VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have 2 videos, what I basically want to do is:
    Cut and delete the first 3 min of the first video
    Cut and delete the last 5 min of the last video.
    Join the 2 files together.
    If my memory serves, Windows Movie Maker was really good at doing that without re-encoding the entire video (unless I am mistaken) but I can't figure out how to get it. I have windows 10.
    In any event, i am not stuck on Windows movie maker, i am open to any suggestions of a program that can do this quickly easily, without re-encoding the entire video. These are 1080p videos at 60 FPS with absolutely amazing quality (no pixilation/blocking whatsoever, each 15 min is like 3 GB) so even on my i7 it takes 2-3 hours to re-encode each 15 min video, hence why I want to do it with little/no re-encoding whatsoever.
    Thanks in advance for suggestions
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you still want to try Windows Movie Maker you can just click on the link.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by ShadowWizard View Post
    I have 2 videos, what I basically want to do is:
    If my memory serves, Windows Movie Maker was really good at doing that without re-encoding the entire video (unless I am mistaken) but I can't figure out how to get it. I have windows 10.
    In any event, i am not stuck on Windows movie maker, i am open to any suggestions of a program that can do this quickly easily, without re-encoding the entire video. These are 1080p videos at 60 FPS with absolutely amazing quality (no pixilation/blocking whatsoever, each 15 min is like 3 GB) so even on my i7 it takes 2-3 hours to re-encode each 15 min video, hence why I want to do it with little/no re-encoding whatsoever.
    Try Avidemux.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ShadowWizard View Post
    I have 2 videos, what I basically want to do is:
    You are looking for an editor that doesn't encode or that can do smart encoding (only a few frames adjacent to the cuts are re-encoded). As I recall, Windows Movie Maker re-encodes the whole file, saving a WMV file on the computer regardless of the kind of video file it is editing, but go ahead and try it to see what happens.

It is hard to know what editor to suggest without knowing more about the video to be edited. Most video editors cannot work for all types of video files. Also, if the video clips to be joined don't have very similar properties, they cannot be joined together without re-encoding one or both of them.

Posting a MediaInfo report for each of the two files would help. Install MediaInfo from the appropriate link at VideoHelp. Run MediaInfo. Drag the video file to the program window. Click "View" in the menu bar, then "Text" from the drop down list. Cut and paste the resulting report.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. Seems as though Avidemux is trying to re-encode the video, unless I am using it wrong. Is there a tutorial on it somewhere?
    -edit-
    I seem to have figured it out, and it seems to be working well.
    Thanks!

As far as a Mediainfo report, I will post one at the bottom if you really want it, but the 2 videos are taken from the same camera with the same settings. Everything should be identical. Thus attached is only 2 sample files I may wish to join. Since there are many, MANY different setting in mediainfo, and I don't know what "report" you want, I will have to take a guess, I hope I have provided enough info.

File 1
    Complete name : D:\My Documents\My Pictures\Diving\Aug 11 2016 diving\20160811_185547A.mp4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media
    Codec ID : isom (isom/iso2/mp41)
    File size : 3.29 GiB
    Duration : 15 min 0 s
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 31.4 Mb/s

File 2
    Complete name : D:\My Documents\My Pictures\Diving\Aug 11 2016 diving\20160811_191047A.mp4
    Last edited by ShadowWizard; 8th Jul 2017 at 12:17.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try Corel's VideoStudio Pro X10. Easy to use, powerful and low priced ($79.99.) A good forum for beginners at: http://phpbb.ulead.com.tw/EN/viewforum.php?f=1
    Much better than anything thing free and Movie Maker.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ShadowWizard View Post
    Seems as though Avidemux is trying to re-encode the video, unless I am using it wrong. Is there a tutorial on it somewhere?
    -edit-
    I seem to have figured it out, and it seems to be working well.
    Thanks!

As far as a Mediainfo report, I will post one at the bottom if you really want it, but the 2 videos are taken from the same camera with the same settings. Everything should be identical. Thus attached is only 2 sample files I may wish to join. Since there are many, MANY different setting in mediainfo, and I don't know what "report" you want, I will have to take a guess, I hope I have provided enough info.

File 1
    Complete name : D:\My Documents\My Pictures\Diving\Aug 11 2016 diving\20160811_185547A.mp4

File 2
    Complete name : D:\My Documents\My Pictures\Diving\Aug 11 2016 diving\20160811_191047A.mp4
    "Click "View" in the menu bar, then "Text" from the drop down list. Cut and paste the resulting report." seemed clear enough to me, but I guess it wasn't. Never mind, your report has enough information to work with.

Maybe Avidemux is good enough for you, but for an editor to cut and join without re-encoding, it must cut on I-frames, which for AVC/H.264 may be spaced many frames apart.

An editor which does smart-rendering/smart encoding allows cutting on any frame, and only re-encodes incomplete GOPs adjacent to the cut points. Both Corel VideoStudio Pro and TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer can edit and smart-render AVC/H.264.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    If you still want to try Windows Movie Maker you can just click on the link.
    I think this is actually the easiest way for beginners. Corel's VideoStudio Pro would do the same job but you will need to pay for it and i think it's too much.
    Quote Quote