VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have downloaded few movies which are large at size (full hd) 20+GB, but I was forced to recode them to lower bitrate to be able to stream properly over my network I was able to figure out my TV can play a video fluently @ 25 Mbps tops only and TBH that doesn't sound like a very low bitrate for 4k video , unfortunately however when i encoded part of the video with xmedia recode on up to 20 Mbps (2-pass) the result was, well, bad

I am sure i read while back here on the forums that even 2 pass encoding cant guarantee the quality at that rate, compare a native video at 20Mbps say with another recoded there WILL be difference, my question is how to get around this knowing that the maximum bitrate my tv can play remotely is 25~ Mbps but i also want it to be in a good quality, i know that because i downloaded few movies on that quality and it looked superb, so i want to replicate such results, any guidance would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
    Quote Quote  
  2. 2pass usually targets an average bitrate. But an average does not guarantee the absence of spikes exceeding TV decoder or wifi limits. Instead you would limit via vbv maxrate. Then you can even use single pass crf encoding safely (assuming x264 or x265)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Instead you would limit via vbv maxrate. Then you can even use single pass crf encoding safely (assuming x264 or x265)
    How to do that in xmedia recode or any other encoding tool you really recommend for professional use ?...
    Quote Quote  
  4. In Xmedia set "Rate control mode" to "Quality". Then in "Rate control" you can set "VBV Maximum Bitrate" and "VBV Buffer Size". "VBV Maximum Bitrate" is your wifi speed/TV decoder performance (whatever is lower).

Note: I don't know if that's the cause of your issues. Just going by what you have told me which isn't much. I don't know about formats, TV model, etc.
    Quote Quote