannot decrypt every movie and does not work with every UHD Blu-ray drive. deUHD is relatively expensive too. Once the movie is decrypted, you will probably need to have hardware assisted HEVC hardware decoding available from your GPU. Otherwise, it is likely that the movie will not play smoothly.

Playing the movie from the original disc that you purchased isn't simple either, even if you have a UHD Blu-ray drive. There is a long list of additional hardware and software requirements. See https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd-ultra/spec_en_US.html?&r=1

PS: You should have started another thread since the problem that you have is different.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Oct 2017 at 15:59.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting,
    If deUHD has the brains to circumvent UHD encryption it should be a piece of cake for them to come up with burner software. But they won't since nobody wants it!

Eugene
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting,
    If deUHD has the brains to circumvent UHD encryption it should be a piece of cake for them to come up with burner software. But they won't since nobody wants it!

Eugene
    Nobody wants it, I'm not sure that is true, Sounds like there is people on this site as well as other sites waiting for it, And if they came out with encryption software then in my opinion it won't be long for others to follow, They already make a burner for it so that should tell you something, It's all about the money.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i don't know about anyone else but i don't burn many discs at all anymore. i'm much happier putting video files onto my nas boxes and being able to play them anywhere. all my burned discs are in storage and will probably get tossed at some point...
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  21. I used ImgBurn 2.5.8.0 to burn Alien Covenant UHD Bluray from decrypted files with success. Movie fit to BD-RE 50GB disc.

Options I used:
    Write files/folders to disc
    Select BDMV CERTIFICATE directories to source.

From Options tab select UDF Revision 2.60
    Labels tab I fill Volume Label in UDF field.

It took almost 5 hours to burn with verify.
    My burner is 10 years old LG GGW-H20W and i used sony BD-RE 50GB 1-2X disc.

Disc tested with
    SAMSUNG UBD-K8500
    OPPO UDP-203

Disc worked fine in both players. Menus, Dolby atmos and HDR everything working.

I am still looking for UHD Bluray authoring software because most of the UHD movies won't fit to 50GB discs.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by terop View Post
    I used ImgBurn 2.5.8.0 to burn Alien Covenant UHD Bluray from decrypted files with success. Movie fit to BD-RE 50GB disc.

Options I used:
    Write files/folders to disc
    Select BDMV CERTIFICATE directories to source.

From Options tab select UDF Revision 2.60
    Labels tab I fill Volume Label in UDF field.

It took almost 5 hours to burn with verify.
    My burner is 10 years old LG GGW-H20W and i used sony BD-RE 50GB 1-2X disc.

Disc tested with
    SAMSUNG UBD-K8500
    OPPO UDP-203

Disc worked fine in both players. Menus, Dolby atmos and HDR everything working.

I am still looking for UHD Bluray authoring software because most of the UHD movies won't fit to 50GB discs.
    did you see this - https://www.dvdfab.cn/uhd-copy.htm
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like a great break through for us movie fans that still like back ups, But it says on their web site it is for unprotected disks, so first we need a sure way to remove the copy protection, But so far it sounds like the disks don't contain cinavia which is a great plus.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tarzan54 View Post
    Sounds like a great break through for us movie fans that still like back ups, But it says on their web site it is for unprotected disks, so first we need a sure way to remove the copy protection, But so far it sounds like the disks don't contain cinavia which is a great plus.
    already a tool available - http://www.myce.com/news/russian-com...ken-try-82592/
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Originally Posted by tarzan54 View Post
    already a tool available - http://www.myce.com/news/russian-com...ken-try-82592/
    I saw that before but I mention a sure way because I haven't tried it yet since the trail doesn't allow you to do a complete movie, If it did allow you to do a complete movie so you can verify the software then fine, Also I think it is a little expensive.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TsMuxer has been modified to allow burning of UHD BluRay. I knew somebody would do it! That somebody is JDOBBS

Google TSM2UHD

Eugene
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @Eugene157, Burning is NOT Authoring!
    ImgBurn and plenty others can burn a (non-pressed, un-encrypted) UHDBD and have able to for a while. The physical basics of burned uhd is not really different from existing hd bd, UDF 2.60 being the prime element.

Tsmuxer is a basic BD authoring-lite app, and tsm2uhd allow uhd visual material to be shoehorned into it (the tsmuxer-built title) and treated as a "mini-Uhd".

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It was not possible before to burn your own UHD BR discs. All I could do was burn and read as a file only.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It was not possible before to burn your own UHD BR discs. All I could do was burn and read as a file only.
    It still isn't possible to "burn your own UHD Blu-ray discs". The spec for burned UHD Blu-ray is still under development. Since there is no formal standard, there is no guarantee that these discs will be playable by every UHD player now, let alone in the future after the spec for burned UHD Blu-ray is released and implemented by the companies making UHD Blu-ray players.

Also, to use tsm2uhd, the video bit rate has to be in the same range as Blu-ray, which has a lower maximum than the figure allowed for UHD-Blu-ray. These tsm2uhd discs are, at best, a sort of unofficial AVCHD-equivalent for UHD Blu-ray.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    These tsm2uhd discs are, at best, a sort of unofficial AVCHD-equivalent for UHD Blu-ray.

Well said!

And that is better than what we had before, namely...... nothing.

And it can only improve from here.

True as far as bit rate, but my UHD HEVC videos at 50 Mb still looks stunning. In fact I see no significant improvement from 35Mb to 50Mb and No visible difference beyond that. The AX100 maxes out at 100Mb 4K XAVCS

Eugene

To some people a glass is half empty, to others it is half full.
    Last edited by Eugene157; 19th Jan 2018 at 16:14.
    Quote Quote