VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Eugene157 View Post
    These tsm2uhd discs are, at best, a sort of unofficial AVCHD-equivalent for UHD Blu-ray.

Well said!

And that is better than what we had before, namely...... nothing.
    No, it is not really better. You are in the same boat as you were with media files burned as data, namely playback is not guaranteed across all models because there is no official requirement for it. ...and tsm2uhd-authored discs will only be guaranteed to be universally playable in the future if they happen to meet the standard for burned UHD Blu-ray. Otherwise, there is a possibility that tsm2uhd-authored discs which play now on current models may be rejected by new players designed to play burned UHD Blu-ray discs.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Jan 2018 at 17:23. Reason: clarity
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    UHD CREATOR is an other step, with chapters and multi title, but no menu yet. Meets UHD playback standard. Converts 8bit 4K standard video material to 10bit. Creates proper BDMV and CERTIFICATE files for UHD BR playback.

Eugene
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    UHD CREATOR is an other step, with chapters and multi title, but no menu yet. Meets UHD playback standard. Converts 8bit 4K standard video material to 10bit. Creates proper BDMV and CERTIFICATE files for UHD BR playback.

Eugene
    If you are going to plug this software at least get the name right. It's "DVDFab UHD Creator". The only advantage it has over tsm2uhd is convenience. Instead of expecting the user to know how to convert files, DVDFab UHD Creator automates file conversion. Due to it's inability to create menus, I suspect it uses the same tricks that tsm2uhd uses, and depends on the willingness of the player to play what are essentially off-spec burned Blu-ray discs.

Some of the claims for this program are marketing hype. Without the availability of a spec for UHD Blu-ray authoring for burned media, it can't be true consumer UHD Blu-ray authoring software. ...and like tsm2uhd, there is still no guarantee that the discs it creates today are going to work on players released after the spec for burned UHD media is available.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I must have burned UHD BR disks and they are playing fine in Australia, Germany, Silicon Valley and my next door neighbor. UHD CREATOR simply works!! And unfortunately it is , at this time the only way to burn video to UHD BR disks. That makes it a lot better than nothing!

BTW I detect a subtle dislike of UHD burning software.

Progress

Eugene

One of my UHD BRs is playing in Japan!!
    Last edited by Eugene157; 28th Apr 2018 at 14:10.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I must have burned at least 30 UHD BR disks and they are playing fine in Australia, Germany, Silicon Valley and my next door neighbor. UHD CREATOR simply works!! And unfortunately it is , at this time the only way to burn video to UHD BR disks. That makes it a lot better than nothing!

Progress

Eugene

One of my UHD BRs is playing in Japan!!
    As I've written before, burning is not the same thing as authoring. ...and using non-certified, unlicensed reverse-engineered faux UHD Blu-ray authoring software from FengTao still provides you with no guarantee that the discs it makes will work on other or future players All you can claim is that it works now on the players that have been used to play it. I don't know how that qualifies as real progress towards decent consumer authoring software.

The official spec for UHD Blu-ray on burned media has not been completed (and neither jdobbs nor FengTao are likely to be approved for access to the official spec when it is released), nor do they have burned samples produced by licensed software to work with. This means that there is a possibility that the reverse engineering they have done could be invalidated by the spec.

Plus, neither tsm2uhd or DVDFab UHD Creator will ever be certified or licensed. jdobbs can't pay for it, and DVDFab UHD Creator will never qualify because FengTao makes decryption software, which would be in conflict with BDA licensing.

Based on the statements released by Cyberlink, they believe that obtaining certification and licensing will ensure that the UHD Blu-ray discs created by their software meet the official specs for the format on burned media, and ensure that BDA-licensed UHD Blu-ray players will play the discs their software creates now and in the future. To me at least, that seems like a laudable goal.

LOL I make extensive use software that can burn HD video files (not converted or authored) to BD-R, ImgBurn. Sometimes I use a Blu-ray player's built in media player to play them as files. If I ever have the same opportunity for UHD, content I might be interested in burning that to disc as well, although I probably won't convert or author it.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 28th Apr 2018 at 13:51.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For FOUR YEARS, since I have a 4K camcorder, I have googled "burning 4K UHD to BR" and had zero results until the last few month. The reason I mentioned UHD CREATOR in my earlier post is to make others aware that there is a way to do that, and it works. Googling "UHD CREATOR" will provide all needed information. By the way, did I say authoring?

And if Cyberlink or anybody else comes up with a better way , I will use that.

Just as TsMuxer filled a need , so does UHD CREATOR.

No need to get all fired up, these are just milestones on the way of progress. And at some point casualties.

Eugene
    Last edited by Eugene157; 28th Apr 2018 at 15:33.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    By the way, did I say authoring?
    No, but DVDFab makes that claim on its website: "As a consumer level 4K UHD authoring tool, DVDFab UHD Creator allows individual users to produce studio level high quality 4K Ultra HD Blu-rays for home purpose." Press releases call it the first of its kind.

