VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all, So just came back from Florida with my family and before I went I invested in a GoPro to take with me as this holiday is probably going to be the last for while.
    We done pretty much everything or as much as a tourist can do within 2 weeks so I had my GoPro on me for most of the time. This leads me to my question... I have around 160 gb of videos, and want to make them into a family movie, something I have never done before.
    So i started using GoPro Studios... Which 1 keeps crashing and 2 is eating my hard drive so much i'm going to run out of space by the end of it. I would of liked it to be around 90 minutes but at this rate I've got no hope because each video converted is HUGE. Is there any tips to help me out here? Maybe different software?

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Can you do this project in less than 30 days?

Download Premiere Pro. Drag all your footage into it. Create proxy versions of your material. (There are numerous good tutorials on how to do this by Adobe and others.)

Edit the proxy version of the footage, which is both smaller than the original and more nimble to edit with.

When you are finished, link back to the original material and output. (Premiere is smart enough to output from the original even if you forget to tell it to.)

If this takes more than 30 days (free trial) you can license Premiere for $20/month until your project is completed.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Welcome to the world of video and big files! The most sensible thing to do first is get some more storage space, the easiest way is to invest in one, preferably two, USB hard drives like the Seagate Backup ones, then you can copy your GoPro footage to one and edit to the other. That will leave your internal hard drive free for other things and prevent out of space crashes, because you will produce a lot of files while editing.

Look for a free editor like Kdenlive or Shotcut, both of which have a stabiliser function for any shaky footage you have. Then there is no shortcut, you have to learn to use one of them. There is a user manual and lots of tutorials for Kdenlive, several tutorials for Shotcut. It will be worth it, after all, you're going to want to use your GoPro again, aren't you?

Good luck and enjoy.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Try ProCoder3. You will love it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. GoPro Studio converts everything to Cineform intermediates which are MUCH larger than the original GoPro files. You should edit with these files, but then when you are finally ready to save the result, render your result to some form of H.264. Don't worry about the size, and if needed, just get a big hard drive to store these temporary files.
    Quote Quote