VideoHelp Forum


Try StreamFab All-in-One and rip streaming video! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 27 of 27
Thread
  1. Hi guys, in my experience about video edition, I realized that VirtualDub FilterMod is much better than the common VirtualDub.
    It has more compatible to accept differents containers, and save it, by using the option DIRECT STREAM COPY to save a output file
    (Without errors like: "The Currently selected output plugin cannot be used in direct stream copy mode").
    I would like to know, if you guys have the same thought about my opinion,
    and if I'm mistaken, please correct me.
    Anyway, thanks for your time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Of course a program that builds upon the success of an earlier one is going to be 'better'.

    The original VD has been around since the early 2000's. At that time there were not that many movie containers. And it came as a breath of fresh air so not to rely on expensive commercial NLE's.

    But what you should not forget is the sterling work of VD's creator. As without that you would not have your 'better' program today.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I haven't installed it and am perfectly happy with VDub.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Central Germany
    Search PM
    Everyone who doesn't need more than VirtualDub can keep using it with joy.

    The others who need more than that will enjoy VirtualDub FilterMod even more. So many new features! So many enhanced features! And so busy development! A great companion for AviSynth+ and VapourSynth developers.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Search PM
    Why does VirtualDub FilterMod snap at me when I try to direct-stream-copy from an AVC/MP4 file to another MP4 file?
    "The source video stream uses a compression algorithm which is not compatible with AVI files. Direct stream copy cannot be used with this video stream."
    Same thing with Fast Recompress. Normal Recompress and Full Processing both give "Internal error (FFMPEG): Invalid argument." Not so very great.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Central Germany
    Search PM
    Report it to the developers. How else can it be fixed?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Of course a program that builds upon the success of an earlier one is going to be 'better'.

    The original VD has been around since the early 2000's. At that time there were not that many movie containers. And it came as a breath of fresh air so not to rely on expensive commercial NLE's.

    But what you should not forget is the sterling work of VD's creator. As without that you would not have your 'better' program today.

    I see your point, look, I'm not saying the original VD is a crap or something like that.
    All I'm trying to said it's, the VD FilterMod has better options to save output files and to receive much more containers with compatible.
    And just to be clear, the Ogirinal VB has plugins to accepts others Codecs and Containers, it allow save output files in HEVC MKV for an example, and accepts the
    same mkv extension has input to edit, without this Plugins it wouldn't be possible.
    However, the Ogirinal VB (even with the Pluins) just can't use the DIRECT STREAM COPY with containers like AVC or HEVC, apresent errors like I already mention it.
    I'm not trying to underestimate work of VD's creator, on the contrary. I perfectly know
    without his work, the VD FilterMod wouldn't be exist.
    Anyway, thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it.
    All the best.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    I haven't installed it and am perfectly happy with VDub.
    I see, but do you have the plugins installed?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    Everyone who doesn't need more than VirtualDub can keep using it with joy.

    The others who need more than that will enjoy VirtualDub FilterMod even more. So many new features! So many enhanced features! And so busy development! A great companion for AviSynth+ and VapourSynth developers.
    You alright! I totally agree with your opinion!
    Thanks for your reply, it was very enlightening.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by ResetMaster View Post
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    I haven't installed it and am perfectly happy with VDub.
    I see, but do you have the plugins installed?
    What plugins? I use AviSynth scripts and except for encoding intermediate lossless AVIs through VDub, I use different encoders. I use VDub for a lot, just not whatever you find VDub FilterMod necessary for.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by ResetMaster View Post
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    I haven't installed it and am perfectly happy with VDub.
    I see, but do you have the plugins installed?
    What plugins? I use AviSynth scripts and except for encoding intermediate lossless AVIs through VDub, I use different encoders. I use VDub for a lot, just not whatever you find VDub FilterMod necessary for.
    Plugins to use on VD. You said that "am perfectly happy with VDub".
    So, I asked, if you have the Plugins to possibilite edition of formats and containers,
    as MKV, MP4, HEVC, AVC and others. To edit and save it in the same fomat, without conversion or alteration of the original file.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Central Germany
    Search PM
    The original VirtualDub by Avery Lee was always only meant to be an AVI editor. To no surprise, it has limitations matching those of the AVI container format. Earlier modifications (like VirtualDubMod) enhanced it, but never surpassed them all (e.g. it supports only a compatibility subformat of MKV). And I doubt that plugins for VirtualDub v1.10+ would surpass them as required, it's in the base application.