All of the above seems like marketing hype to me, and I think that tsm2uhd was available before DVDFab UHD Creator.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You did say authoring when you started talking about “chapters”, “multi-titles”, “menus”, and “UHD BR standard”. That extended feature set, and universal compatibility, is what distinguishes authored media from plain media files in a file system. Notice both those apps may promise some of the features but - and this is what you seem to want to keep ignoring - they cannot guarantee the compatibility.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Hey all - great info here..just a bump to see if there's been any update for an affordable UHD Authoring solution that allows for Title/Menu creation as well?

Any information appreciated.

regards
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by brandonx76 View Post
    Hey all - great info here..just a bump to see if there's been any update for an affordable UHD Authoring solution that allows for Title/Menu creation as well?

Any information appreciated.

regards
    There is still no consumer UHD Blu-ray authoring software available which has been licensed and certified by the BDA (Blu-ray Disc Association) and no unlicensed pseudo-authoring software with the features that you want.

In 2017 Cyberlink stated that when the BDA finalizes its spec for UHD-Blu-ray on burned media they would consider adding real UHD Blu-ray authoring to PowerDirector. PowerDirector 17 was released on Sep 19, 2018, without a UHD Blu-ray authoring feature. Maybe Cyberlink will add UHD Blu-ray authoring to PowerDirector in 2019 or maybe they won't. There has been no official announcement on this subject yet.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks alot U/Q - -

Are there any Blu Ray burners that would theoretically burn a UHD disc to a potential future standard (w/Titles)?

And, I guess it's safe to assume the DVD Fab UHD product is limited, but I'm not sure what it cannot do (I assume Title/Menus?).

regards,
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks alot U/Q - -

Are there any Blu Ray burners that would theoretically burn a UHD disc to a potential future standard (w/Titles)?

And, I guess it's safe to assume the DVD Fab UHD product is limited, but I'm not sure what it cannot do (I assume Title/Menus?).

regards,
    dvdfab will burn UHD discs but the drive must be a certain model with certain firmware installed
    and the firmware mustn't be updated. see this here - https://www.dvdfab.cn/4k-uhd-drives.htm
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks alot U/Q - -

There are internal burners available from LG and Pioneer which burn BD-R XL media, which is probably what would be used for 2 hours worth of video. Internal desktop models are Pioneer BDR-2209, Pioneer BDR-211UBK, LG BH16NS40, and LG WH16NS60. There are a few external USB models too, but those are generally less durable and less reliable for burning.

If you want to play commercial UHD Blu-ray using PowerDVD 17 Ultra or PowerDVD 18 Ultra, then you want the Pioneer BDR-211UBK or LG WH16NS60. However, the other system requirements for commercial UHD Blu-ray playback using PowerDVD are not easily met at present. You need Kaby Lake or Coffee Lake CPU. (AMD is not an option.) Plus, you need a compatible motherboard with HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort 1.2 and a BIOS which allows SGX to be turned on directly. Motherboards with all the required features are not easy to find and not inexpensive.

regards,
    I don't have it so I can't say for sure, but I can tell you that the instructions on their website only show using the menuless option and don't mention chapter creation.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 2nd Jan 2019 at 15:23. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    dvdfab will burn UHD discs but the drive must be a certain model with certain firmware installed
    and the firmware mustn't be updated. see this here - https://www.dvdfab.cn/4k-uhd-drives.htm
    Those particular drive models are needed for UHD Blu-ray ripping. I don't think they would be needed for UHD Blu-ray burning of home movies or previously ripped materials "authored" with UHD Creator.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just did a quick web search and looks like as of right now, only Scenarist, Indigo, and BluDiscStudio/Kite have UHD BD authoring. Going for as little as ~$10K!!!
    It's been ~2 1/2 years since the uhdbd authoring question first popped up. Not surprised little has changed since then.

My rec: if you have your own 4k material, don't waste time converting/modifying it, just stream it or burn to data disc or other local storage (USB,etc). And use players that support 4k media on other things beyond UHD BD.
    If you don't have your own 4k material, the question is moot (and probably piratical).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A side note to burning authored UHD Blu-ray to BD-XL should the need arise. There is a thread regarding playback on UHD Blu-ray players. The gist is that some existing UHD Blu-ray players (not all) can play UHD material burned to BD-XL media, however, they generally can't read more than 2 layers worth, about 60 GB. Also, Verbatim BD-XL is the most reliable of the media tested so far.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have burned quite a bit of my 4K camcorder material to UHD BR using the DVDFAB UHD CREATOR. As long as 25/50 GB BR blanks and your own 4K videos are used I believe that any BR burner will do. I create a ISO and burn with IMGBURN or similar.
    Wish they would add the ability to have a menu although more than one title can be burned at a time.
    So far worked on all UHD player tried.
    You may have to get a 10bit GPU or it will take forever, not burned a single coaster yet. I use only 25/50 blanks.

Good luck
    Eugene

Last edited by Eugene157; 7th Jan 2019 at 17:01.
    Quote Quote