VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone

I'm looking for a video editing software for a complete beginner, with absolutely no knowledge, and was deliberating between those two. I have previously used a free editor called Avidmux, however, it constatntly crashed and gave error messages (free...).

OS - Windows 7 64-bit.

So, what do you think? Which one is preferred?

TIA
    Quote Quote  
  2. I used Vegas Movie Studio and was very happy with it. It is very nice for a beginner imho
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    take a look at Corel Video Studio.Thru the years I've used Magix, Sony, Adobe and Corel. Corel IMO is still the best bang for your buck
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a big fan of Premiere Pro --
    but would vote for Movie Studio over Elements in a heartbeat.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    I'm a big fan of Premiere Pro --
    Care to elaborate please?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ditto for Corel Videostudio Pro X10. Low priced $79.99, easy to use and a good forum for help at:
    http://forum.corel.com/EN/viewforum.php?f=1
    Fast learning curve compared to Vegas with no storyboard.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by rfe777 View Post
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    I'm a big fan of Premiere Pro --
    Care to elaborate please?
    Sure. Sensible, professional layout -- not dependent on helper "toys," though there is plenty of help if you want it. Along the same line, the screen real estate is devoted to getting the job done rather than looking fun. But most importantly, Movie Studio makes excellent use of system resources, so it is more responsive and better able to handle complex tasks and timelines than any of the others I've used. Corel is excellent (I haven't used the latest version) and as I said previously I like Premiere Pro a lot, but I've been impressed (and re-impressed) with Movie Studio from the beginning.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with smrpix, but make that (currently Magix Vegas) Movie Studio Platinum (14). The basic Movie Studio is too restricted. See the comparison table. http://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/vegas-movie-studio/product-comparison/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The layering tools are omitted from the Vegas Studio line, compared to Pro version. You wont be able to composite the multiple timelines.
    Last edited by budwzr; 5th Dec 2017 at 19:19.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How would Cyberlynk powerproducer or magix movie edit pro rank with them??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smartel View Post
    How would Cyberlynk powerproducer or magix movie edit pro rank with them??
    The Vegas products are way more pro.

There's no better editor than Vegas Pro if you like to roll your own material and custom work.
    Last edited by budwzr; 5th Dec 2017 at 19:34.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Back when the OS was Windows XP and all we had was Standard Definition audio/video, I tested a lot of editors and chose Adobe Premiere 6.0 (then 6.5) and never regretted it.

Years later when I had a bunch of Standard 8mm and 16mm home movie film transferred to High Definition, the old Premiere 6.5 on Windows XP was no longer up to the task. I moved onto Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and needed to find the "best editor for the money" that could handle HD. It ultimately came down to Adobe Premiere Elements and Vegas Movie Studio (back when version 11 was the latest). I had no need for the Pro versions.

I really thought I'd prefer the Premiere Elements editor since I was proficient with Premiere 6.5 however so much had changed over the years that Elements was like starting over. I gave both editors a try with the same footage using their trial versions and Movie Studio was better in every respect. I can no longer remember the specifics as it's been 5 years since I did the analysis. Now running Movie Studio 14 Platinum.

I would suggest you start by watching lots of Elements and Movie Studio tutorials (YouTube).

Tip: Sign up for their product notifications and you may get additional saving offers on their software after about a week. Also, Movie Studio allows you to have the software installed on 2 different machines (one in use at a time). Elements may as well, but I can't say for sure.

creakndale
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by creakndale View Post
    Movie Studio allows you to have the software installed on 2 different machines (one in use at a time). Elements may as well, but I can't say for sure.]-creakndale
    Current MAGIX VEGAS and Movie Studio versions (14.0 and later) can be used simultaneously on 2 devices.
    Quote Quote