VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I used a usb capture stick and PowerDirector 9 to record video from an LCD TV. In PowerDirector, the settings for recording are: mpeg2 and "DVDHQ" profile. The recordings produced by PowerDirector are MPEG files, with MPEG2 video. The MPEG files have these properties: 720x576 px, 25 fps, interlaced.

All the MPEG files produced by PowerDirector from this capture stick, contain a vertical black bar on the left which has a width of 8 or 9 pixels, and a vertical black bar on the right which has a width of 8 or 9 pixels.

These black bars do not appear on the TV screen. This means that either the capture stick adds them, or PowerDirector adds them.

I already have a solution, I just add "crop(8, 0, -8, 0)" to the AviSynth script, but my question is: why are these black bars added?
    Last edited by codemaster; 22nd Jun 2017 at 22:33.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The bars are normal. With a standard ITU SD PAL 720x576 video capture the picture is contained in a ~702x576 frame. The capture device captures 720 pixels wide in case the picture/cap is off-center. So you end up with black bars at the left and/or right edges. You don't see the black bars on TV because the TV overscans the picture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan
    Quote Quote