VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have been running Movie Label for several years and it's got too many bugs, and I've outgrown it.
    So now I'm looking to replace it, preferably with a current Open Source free software package. An All-in-one solution if one exists.

I have 2,300 movies and TV shows, and around 5,000 music files to be catalogued. Currently only the movies and TV shows are catalogued.
    There are several sources

Optical - DVD and Blu-ray purchased discs (About 1500)
    Optical - DVD and Blu-ray that I've simply burnt MKV and MP4 files to, such as movies I've recorded with my camcorder (~150)
    Online HDD (~750) - Stuff that I've ripped from original disks or downloaded.

The stuff on my HDD is easy. Pretty much everything will handle that - the challenge is to get the catalogued Optical content into a new program, without having to feed the program one disk at a time.

To put everything online at original quality I'd need over 300 TB. I only have 40 TB.

I want to have this run on my server, and client PCs connect to it and play the content from there. I know I can simply run something like Potplayer/VLC and browse the network. I'm looking for a more modern way of doing it, with movie details, cover art etc. Hence the preference for a software solution.

Ultimately, I'd like to extend the software with Add-ons for viewing TV. I currently do not have a capture card, but something that works over Internet would be preferable.

I've taken a brief look at Kodi and MediaPortal. While some of the features I want are covered, getting the Optical media into the library seems to be the main problem.

Off the top of your head, do you have any thoughts on what software can meet these needs?

thanks
    Tanya
    10940x with Creator X299 Motherboard, 32GB DRR4-3733, RTX 3080 Ti GPU
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like you are wanting two different tools. An inventory app and a browse/play app.

You can't browse/search and play media that isn't online (hence Kodi and most other player type software won't work). And an inventory/catalog tool will only allow you to browse your collection, not play it. But again, you can't play media that isn't online anyway.

Kodi or even Plex will do exactly what you want (minus the catalog for media that isn't online).

Or am I not understanding what you are trying to do?
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. I recommend heading over the the AVS Forum. They have an entire section dedicated to HTPCs and, as active as this forum is, they have at least an order of magnitude more traffic. You'll find a TON of information, including recommendations; plans for DIY projects; comparisons; etc.

AVS Forum Home Theater PC
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 24th Jun 2017 at 16:58. Reason: added link
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter View Post
    Sounds like you are wanting two different tools. An inventory app and a browse/play app.

You can't browse/search and play media that isn't online (hence Kodi and most other player type software won't work). And an inventory/catalog tool will only allow you to browse your collection, not play it. But again, you can't play media that isn't online anyway.

Kodi or even Plex will do exactly what you want (minus the catalog for media that isn't online).

Or am I not understanding what you are trying to do?
    I am currently running Movie Label. It's really old, and the latest version still has all the same bugs as the old version. From this "inventory" program I can play movies that are on my server. Obviously I cannot play offline content. There are a couple of issues with this program. I have 7 PCs and it's only licensed for 3. So I have to buy 3 licenses to cover all PCs. Second, it's extremely slow and full of bugs.

So, I'm looking for something more modern. Something that can not only catalog all the content from my server, but something that can import my database from movie label so I don;t have to load or download every movie's details one at a time.

Then I can have all content, including Music, in one easily accessible database, from which people can play online content, or if the content is not online, at least they can see looking at the details that the content is on optical storage, and where the disk is (Movie label has a storage location field).

Also, with Movielabel, each major upgrade requires a re-purchase of the product. At AUD exchange rates, the 5 major upgrades would have cost me $1,364 over 5 years. Clearly out of the question.

Anyway, I will hop on over to the AVS forums and see what I can find there.
    10940x with Creator X299 Motherboard, 32GB DRR4-3733, RTX 3080 Ti GPU
    Quote Quote