VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello guys

I have ''issue'' chasing the media device that playback MKV (Ultra HD ) and TrueHd and DTS-HD as audio.

Recently i bought new TV ( Tesla 55S356SF ) and A/V receiver Pioneer VSX 824 K that is capable Ultra HD and 5.2 Dolby True HD. TV set can play from USB the MKV files that are 1080p full hd and audio AC-3 (which is transmitted the SPDIF as lossy audio). The SPDIF is connected via optical to A/V and sounds good but i want the ultimate experience as A/V allows.

So i started researching what would stream Ultra HD video ( TV is full hd but i want to replace it in few years) and DTS-HD/TRUE HD and then i get video to TV and best output to speakers. Now, i may choose several choices (btw HDMI 2.0 is needed to ultra hd ) :

- My custom PC that used for home cinema but i do not know requirements that i need. My only know that i need HDMI 2.0
    - PS4/XBOX One .. i started researching for that option but then it seems that is very limited support for MKV( i could wrong)
    - Mobile phone using MHL or tablet, i do not know where to find the one that allows me to do it ... maybe you could know some.
    - Some external media center (br player and some sort) i do not know off.... I heard of zappiti, i dont know which model allows Ultra HD ( that support bitrate and so on)
    - You have other solution ?

I need cheapest but quality solution that i can rely on..... This is bugging me for days and you guys know better. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You basically need an external player that will connect to the AVR via HDMI. Your current limitation is the TV or trying to connect directly to the TV and outputting the audio to the AVR. You need to connect the player directly to the AVR.

Any current Blu-Ray player with media playback support should be able to play the files and stream the audio out to the AVR. If you want a quality player with UHD support, take a look at this: https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/blu-ray-udp-203-Features.aspx

You could also play on the PC and output through the AVR. Or you could also use a standalone player such as Roku, Amazon Fire TV, nVidia Shield, etc. and stream from the PC or a NAS using Plex.

And likely several other options that I've forgotten.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter View Post
    You basically need an external player that will connect to the AVR via HDMI. Your current limitation is the TV or trying to connect directly to the TV and outputting the audio to the AVR. You need to connect the player directly to the AVR.

Any current Blu-Ray player with media playback support should be able to play the files and stream the audio out to the AVR. If you want a quality player with UHD support, take a look at this: https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/blu-ray-udp-203-Features.aspx

You could also play on the PC and output through the AVR. Or you could also use a standalone player such as Roku, Amazon Fire TV, nVidia Shield, etc. and stream from the PC or a NAS using Plex.

And likely several other options that I've forgotten.
    Ye, exactly. I need to connect to AVR with HDMI to stream 4k/truehd but i do not know source stream... In other words, chose the source stream.

What you are saying that any classic blu ray player we allow me this ? I do need to invest to Ultra HD since i do not own Ultra HD tv but i need to invest in audio aspect. I thought blu ray players are specially for blu ray. It seems logical knowing the fact the MKV file ripps blu ray discs and they would not allowed do stream it from BLU RAY player

I look at my local internet shop and i found this :

https://www.tehnomanija.rs/dvd-blu-ray-uredjaji/panasonic-3d-blu-ray-plejer-dmp-bdt166eg.html

It says that it support MKV and audio profiles that are Dolby Digital / TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio / High Resolution Audio DTS-HD ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have one of these - very happy with it. Plays just about every format including H265.

https://www.cloudmedia.com/?product=a-500

Sigma Designs SMP8758 Dual Code Cortex A9 processor is able to support
    10-bit HEVC video decoding up to 2160p @ 30 fps (4K)
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure what you are asking now.

Most current Blu-Ray players support DVD, Blu-Ray, and offer media playback support. As well as all of the other methods that I noted above.

The underlying issue here is that you don't need a player that can play any audio format. The AVR handles the decoding and processing of the audio stream, so you need an AVR that supports the formats you intend to use. And most all formats currently in use are derived from the DVD and Blu-Ray specs. In any case, all the media player needs to do is read the data and pass the audio stream onto the AVR (directly, not through another device).
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know your hardware specs, but did you try playback from usb (plugged into your tv), and connect your AVR via HDMI to the ARC (audioreturn channel) HDMI connections of both AVR and TV? (assuming they both support it)
    Quote Quote