    If you want to edit any arbitrary format, you will need another tool with less limitations from the roots up. I believe Avidemux should be more this kind of tool than VirtualDub FilterMod; at least in theory.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by ResetMaster View Post
    Plugins to use on VD. You said that "am perfectly happy with VDub".
    So, I asked, if you have the Plugins to possibilite edition of formats and containers,
    as MKV, MP4, HEVC, AVC and others. To edit and save it in the same fomat, without conversion or alteration of the original file.
    I said I use AviSynth. By definition that means reencoding. I have no use for Direct Stream Copy anything. I'm glad VDub FilterMod suits you but I don't need whatever additional features it offers.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by ResetMaster View Post
    Plugins to use on VD. You said that "am perfectly happy with VDub".
    So, I asked, if you have the Plugins to possibilite edition of formats and containers,
    as MKV, MP4, HEVC, AVC and others. To edit and save it in the same fomat, without conversion or alteration of the original file.
    I said I use AviSynth. By definition that means reencoding. I have no use for Direct Stream Copy anything. I'm glad VDub FilterMod suits you but I don't need whatever additional features it offers.
    Ok, so, let me see if I get it that right, You use AviSynth to everything.
    And, VD have no utility for your work, because the features of the AviSynth
    give to you, all need to work properly.
    Look, I know AviSynth is one of the best tools for Video manipulation,
    I also know the AviSynth, isn't a program in the way you may usually think of programs. You don't run an .exe and use some GUI to change settings or anything like that.
    It's all working on Scripts.
    AviSynth become better, when you already have a library with the Scrips or
    if you're related with this kind of work.
    The users, usually say it an excellent tool, but many people, have no idea what it is.
    Because, they're accustomed to use programs like, Vegas Pro or Adobe Premiere.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    The original VirtualDub by Avery Lee was always only meant to be an AVI editor. To no surprise, it has limitations matching those of the AVI container format. Earlier modifications (like VirtualDubMod) enhanced it, but never surpassed them all (e.g. it supports only a compatibility subformat of MKV). And I doubt that plugins for VirtualDub v1.10+ would surpass them as required, it's in the base application.

    If you want to edit any arbitrary format, you will need another tool with less limitations from the roots up. I believe Avidemux should be more this kind of tool than VirtualDub FilterMod; at least in theory.
    I don't think so, VD FilterMod is much better than Avidemux.
    But anyway, thanks for you tip.
    Quote Quote  
  16. vdubFM is better than vdub, even for Avisynth users like me. Here are some features that I like:
    • Save as .MP4, .MOV, .MKV (etc) directly - no external encoders needed.
    • Compression options also accessible from save as dialog
    • More logical placement of decode & encode color format dialogs
    • More high bit depth color formats (vdub has only 10bit 422; vdubFM adds 16bit 422, 16bit RGB(A), etc)
    • Export single image & animated .PNG
    • Timeline - set unlimited "markers" (bookmarks)
    • Preview windows can zoom in and be panned with the mouse
    • View menu, maximize for maximum working area.
    • Tools menu, benchmark analyze pass
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by raffriff42 View Post
    vdubFM is better than vdub, even for Avisynth users like me. Here are some features that I like:
    • Save as .MP4, .MOV, .MKV (etc) directly - no external encoders needed.
    • Compression options also accessible from save as dialog
    • More logical placement of decode & encode color format dialogs
    • More high bit depth color formats (vdub has only 10bit 422; vdubFM adds 16bit 422, 16bit RGB(A), etc)
    • Export single image & animated .PNG
    • Timeline - set unlimited "markers" (bookmarks)
    • Preview windows can zoom in and be panned with the mouse
    • View menu, maximize for maximum working area.
    • Tools menu, benchmark analyze pass
    I totally agree, finally someone got it my point.
    It's exactly because the features that you mentioned,
    that's why, I consider the VD FilterMode better, than conventional VD.
    Thank you very much for your feedback, It was a great tip.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Apparently, two posts were removed. I don't know who reported them (ResetMaster?) or which mod decided to remove the posts. If it comes up again I suggest consulting Baldrick about it. If he did it, then I can only request reconsideration as I see no need to censor this thread. Close it, maybe, for uselessness, but don't censor it. This is what I received:

    ---Quote (Originally by jagabo)---
    You mean someone modified some open source software to make it better? Is this
    the first time such a thing has ever happened? Incredible!

    ResetMaster obviously has some kind of agenda here. What a waste of bandwidth.
    And yeah, I know, I just added to the waste.
    ---End Quote---

    *Well, if you think so, there's nothing I can do, Mr. ironic.
    And if it is a waste, what hell are you doing here, anyway? Seriously pal,
    you obviously, should be bussy with another goddamn bussines,
    please, don't lose your preciuous time writing here.*
    ***************
    Quote Quote  
  19. Marsia Mariner
    Guest
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Apparently, two posts were removed. I don't know who reported them (ResetMaster?) or which mod decided to remove the posts. If it comes up again I suggest consulting Baldrick about it. If he did it, then I can only request reconsideration as I see no need to censor this thread. Close it, maybe, for uselessness, but don't censor it. This is what I received:

    ---Quote (Originally by jagabo)---
    You mean someone modified some open source software to make it better? Is this
    the first time such a thing has ever happened? Incredible!

