VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I asked this question many months ago.

I have a PC I built myself, that I suppose is fairly high end.
    PROBLEM: It wont play a factory 4K movie disk. (They are starting to become common. The John Wick 1 & John Wick 2 are both 4K disks)

I called the maker of my Blu-Ray disk player - LG - good, helpful guys and gals. These techs told me that there isn't a software to support 4K Blu-rays. But, they said their LG engineers were working on it.

Here is what I understood:
    [B]#1 What is needed is the "Special 4K software" to support my PC's LG Blu-Ray disk player. I do not need to purchase a new player.

#2 I must have a completely new Motherboard to support 4K disks.

BUT - these two items were in development and not available. Have there been any new developments?

Here is my PC:
    OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 Professional 64 bit

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO

PROCESSOR: INTEL Core i7 4770 Haswell Quad-Core

INTERNAL MEMORY: 16 gig DDR3 Maximum Bandwidth: 1333MHZ Type: XMP 1.2

HARD-DRIVE: SAMSUNG 850 PRO MZ-7KE512BW 2.5" 512GB SATA III Solid State Drive (SSD)

VIDEO CARD: GIGABYTE Geoforce GTX1070 G1 Gaming

POWER SUPPLY: OCZ ZX 850 Watt

BLU-RAY PLAYER / BURNER: LG Model: LG BH14NS40 14X SATA Blu-ray BDXL

MONITOR: SAMSUNG Black 28" 4K UHD Widescreen LCD/LED 4K 3840 x 2160 (UHD) Refresh Rate: 60 HZ Pixel Pitch: 0.16mm x 0.16mm Display Colors: 1 billlion

Thank you one and all.
    andy
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Apparently, Power DVD 17 Ultra now support UHD (with the correct infrastructure)

https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd-ultra/spec_en_GB.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @andy jackson: Requirements for playing UHD Blu-ray on a PC have not changed since the last time you asked in 2017.

You still need a UHD Bl-ray drive. A regular Blu-ray drive like the LG BH14NS40 14X SATA Blu-ray BDXL won't work because it does not support AACS 2.0. Special software won't help.

You still need Cyberlink PowerDVD 17 Ultra software to play UHD Blu-ray on a PC. There is no other software able to play commercial UHD Blu-ray discs.

Cyberlink PowerDVD 17 Ultra hardware requirements still say users need a UHD Blu-ray drive, a desktop Kaby Lake i5 or i7, plus one of the few 100 series or 200 series motherboards with both SGX support and on-board HDMI 2.0 (with HDCP 2.2) for UHD Blu-ray playback.

Cyberlink PowerDVD 17 Ultra does not allow video cards from NVIDIA or AMD to be used for playing UHD Blu-ray discs. Also, external DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 active adapters can't be used to add HDMI 2.0 to a Kaby Lake motherboard that doesn't include HDMI 2.0 because DisplayPort 1.2 doesn't provide HDCP 2.2.

Only 4 genuine UHD blu-ray rips have been released to date and there is no ripping software available yet.

[Edit]I almost forgot... Windows 10 is another system requirement for UHD Blu-ray playback with PowerDVD 17 Ultra.

[Edit 2]There is a list of motherboards with HDMI 2.0 and SGX maintained by a member of blu-ray.com's forum. See: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=13271422&postcount=108
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Jun 2017 at 12:45.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, usually_quiet.
    You sum it up with nice precision.
    Thank you very much.

Now I know what I must do.

All the best.
    andy
    Quote Quote