VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Mokaikai
    Search Comp PM
    Although I bought my Pioneer DV-270-s some years ago, I have recently started making my own discs from digital and analogue sources. However, when I try to play these on my machine, an error 'No disc' (or similar) appears. Is there anything I can do to have the player play these ??
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    1) It's 13 years old.
    2) Are you "authoring" actual DVDs or just burning files to a disc(drag and drop)?
    https://www.videohelp.com/glossary?A#Author
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can look at the Media Player guide (top of this page) and you'll find that your player should play both DVD+R and DVD-R (i.e., disc you record yourself).

Pioneer DV-270

However, hech54 has nailed it: you have to "author" a DVD so that the video will play on a set-top DVD player, like your Pioneer model. You can tell if a DVD is authored because it will have two, and only two folders: VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS. The AUDIO_TS folder will be empty, but the VIDEO_TS will have a bunch of files with the extension VOB and IFO. If your disc doesn't have these files, then you did not make it using DVD Authoring software, and your video will not play.

Some newer DVD players can play DVDs that simply have MP3 files (for audio) or MP4 files (for video), as well as files of other types. However, I don't think that is true of your model.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 21st Jun 2017 at 10:18. Reason: added link
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mokaikai
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your responses. I have been using Pinnacle Studio (10.5) to edit my videos and then burn them to the dvd which plays OK on my laptop. How do I find how to do 'authoring' ??
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Mokaikai View Post
    Thanks for your responses. I have been using Pinnacle Studio (10.5) to edit my videos and then burn them to the dvd which plays OK on my laptop. How do I find how to do 'authoring' ??
    An "authored" DVD needs to be MPEG2 video(certain size, certain bitrate) and with a few different audio types.....THAT'S IT.
    Unless you first output from Pinnacle as "DVD".....you are wasting your time.
    Last edited by hech54; 29th Jun 2017 at 05:54. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
  6. Please re-read my earlier post: if the disc created with Pinnacle Studio has those two folders, and if the VIDEO_TS folder contains VOB and IFO files, then you have authored the DVD, and the problem lies elsewhere. However, if you don't have those two folders and you don't have VOB and IFO files, then all you did was render to a single video file. This will play on your computer, but it won't play in most DVD players, and certainly not in the one you own.

The good news is the Pinnacle Studio can author a DVD. You just have to select the correct options during the third of the three steps the software provides in its UI.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 4th Jul 2017 at 10:40. Reason: typo ("correction" should have been "correct")
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could be possible that your dvd player Lazer may be dying.
    Does it read store bought pressed disc's ok ??
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mokaikai
    Search Comp PM
    Many thanks for everyone's assistance. It seems that I have been 'rendering' and not creating a DVD as there are no VOB or IFO files. I'll now try to create a DVD as suggested.
    Regards to all !
    Quote Quote