    ResetMaster obviously has some kind of agenda here. What a waste of bandwidth.
    And yeah, I know, I just added to the waste.
    ---End Quote---

    *Well, if you think so, there's nothing I can do, Mr. ironic.
    And if it is a waste, what hell are you doing here, anyway? Seriously pal,
    you obviously, should be bussy with another goddamn bussines,
    please, don't lose your preciuous time writing here.*
    ***************
    I second that.

    Just a very wild guess now: the word goddämn was considered 'profanity' by someone.
    I had one of my posts erased in a thread in the Off-Topic forum because of the acronym "$.T.F.V."...
    IMNSHO, the entire thread deserved to be buried, but the mods or the admin preferred to lock it.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Marsia Mariner View Post
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Apparently, two posts were removed. I don't know who reported them (ResetMaster?) or which mod decided to remove the posts. If it comes up again I suggest consulting Baldrick about it. If he did it, then I can only request reconsideration as I see no need to censor this thread. Close it, maybe, for uselessness, but don't censor it. This is what I received:

    ---Quote (Originally by jagabo)---
    You mean someone modified some open source software to make it better? Is this
    the first time such a thing has ever happened? Incredible!

    ResetMaster obviously has some kind of agenda here. What a waste of bandwidth.
    And yeah, I know, I just added to the waste.
    ---End Quote---

    *Well, if you think so, there's nothing I can do, Mr. ironic.
    And if it is a waste, what hell are you doing here, anyway? Seriously pal,
    you obviously, should be bussy with another goddamn bussines,
    please, don't lose your preciuous time writing here.*
    ***************
    I second that.

    Just a very wild guess now: the word goddämn was considered 'profanity' by someone.
    I had one of my posts erased in a thread in the Off-Topic forum because of the acronym "$.T.F.V."...
    IMNSHO, the entire thread deserved to be buried, but the mods or the admin preferred to lock it.
    I see, Ms. Mariner, I didn't reported anything about this comment or any other.
    All there I did, was to give a deserved answer to this guy, besides like you said,
    I don't see any reason to my answer be removed.
    If the use of the word "goddamn" was inaproprited, I apologize.
    another thing, when you said, that my thread is uselessness, I have to disagree.
    It's quite the opposite, actually, it was very enlightning.

    Well, I hope all this has been just a unfortunately misunderstanding.
    Yours faithfully, RM
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member DB83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Uselessness, like its opposite usefulness, is subjective.

    The name of this website is VideoHelp. That implies, that someone comes here for help and others write to attempt to solve the issue.

    Your topic does not really fall in to that category. Hence it is useless for 'Help'. Essentially, it is more of an opinion poll.

    jagabo is a long standing member who will go out of his way to assist others. I have very rarely seen him 'lose it' and I do think he was being more sarcastic in his reply than ironic.

    'fraid you took it the wrong way and replied in a somewhat rude manner. I would not be surprised if jagabo himself did report that post and requested its removal and his own.

    And once a topic becomes an argument it can soon spiral out of control. Hence the suggestion that it should be closed to prevent any bad feeling.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Agreed, it is unfortunate that a thread that asked for opinions should go so wrong. The OP asked for opinions -- at least that is how I read it. I offered my opinion with the understanding that others may hold different (but equally valid, for them) opinions. As a wise man man once said, can't we all just get along?
    Quote Quote  
  23. I disagree slightly. He was looking for opinions that agreed with his own already formed opinions. He didn't take kindly to anyone offering a different take on the subject. Part of the problem can be attributed to the language differences, but not all.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    I disagree slightly. He was looking for opinions that agreed with his own already formed opinions. He didn't take kindly to anyone offering a different take on the subject. Part of the problem can be attributed to the language differences, but not all.
    I disagree. If you looked with carefully, in the description of my thread, I wrote: "I would like to know, if you guys have the same thought about my opinion,
    and if I'm mistaken, please correct me"
    Then, no I'm not looking for opinions that agreed with me.
    Another thing, at any moment, I didn't disrespect any different opinions, until the moment I was depreciated.
    Last edited by ResetMaster; 1st Jul 2017 at 19:20.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I'm glad with all respect opinions that I got here,
    even when it disagree with my own opinion.
    However, I won't allow the disrespect on my thread,
    All people deserved respect, but I'm not a fool, If anyone use
    irony or sarcasm (as exactly jagabo did it) I can't just tolarate
    this kind of behavior, how could I, be polite, with a person
    that came here and said such thing. If he didn't like the thread,
    could've just ignored it, or try to say it, in another polite way.


    And the most important thing, that thread was aproved by an Admin or Mod,
    So, it's just perfectly allowed to be here, if wasn't, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Search PM
    You're having quite a hard time letting this go, aren't you?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    You're having quite a hard time letting this go, aren't you?
    No way Mr.Raines , I'm pretty sure, It's done, closed and finished.
    The end of the road. Unless, you got something to mention, of course.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads